PDA

View Full Version : How to Best Defend SMC?

DixieZag
01-26-2009, 08:36 AM
I can't stop thinking about this game, which is foolish, since our next four games are all equally important in the grand scheme of things. But, I want to throw out there, SMC is a known quantity. We know everything about them, as everyone does in conference.

What are our priorities? Do we shut down Mills and make them beat us inside, that would seem to dictate a lot of man to man, and help on Mills. Do we zone? Many games have been won this year b/c teams get out of rythm b/c of our length and can't find a hole, but that opens up the long 3. I really like the idea of the full court press at least 25% of the time. SMC is talented and athletic, but they have not faced this kind of pressure, both environmental and physical, and if Mills has a downside it is his TO's.

Right now, I love the idea of throwing the kitchen sink at them, we are so versatile and can do so many things, I would favor changing up defenses often, man to man, zone, press, really try to keep them out of any sense of rhythm. I would love the thoughts of people that know more than me, aka everybody.

bartruff1
01-26-2009, 08:46 AM
the press wouldn't work against their guards. I also suspect that Few will make them beat us with the 3....if they can hit 10 of them, they have a chance. Probably a lot of Zone...

CDC84
01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Pack the middle, and if SMC gets blazing hot from 3 point land, make adjustments. The Gaels are not a good 3 point shooting team at 33%. The priority has got to be to limit Mills' penetration, not give Simpson/Samhan easy looks, and to keep Simpson off the offensive glass. The Zags will not lose this game if they hold 2 of the big trio to season averages and the other guy well below his season average. Of course that's easier said than done, but it is what they need to aim for.

DixieZag
01-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Learned something already, I thought Mills was the personification of "zone-buster"-- a packed zone helps protect Daye a little which I like, I worry he will have two fouls on the jump ball. Also lets us unleash big Will for a while to really cause havoc.

CDC84
01-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Daye and Heytvelt cannot afford to get into major foul trouble in this game. I suspect we may see Foster more than normal because this is one game where Ira Brown’s size is going to limit him somewhat against SMC’s big frontline.

gamagin
01-26-2009, 09:31 AM
what I hope we do with smc, besides what has already suggested, is pick them up with each inbound pass throughout the game. Make them work to get past midcourt on time and make them work to even set up, much less take a shot.

It seems like Mills can get frustrated and if anyone can frustrate him, it should be us when we set our minds to it.

When we create this kind of chaos, it seems like the rest of our games kicks in, too. So it's not just a matter of discouraging them as it is encouraging ourselves.

I think the Kennel is going to serve us well, too. The community and the KC are really up for this one and I don't think it will be pleasant for the visitors.

Go Zags !

BobZag
01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Tainted seafood.

Bwahaha Bwahahahaa

TacomaZAG
01-26-2009, 09:57 AM
on the zone. Matchup zone with 3/4 court pressure on Mills, but mix in some m2m also to keep it balanced and keep them off guard. Will could be a real asset if we play a lot of zone, and help keep Josh and Austin out of foul trouble. Make Mills beat us from behind the arc, if we can keep him to his season average (33%) we will be fine.

BTW, I have been gone for a few days and BZ looks a lot better than a week or so ago. Is it just me??????????

Go ZAGS

Zagpower
01-26-2009, 10:11 AM
BTW, I have been gone for a few days and BZ looks a lot better than a week or so ago. Is it just me??????????

BobZag was once again on Extreme Makeover. He is the Ken Jennings of that show.

GoZAGsMang
01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Seems like we just need to play GU ball-

Couple of things that could help us:

Keep the pressure on Mills, 90ft of pressure, Bouldin and Pargo should post up on him. Keep him chasing on defense.

We should get their big guys in foul trouble- Which means JH needs to be aggressive and the guards need to drive to the hole. MD and IRA need to have a couple of big dunks.

Few needs to keep the tempo up and manage the substitutions.

Basically, if we can get Samhan crynin- the GU fans wont be.

To sum it up- do like Bob and Walt and "finish things"

GoZAGsMang

cjm720
01-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I'd like to see us throw Will and Ira! in early to get their bigs in foul trouble and limit ours. I'd say we'll see a lot of subs this game with the aforementioned plus Meech on Mills plus Downs, but I absolutely have no clue when and what Few's gonna do. Here's hoping for a "W."

GO ZAGS!!

jim77
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm not too worried about our defense. It hasn't cost us a game all year. Its our offense sputtering that has cost us all 4 losses. I like GU's chances in this one.

Das Zagger
01-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Tainted seafood.

Bwahaha Bwahahahaa

Also would have accepted "eye poke."

fedwayzag
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
I think we will see IRA get some minutes. I actually think he is our best match up on Simpson. Just as strong and can jump higher. Just tell IRA to block simpson out when he is in there and I think things will be fine. I am a little leery of to much zone. So easy for them to get offensive rebounds which is their strength and has been our weakness.

marczagfan
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
We keep hearing how our bigs need to handle themselves against the interior of the gaels. Heytvelt and Daye versus Simpson and Samhan? I like our chances, heytvelt is much more athletic than samhan, daye and simpson are most likely a push athletically, but daye wins in a landslide talent wise. The question should be how are they going to handle our bigs? Heytfelt is healthy and playing well this year, it will be interesting to see samhan try to defend him outside.