PDA

View Full Version : Question for Zag fans

BobZag
03-16-2007, 05:41 PM
How do you feel emotionally, mentally and physically? Do you feel drained, tired, worn out, spent? ...even burned out just a touch? The least bit weary after this journey? Anyone feel like they just got off a roller coaster?

I do.

Imagine how the team feels.

Try to run your best race, play your best game, give a career-best performance... The legs don't quite move as fast as you want. For some reason, the easy shots aren't easy anymore. You call on your body to move it, to go go go, to be accurate and strong...but no matter how hard you try you can't do what you were revved up to do just a couple weeks ago, or back in November. Your mind wanders.

How many of you feel that way?

ZagNative
03-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I'll probably get hammered for this, but as of 7:03 p.m. PST on March 16, 2007, what I'm feeling, quite honestly, is relief. It was a tough season, exhausting for fans as well as players. Personally, I believe everyone gave it their best shot, and they did well, though not as well in the end as we would have wished.

I don't think I feel burn out, because I don't match the symptoms (http://www.helpguide.org/mental/burnout_signs_symptoms.htm).

I'm looking forward to next year. I won't be googling Gonzaga obsessively for a while, but that's probably a good thing.

Anyway, for whatever reason, right or wrong, I feel relief. No more worries about this year's team and season. As others have said on this forum, I really do believe the best is yet to come.

ZagDaddy
03-16-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't feel like that at all. I know it's tantamount to heresy around these parts to say this but as much as I love the Zags my expectations for this year's team were never over the top. Once the injury bug hit and hit hard I just didn't see that we had the depth to do anything herculean.

I have to admit that I was mildly encouraged at the beginning of the season when Josh came out playing like a man. I thought that he had matured with the birth of his child and now realized the gift he had and what that could mean for his new responsibilities. But there were games where he didn't bring it and I began to doubt his resolve. Without him being dominant a deep run in the tourney was doubtful.

From that point forward I began to look at this year as a rebuilding year--a year to watch the boys grow until help arrived next year. With that perspective there were plenty of highlights. Bouldin's solid play, Derek and Sean making the best of their talents and Pendo's lunch pail efforts to name a few.

The "incident" provided the lowlight-- and oddly enough--the spark for the highlight of the season: The team redefining themselves and coming back to win the regular season and the tourney. Nobody could have predicted that. It was amazing.

So, I am not feeling spent. I feel energized looking forward to next season which should be a roller coaster ride and the season after that where barring injuries could be the most magical year ever.

For now, I'm resigned to retreat to my annual fantasy. I'll get a few months to delude myself into thinking that this is the year Few will make defense a priority and hire someone who can teach it. Please don't wake me. Let an old man dream.

tyra
03-16-2007, 06:25 PM
There's only one word to describe how I feel: grateful. I honestly enjoyed this season with all its ups and downs more than last year's dominating season. And i am grateful to all the young men who work so incredibly hard to entertain us all and to make us proud. Oh, I admit I have a little bit of let down calculating the months before next year but that burden is substantially lightened by the excitement of next year's team and the new recruits. Thank you one and all Zags and those of you on the Board and especially BobZ.

MDABE80
03-16-2007, 06:45 PM
The brain runs the body and all those nerves and muscles. As I tried to be clearer on this last night.... emotional and psychological exhaustion just renders the body incapable. Legs won't run well, eye-hand stuff is dull.....just no sizzle to get things done.

It's what we saw and I feel bad for the kids. I know what I saw. Saddens me greatly...not for me....for them. I'm used to it. Men just push on. Abe

USMC69
03-16-2007, 06:48 PM
There's only one word to describe how I feel: grateful. I honestly enjoyed this season with all its ups and downs more than last year's dominating season. And i am grateful to all the young men who work so incredibly hard to entertain us all and to make us proud. Oh, I admit I have a little bit of let down calculating the months before next year but that burden is substantially lightened by the excitement of next year's team and the new recruits. Thank you one and all Zags and those of you on the Board and especially BobZ.

I think this sums up how I feel. I am really looking forward to the next couple of years though. the "best" is yet to come.

