PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk Commits to Zags!

Radbooks
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
According to the Spokesman-Review, Kelly Olynyk from Kamloops has committed to play for the Zags next season.

Kelly Olynyk, a versatile 6-foot-10, 205-pound forward from Canada, has verbally committed to the Gonzaga menís basketball team, Olynykís father, Ken, said Monday.

Olynyk, who plays for South Kamloops Secondary School in Kamloops, B.C., and trains most of the rest of the year at the National Elite Development Academy in Hamilton, Ontario, where his roommate is Mangisto Arop, another member of the GUís 2009 class. Others are Sam Dower, a 6-9 forward from Osseo, Minn., and Elias Harris, a 6-7 wing from Speyer, Germany.

The rest of the article is here (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/jan/26/gu-gets-another-09-commitment/).

whatazag
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Awesome. Welcome aboard Kelly.

Kiddwell
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Very cool. Filling out the roster with another "big." Welcome aboard, Kelly. Now, please, how do you pronounce your last name?

:]

Reborn
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Very nice indeed. What a nice way to start the week off. There's nothing like good news. I think this was perfect timing for this story because it sets the tone for a week that will be full of good news.

former1dog
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Awesome. Welcome aboard Kelly.

Ditto.

It looks like we're going to be pretty "big" for a few more seasons at least and oh so very Canadian.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3104/sarducciovalrx0.gif (http://imageshack.us)

They are zags now, so I guess I'm going to have to trust them. :lmao:

former1dog
01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Now, please, how do you pronounce your last name?

Just a guess, would it be Ollie-Nik ?

hockeyzag
01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't know much about him but I like that his dad was a college basketball coach. I'm sure he was taught the right way.

2009 Commits:

Arop 6'5"
Harris 6'6"
Kong 6'7"
Dower 6'9"
Olynyk 6'10"

Looks like we're full as far as the scholarships go, boy oh boy we're going to be a tall team.

S.U. Chieftain
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Or is it "O-len-ick" just as Frank Oleynick, former S.U. star of the 70's, pronounces his name.

former1dog
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Anybody got a Canadian to English dictionary handy. :D ;)

skan72
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
It is o-lin-ick

Angelo Roncalli
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
http://profile.ak.facebook.com/v228/1460/3/n500683357_24.jpg

wazZag
01-26-2009, 12:15 PM
It looks like we're going to be pretty "big" for a few more seasons at least and oh so very Canadian.

Well, tall and Canadian at least.

Reborn
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Let's see: That gives us

Bouldin, Gray, Meech, Gibbs, Arop, Harris,
Sacre, Foster, Poling, Dower, Olynyk

I think there are only 12 schollies available. That leaves one between Daye and Bol. Does Few know something we don't?

Just_An_Old_Zag
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
All the Canadian talent is coming to GU because Spokane has such mild winters.....:lmao:

former1dog
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Does Few know something we don't?

God I hope so or we're in big, big trouble. :D

According to Zagnative's chart, though, we have 13 schollies in any given season. So, 2 left, one for Daye and one for Kong.

skan72
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
"Uh Oh! Anybody see a pattern here? 2 from Canada, 1 from Germany and a Minnisot'n, which might as well be Canada. Ah!

Nobody taken South of the border? Hmmmmm? Coaching change coming? Nah, Nah, Nah! Your telling us there isn't any talent as good as these recruits willing to come to GU from anywhere in America? Uhf, this reads like a Mystery Novel.

Unbelievable!

Mike, Sequim"

Mike, whoever you are, be you on these boards or not, be quiet.

TacomaZAG
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
there was a Frank Olynyk (sp??) who played for Seattle U back in the 70's. He was a guard who shot lights out and went by the nickname "Magic". Does anyone else remember this guy, and is there any relation to our new recruit??

Go ZAGS

Angelo Roncalli
01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Frank Olyenyk was drafted by the Sonics. Different spelling. As far as I know, there's no relation.

WRHUradio
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Olynyk reminds me of Pat Calathes, former Saint Joe's forward.

Calathes grew up as a guard but then jumped about 6 inches in a year and outgrew the guard position up to 6'10 but remained a perimeter player that could dribble a bit, shoot and once he put on strength as a Jr & Sr was a pretty effective player.

Kevin Pittsnogle also comes to mind but I feel like Olynyk is much longer than Pittsnogle and more athletic, just not as strong.

I feel like Olynyk has a very good hoops IQ so automatically he'll be able to do some good things on the floor next year in limited stretches, which will lead to him being a very good complementary player as a Jr & Sr. that with big development could reach all-conference status.

