PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Ouch!!

McZag
03-16-2007, 07:05 PM
That game reminded me so much of the GU/UCLA game last year. Virginia Tech goes on a 12-0 run in the last minutes to steal the win. It brought back so many awful memories of 2006. So painful. Man that hurts. I 'm glad I dont have that kind of pain this year.

CDC84
03-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Big difference between GU last year and this year's Illini team: Illinois is not a good offensive team whatsoever. That drought at the end of the game was hardly a surprise based on what their team did during the regular season.

McZag
03-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Leading an entire tournament game and then failing to finish hurts regardless of your seed or how you performed during the regular season.

ZagNative
03-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Doyel's column (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10064832/1) is just brutal about today's Illinois loss, even going after the Illinois message board. (Emphasis added in bolding in the quote.)

Attention Illinois message boarders -- your entire program stinks
March 16, 2007
By Gregg Doyel
CBS SportsLine.com National Columnist

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Show me a message board and, most of the time, I'll disagree with whatever's on it. The people who congregate there don't want the truth. They want to vent, they want to spew and they want to do it in a place where everyone agrees with them.

All due respect, you people scare me.

But not you people at Illinois. Not today. Not after what I saw Friday night at Nationwide Arena, where 12th-seeded Illinois folded in a 54-52 loss to fifth-seeded Virginia Tech.

Illinois fans have one of the busiest message boards in college basketball. It's also one of the most unreasonable, illogical message boards. Maybe that's redundant. Anyway ...

Not today. Today, let the Illinois message board sing. Let it shriek. Let it make all the ugly noise it can, because Illinois basketball is a worthy target. And by "Illinois basketball" I mean everyone associated with it. The players who choked on the court. The assistants who recruited this mid-major amalgamation of talent. The head coach who was trying to play checkers while Seth Greenberg was dabbling in chess. And the athletics director who sets a miserable tone for the whole thing.

It's funny, because I find the InsideIllinois.com board (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=169#S=169&F=2616&T=263458&FIX=1) compelling, in a train-wreck sort of way. Especially during the great fight with Indiana over Eric Gordon, the IB was over-the-top drama every day.

IB posters, on those occasions where they've mentioned the Zags, have not endeared themselves to me, as the posters have tended to assume a swaggering pose, reflective, I suppose, of only certain members of the online fanbase, but neverless leaving me with a bad taste about Illinois basketball.

Gary Parish has also engaged in his own wars with the Illinois message board. I think all of the controversy over the IB has added to the troubles of Bruce Weber and the Illinois program, a cautionary tale, perhaps, for message board moderators everywhere.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm a Zags fan tonight and not an Illini fan.

RebornZag
03-16-2007, 08:26 PM
A bad memory

ZaggyStardust
03-16-2007, 08:28 PM
This may sound trite and tacky but . . .

I LOVED IT!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cuz, second to my Zags are my beloved AZ Wildcats who happened to have a similar meltdown against Illinois a couple of years ago.... In fact, I had to endure meltdowns two years in a row - IL vs AZ 05, UCLA vs Zags 06, but I digress. Illinois was soooooooooo rude to AZ fans over that game that I believe this is just a little KARMA..... What goes around, comes around baby.... At least UCLA displayed a little class and didn't come rub it in constantly. In fact, up until today (I presume) IL NEVER gave up an opportunity to pour a little more salt in the wound. The Illinois fans (at least message board variety) are the worst in the nation. Perhaps this will humble them a bit.

GO ZAGS!!!!!