Between Sacre, Poling and Dower (and maybe Daye) the Zags for next year won't need him to do too much so perhaps Olynyk could redshirt.

zagzealot
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I would like to make an official announcement now that I have the corner market on my avatar you hosers.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Five scholarship seniors graduating: Josh, Jeremy, Micah, Ira, and Andrew. Five new scholarship players: Sam, Manny, Elias, Kelly, and (presumably) Bol. So I think we're fine for schollies. But I guess this means no Victor Rudd.

kitzbuel
01-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Just a guess, would it be Ollie-Nik ?

Ollie-Nik 'eh

former1dog
01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Ollie-Nik 'eh

:D Are you from Canada or the rez?

dnj116
01-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Welp, Welcome aboard!!!!!! Glad to have you here. And I hope you're right that we have 13 scholarship spots, cause that would certainly suck to have to turn down Bol Kong because Daye stays.

Regardless, what a young team we'll have next year.
1 senior (not sure if Foster is a junior or sophomore right now)
3 juniors (including foster in there)
2 sophomores
7 freshmen

Who do you redshirt from that crew?

jazzdelmar
01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Don't know much about him but I like that his dad was a college basketball coach. I'm sure he was taught the right way.

2009 Commits:

Arop 6'5"
Harris 6'6"
Kong 6'7"
Dower 6'9"
Olynyk 6'10"

Looks like we're full as far as the scholarships go, boy oh boy we're going to be a tall team.

How many stars for the young Canadian? Arop is a 4 in some circles; Dower a 3.

Hextall7388
01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Welp, Welcome aboard!!!!!! Glad to have you here. And I hope you're right that we have 13 scholarship spots, cause that would certainly suck to have to turn down Bol Kong because Daye stays.

Regardless, what a young team we'll have next year.
1 senior (not sure if Foster is a junior or sophomore right now)
3 juniors (including foster in there)
2 sophomores
7 freshmen

Who do you redshirt from that crew?

6 Freshmen (Gibbs, Poling, Dower, Arop, Harris and Olynek)
2 Sophmores (Meech and Sacre - medical redshirt this year)
3 Juniors (Daye, Gray & Kong)
2 Seniors (Foster and Bouldin)

A very bright future!

Obviously I'm not impartial, but I think Daye should stay for another year. If he stays for his junior year he will have the opportunity to put up AM type numbers. More size and an opportunity to be the go to guy every night....he'd be a top 5 pick in my mind.

ZagManFan
01-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Congrats and welcome aboard Kelly!!!

So what's the low down on him? He can score is about all I know. Is he a back to the basket type or in the mold of Heytvelt? Any stats on the kid?

dim4sum
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
We have plenty of shooting guards but from what I can see, Meech will be the only pure point guy in the system next year. Am I wrong? Or does Arop have good handles?
Bouldin's handles by the way have improved enormously this year. It's a certainty Few will frequently opt for the big guards which could create huge matchup problems for opponents.
Who redshirts next year???

dnj116
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM
As to who redshirts next year, that will be a big topic of discussion I imagine over the long summer months with no GU basketball going on but for us to speculate. Right now I say lets be happy with who we got, the season in hand, and the speculation will certaiinly come

former1dog
01-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Congrats and welcome aboard Kelly!!!

So what's the low down on him? He can score is about all I know. Is he a back to the basket type or in the mold of Heytvelt? Any stats on the kid?

Through the grapevine, I understand he plays on the perimeter, like a REALLY big guard.

A less skilled version of Daye, perhaps.

BobZag
01-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Welcome to Gonzaga, Kelly.

This was who the staff wanted, more than Victor Rudd. I was told today that Kelly is 1) a better fit, 2) is a better student, 3) has more upside and, 4) is more versatile [can post-up or shoot treys, play positions 2 thru 5].

A great comparison to Pat Calathes, the senior last year at St. Joe's (a tall guard-forward). He is in the mold of Josh and as big a man as his father is, who knows, Kelly could very well fill out to 240 or so before he's done at GU.

Kelly is a very fine get for the Zag program. Kudos to everyone involved.

BobZag
01-26-2009, 02:00 PM
We have plenty of shooting guards but from what I can see, Meech will be the only pure point guy in the system next year. Am I wrong? Or does Arop have good handles?
Bouldin's handles by the way have improved enormously this year. It's a certainty Few will frequently opt for the big guards which could create huge matchup problems for opponents.
Who redshirts next year???

Meech, Bouldin, Gibbs and even Gray can all play the point. Fans don't have much to worry about. Incredible depth at each position next year, like three deep.

bigblahla
01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
6 Freshmen (Gibbs, Poling, Dower, Arop, Harris and Olynek)
2 Sophmores (Meech and Sacre - medical redshirt this year)
3 Juniors (Daye, Gray & Kong)
2 Seniors (Foster and Bouldin

Don't think Kong will be a Junior. Anybody clarify?

Go!! Zags!!!

OZZag
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Through the grapevine, I understand he plays on the perimeter, like a REALLY big guard.

A less skilled version of Daye, perhaps.

Here we go BZ, the pipeline from the North is now officially up and running!

A guard, well yes Kelly is capable of bringing the ball up the court, but is going to be most effective on the Wing. I see Kelly a bit like Austin (with a slightly different skill set), as good a shooter, perhaps a stronger passer, but not as strong a defender/rebounder. He will most likley play for the Canadian Junior team with Manny at the U19 world championships in New Zealand during the summer. Depending on how he develops over the next six months, A redshirt year could do him a world of good.

The concern about playing Kelly next year would be that we would be overloaded at the 2-3. In my opinion, Manny and Bol are more ready to play D1 so even if Austin does jump (I hope that he doesn't) it will still be crowded with Matt, Steven, Grant, Manny and Bol.

I see Kelly as a great upperclassman, he already posses great Basketball IQ, but will have more bulk and experience, and cause the kind of matchup headaches that Austin does now.

BobZag
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

Kong will be a soph.

CanadianZagFan
01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Kong will be a soph.

Kong only played 1 year of college ball, so a soph he is!

OZZag
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

As far as I understand, Bol will be a Sophomore, as he has only played one year of post-secondary ball.

RenoZag
01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Very cool. Filling out the roster with another "big." Welcome aboard, Kelly. Now, please, how do you pronounce your last name?

Can't wait to hear how Ehlo does with it. . .

BobZag
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Interesting to see ACC and Big East programs starting to take serious notice of Kelly. I think the longer this commitment took the more BCS sharks would be circling. It's also gratifying.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
The '08 and '09 recruiting classes make me feel a little more comfortable about Oregon's terrible season.

SWZag
01-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the Gonzaga family, Kelly! You'll love it here!

Kelly Olynyk (Grade 12, 6-foot-10 guard-forward) -- How's this for a resume heading into his senior year: Young Men's National Cadet Team; NEDA; U17 Provincial Team. Actively being recruited by several prominent NCAA Division I schools, he is big but can play inside or outside. Big hit he took as quarterback of the Titans in a Nov. 2007 Subway Bowl playoff game at New Westminster cost him his entire 2007-08 basketball season, but there might not be a better player in B.C. this season. Played as the team's point guard in Grade 10.

Kelly Olynyk from The Province 22 Nov 2008 (http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/high_school_hamper/archive/2008/11/23/the-province-s-2008-08-boys-triple-a-basketball-preview.aspx)

Their big star is Kelly Olynyk, who came into the tournament averaging 33 points per game, he is 6 feet 10 and generally acts as the team point guard. When I first heard about this guy I thought it was some sort of gimmick move but it turns out he's got some excellent point guard skills.

Brett Black's Blog (http://www.ptleader.com/main.asp?SectionID=16&SubSectionID=16&ArticleID=22844)

Awesome. Awesome! Awesome!!!!

SWZag

spudzag
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Great reports on Kelly, great to have him as the final piece of the 2009 puzzle.

scrooner
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
More stories:

Jan 11:
http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/high_school_hamper/archive/2009/01/11/mvp-olynyk-leads-no-1-titans-past-no-6-griffins-in-beagle-2008-championship-final.aspx

Jan 18:
http://www.ronhole.com/blog/kamloops-titans-win-2009-marauder-airshow-65-45-over-pitt-meadows/

J-Mac Zag Forever
01-26-2009, 02:58 PM
The NCAA allows 13 scholership players and 2 walkons. If my addition is correct that would be a team total of 15 players.

WRHUradio
01-26-2009, 03:16 PM
My guess is that the Staff would do this...IF Daye leaves for the NBA and Rudd is still out there they would take him in a second

Though I do like the strategy of holding 1 free for transfers...ie: Taylor King and Jeff Withey, guys that GU had shots at getting which would have made next year's team having the same kind of high potential this year's does.

ZagNative
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
FWIW, this is what the scholie table looks like to me after Kelly's verbal:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Scholie%20Table/2009-01-26-2ScholieTable.jpg

TheZagPhish
01-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Can't wait to hear how Ehlo does with it. . .

I laughed out loud in a crowded public space. I'm embarrassed. Thank you.

mtzaga
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
there was a Frank Olynyk (sp??) who played for Seattle U back in the 70's. He was a guard who shot lights out and went by the nickname "Magic". Does anyone else remember this guy, and is there any relation to our new recruit??

Go ZAGS

Frank Oleynick and the Seattle Chieftans played the Zags in Kennedy Pavillion in the early 70s. I can't remember the exact year, but it was likely 72, 73 or 74. Oleynick scored a few under his average, but the Zags won the game.

thespywhozaggedme
01-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Welcome Canadian Austin. I guess with the exchange rate, an 83% Austin, is still pretty darn good.

BobZag
01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
My guess is that the Staff would do this...IF Daye leaves for the NBA and Rudd is still out there they would take him in a second

Though I do like the strategy of holding 1 free for transfers...ie: Taylor King and Jeff Withey, guys that GU had shots at getting which would have made next year's team having the same kind of high potential this year's does.

I don't think so. The staff will back off Rudd.

skan72
01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Lol, I enjoyed the exchange rate comment.
Kelly is superb student, maintaining a cool 4.0 throughout high school. He is 6'10 and plays facing the basket as he plays on the perimeter. But he is a crafty player and can post up when necessary. Although not the most athletic or quickest person he is smart and knows how to use his size and length to his advantage. He knows when to be quick, even if he is not extremely quick, which helps him take guys off the perimeter. And as his father says in the article, his range is NBA 3 right now.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Lol, I enjoyed the exchange rate comment.
Kelly is superb student, maintaining a cool 4.0 throughout high school.

That's my favorite stat of the day.

BobZag
01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
It'll be fun to follow the tourney in New Zealand this summer.

siliconzag
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM

Go ZAGS

Your old brain remembers correctly, just a little different spelling. I remember as better than he was. Here is a link.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oleynfr01.html
He played for the Sonics for awhile but was a flash in the pan. He was very slow, not meant for the NBA, but he was a good scorer for the Chieftains. He was there during an era in which they were already on the skids. The downhill slide actually started after Baylor. The Trevant and Miles era would have been better had it not been for Oregon State and Slats Gill.

Nevtelen
01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Just saw the news when I got home from work! Nice! The staff wanted Olynyk over Rudd - with all the positive press I've seen on Rudd, that's a pretty impressive statement. And a coach's kid to boot - I can't remember ever seeing a coach's kid who, no matter their skill level, wasn't very very fundamentally solid and had a good bball IQ.

It's always tough to get a real fix on how good foreign players are before they play US competition, but Olynyk sounds very impressive. I'd take a Calathes-like player with NBA range and great height at the 3 any day.

Also, I think this sheds some light on how we can be sure Kong is coming - with all the Canadian players, Ottawa will declare K2 to be Canadian soil, thereby allowing Kong to play at GU. Of course, he'll also have to live there and only take online or gym classes, but, hey, it's better than not having him. ;)

kitzbuel
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Kelly Olynyk from The Province 22 Nov 2008 (http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/high_school_hamper/archive/2008/11/23/the-province-s-2008-08-boys-triple-a-basketball-preview.aspx)

Big hit he took as quarterback of the Titans in a Nov. 2007 Subway Bowl playoff game at New Westminster cost him his entire 2007-08 basketball season, but there might not be a better player in B.C. this season.

Well, hopefully he won't be seduced by big time football now.

ZagNative
01-26-2009, 05:57 PM
I think this sheds some light on how we can be sure Kong is coming - with all the Canadian players, the Ottawa will declare K2 to be Canadian soil, thereby allowing Kong to play at GU. Of course, he'll also have to live there and only take online or gym classes, but, hey, it's better than not having him. ;)Canada, don't make us come up there again! I know those folks in BC and Ontario are a scrappy bunch, but don't get any bright ideas about claiming Spokane in the name of the Queen again! .... unless you've got some really nice fur pelts to trade ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/54-40-or-fight41.jpg

zagking
01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
is his game comparable to daye's? sounds pretty versatile from what i've read

Vanzagger
01-26-2009, 07:22 PM
is his game comparable to daye's? sounds pretty versatile from what i've read
We throw one or two Magics and one Bird next year.

cggonzaga
01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Why am I picturing a taller less athletic version of Micah?

Scotto
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
O-lin-ik is how you pronounce it.

VaBeachZAG
01-27-2009, 05:13 AM
"Canada, don't make us come up there again! I know those folks in BC and Ontario are a scrappy bunch, but don't get any bright ideas about claiming Spokane in the name of the Queen again! .... unless you've got some really nice fur pelts to trade ..."

Didn't Staint Marys put an Aussie flag up in it's gym? Soooooooooo, are we going to see a Canadian flag hanging in K2?

Schmitty
01-27-2009, 06:43 AM
"Soooooooooo, are we going to see a Canadian flag hanging in K2?"

Does this mean we have to go through 2 anthems? You know how us folks on the South Side of the Mac hate to stand for long periods of time!

jbslicer
01-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Folks in section 114 rarely stand. Worst fans in the place.

zag67
01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
I would like to welcome him and am really looking forward to seeing him play. I think that this class is going help GU be super for years to come.

But I think all of us need to not set our expectations for him to be an immediate success. From what I have read (and that is all I have to go by), he has grown tall quickly and probably needs time to mature for the position that the coaches are expecting him to play. Therefore I would not be suprized to see him redshirt next year. Depending on Austin, there may be too many players for the amount of available minutes. That way he learns what they want and gets some meat on the bones.

Good luck this year and hope that you have a great time in New Zealand.

TheZagPhish
01-27-2009, 07:56 AM

Would it help if other sections organized taunts and jeers in an attempt to amp 114's spirit? Perhaps zappers in the seats that can be remotely activated at key moments? :)

USMC69
01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Would it help if other sections organized taunts and jeers in an attempt to amp 114's spirit? Perhaps zappers in the seats that can be remotely activated at key moments? :)

Just release the Trunk Monkey, that should gt them on their feet:D

Oh yea! welcome Kelly!!!

bigparb
01-27-2009, 06:10 PM
bump

skan72
01-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Ha, some poster on hooplife called him a country boy. When he was born and raised until grade 6 in Toronto and now lives in a much smaller city. But it still has 90 000 people in it and it's main industry has nothing to do with farming.

Man, some people from big cities are ignorant.

Zaghuatanejo
01-27-2009, 06:19 PM

I've sat in that section quite a few times and it is frustrating when you go to stand up and cheer and people are telling you to sit down. The problem is many of the supporters in that section are older and it is hard for them to stand all game. Do I like it? No. However, many of these fans have been supporting GU basketball before I was born. It's a double-edged sword.

jscrk
01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
I will start this post off by stating that I know that I am probably going to get hammered for posting this comment; nevertheless, first of all, I want to welcome Kelly and his family to GU and wish him the best of luck during his years at GU. I am sure that you will like it here.
Here it goes: while I am happy to read that Kelly committed to GU, I noticed that no major college ( Pac -10, Big 10) were actively recruiting him. Can someone who knows and seen him play answer this.

bigparb
01-27-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.hoopstarscanada.com/news.pl?nid=39

also...bunch of recent Olynyk pics...click on the Kamloops links on the left(obviously)

http://www.ronhole.com/albums/sp/sc/Pitt%20Basketball/index.html

Radbooks
01-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Here it goes: while I am happy to read that Kelly committed to GU, I noticed that no major college ( Pac -10, Big 10) were actively recruiting him. Can someone who knows and seen him play answer this.

Well, it sounds like at least a few major colleges were interested in him:

Ken said his son visited San Diego and took unofficial visits to Providence and Syracuse. He said Rhode Island had verbally offered him a scholarship and that North Carolina State had told him they were close to offering. He said his son was receiving lots of interest from U.S. and Canadian colleges.

Those are Big East, ACC, A-10, and of course, a WCC school that Kelly's father said were recruiting him - this is from the original Spokesman-Review article that was posted.

jaydee77
01-27-2009, 07:43 PM
I may have the spelling wrong. As I recall, Seattle U and "Magic" came to Spokane in 1976 or 77. He was a first round pick for the Sonics. The Zags had a guard named Eric Hovey who totally outplayed him in front off a packed house and an inebriated snake pit. Zags won. Bulldog Tavern was packed.

CanadianZagFan
01-28-2009, 03:48 AM
http://www.hoopstarscanada.com/news.pl?nid=39

also...bunch of recent Olynyk pics...click on the Kamloops links on the left(obviously)

http://www.ronhole.com/albums/sp/sc/Pitt%20Basketball/index.html

Nice find!

For everyone who may have a hard time....just keep opening folders until you get to the "airshow", that will open a bunch and you will see Kamloops there.

Baldwinzag
01-28-2009, 06:21 AM

You mentioned no Big-10 schools were recruiting Kelly, yet I know for a fact both Michigan and Wisconsin were beginning to take a hard look at him. Also, BZ mentioned several ACC schools were inquiring to Olynyk as well. Good thing the Zags jumped on this kid early, because it appears his recruiting was picking up steam similar to what occured with Sam Dower's recruitment process. As you know js, Dower was being recruited solely by GU and St. Louis for almost a year, before nearly every Big-10 and a few Big East schools joined in on the fun. Kelly is for real and people in high places were beginning to notice.

Here is an excerpt from a well-known Michigan message board:

Kelly Olynyk (SF/PF 2009). Beilein appears to be looking north of the border at Kelly Olynyk from Kamloop, BC. Olynyk is a forward who is “one year from graduating” (I believe this would put him in the class of '09 but I know there have been somem issues in Canadian high school eligibility) and missed most of his junior year with a broken arm from playing football. According to the Kamloop News, Olynyk recently got a call from John Beilein’s staff:

"Earlier this week, the University of Michigan Wolverines gave him a call. It came on the heels of talks with the San Diego Toreros and the Gonzaga Bulldogs, as well as a few other programs."

Olynyk sounds like a guard who has grown into a forward and college coaches want him on the wing instead of in the backcourt. This reminds me a little bit of a guy like Robin Benzing who had more of a guard skill set in a bigger body. It has been pretty well established that Beilein values ball skills before anything else even in his forwards.

“It’s been tiring, but it’s fun,” Olynyk said. “It’s a good experience, with the travel and the games against international competition.”

In the past, Olynyk has played mostly guard for the Titans. Considering he’s still growing, his NCAA suitors are hoping to move him up to forward. “They want me to play more of a wing position,” Olynyk said. “This season, I want to play more wing. But we’ll see what we have to do to get the job done.”

USBasket lists his height at 6′8 but the Kamloop article mentions that he is “approaching 6′10″. I would leave Olynyk on the watch list until we hear more but he is worth mentioning.

Straightedge Hooper
01-28-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm a firm believer of "it's not over until it's over" therefore I'm sketchy on the Bol Kong situation, what are the chances of Victor Rudd being the last piece of the puzzle instead of Bol Kong?

J-Mac Zag Forever
01-28-2009, 07:32 AM
none to zero!

zagnut52
01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Being a Chiefs fan also, very familiar with Loops...sounds like this guy should be a great addition to the Zags. Look forward to him in a Gonzaga unitform!

hondo46
01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Frank Oleynick played for Seattle U when the Chieftains beat the Zag 53-50 in Kennedy Pavilion on 12/5 of 1974. Oleynick dominated the game as I recall. By the 75-76 season Frank was with the Sonics. As a college player Oleynick was great, not so much as a pro. The Zags did get a rare win the next time we played SU at Gonzaga (GU62-SU59) on 12/13/1976 but I believe it was Scotty Finnie who came out on fire in the second half and shot light out for the Zags win. Any win over Seattle U in those days was a treasure to remember.

BobZag
01-28-2009, 09:27 AM
The article specifically quotes Kelly's father. Syracuse, Providence and NC State were on Kelly. He visited the former two.

mtzaga
01-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Frank Oleynick played for Seattle U when the Chieftains beat the Zag 53-50 in Kennedy Pavilion on 12/5 of 1974. Oleynick dominated the game as I recall. By the 75-76 season Frank was with the Sonics. As a college player Oleynick was great, not so much as a pro. The Zags did get a rare win the next time we played SU at Gonzaga (GU62-SU59) on 12/13/1976 but I believe it was Scotty Finnie who came out on fire in the second half and shot light out for the Zags win. Any win over Seattle U in those days was a treasure to remember.

Thanks for the memory jog. I thought the Zags beat SU in December 74.

hooter73
01-29-2009, 09:27 AM
I've sat in that section quite a few times and it is frustrating when you go to stand up and cheer and people are telling you to sit down. The problem is many of the supporters in that section are older and it is hard for them to stand all game. Do I like it? No. However, many of these fans have been supporting GU basketball before I was born. It's a double-edged sword.

Yep I sit there too and constantly have to watch my mouth when there is either something really good or really bad.

I too am gettting the impression of a slightly less athletic M. Downs.

lol at Ehlo and the extange rate.