RebornZag
03-16-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm not spent or exhausted or anything like that either. I was disappointed last night, hurt inside this morning, but the hurt has dissipated into life. I went to work with my 5th graders today and all was well in this life. I love the Zags, and will miss them, but they are only a PART of my life. I love basketball and I am enjoying learning to be a great fan!! It's fun. For me, in the end I do it because I enjoy it. I think I am fortunate to love basketball as I do, and to have a team to root wholeheartedly like the Zags. The Zags are no normal run of the mill teams, or programs. We are all lucky to be associated with one of the best programs in the country.

The team had a down year. But we fought our hardest in every game. They never gave up, nor did I. I believed until the very end...I am NOT disappointed tonight. The hurt is leaving, and is much smaller now. It is being replaced by the HOPE of an even better year next year.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I'll probably get hammered for this, but as of 7:03 p.m. PST on May 16, 2007, what I'm feeling, quite honestly, is relief.

Would you like to edit your post before you send woohoo off the cliff? :lmao:

ZagNative
03-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Would you like to edit your post before you send woohoo off the cliff? :lmao:

I'd be willing to bet that, just once, WooHoo would enjoy posting the time in ... what is it ... CST? ... and challenge the rest of us to figure out what the heck time that translates to for the left- and east-coasters.

So, WooHoo, post your deepest, most intimate thoughts here about your mental condition after the Zags loss, as of a time of your choosing. If we don't hear from you soon, we'll be compelled to send the police to check to make sure you're not still curled up in a ball of depression in your closet.

http://www.davidickeforum.com/forum/images/smiles/woohoo.gif

Nevtelen
03-16-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm feeling mostly... peace. I'm a little wistful that the team didn't go out with as strong of a performace and I might have liked (and, more importantly, as Raivio and Mallon might have liked - I always hated in any competitive anything not the feeling of loosing, but the feeling that I could have done better and I knew it) but I really do feel that this year this team and the program looked major adversity in the eye and stood up to it. I feel that what the team was able to do this year was bigger than winning a couple of tourney games in many ways and I'm proud of them for what they accomplished.

I'm looking for them to bounce back next year and have another strong year, one of the strongest yet.

Mantua
03-16-2007, 09:27 PM
For the last several years i did feel that way, but much more done in by State B in which I had an emotional investment a bit closer to home. I think I felt pretty bad when the Sonics were labled a Cinderella after winning the championship under Lenny Wilkens. and on and on...

I do know something of what those wonderful Zags endure. Fans have ups and downs, but gee, the kids and the coaches are exhausted and under pressure until the media and tournament fade slowly into the summer sun. The emotional repercussions can be tough on the psyches of all losing teams. According to a study I read, college sports can have a negative effect on members of losing teams that colors their entire college experience. That's why I am proud of how Gonzaga and the Spokane community see our players as young people worthy of our affection and nuturing. Is that why you asked the question, Bobzag, to remind us of who and what we are all proud of here and need to appreciate and protect?

bigblahla
03-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Since the Butler game it's been like BZ described for me.

I'm still coming to grips with that end of the season mentality, there's not another Zags game. The wife, kids and dogs are glad the season's over.

I thought we might get WSU and Duke but expected to drop the Georgia and Virginia games, Nevada was a toss up.

I loved the way the team pulled together at the end of the year. The run to the WCC title, the WCC tourney championship.

I just spent twelve hours in bed it's my after season hangover, it'll be better today.

Go!! Zags!!!

Bocco
03-17-2007, 08:46 AM
At the end of every season its the same, I feel disappointment and and a sense of emptiness. Disappointed because the season is over, and a sense of emptiness because there I have to wait until November to see the Zags play again.

Last year was worse than this year. Last year the final four was within our grasp and we let it slip away. This year I knew it would be a transition year with the JP and Adam gone. Despite the disappointment of this season ending, this year has ended (unlike the past few years) with a sense of satistfaction since year's team exceeded my expectations. Even though it looked bleak after Josh and Theo's arrest, and the Santa Clara loss, this year's team regrouped and managed to be canfernece champions, to win the WCC tournament, and make the NCAA's. So all in all there was less pain than in the last few years.

Already anticipation is setting in and as I impatiently begin waiting for the days, weeks, and months go by until next season begins.

thickman1
03-17-2007, 09:02 AM
I guess I'm feeling disappointed and proud. I'm disappointed in how the season ended. I'd have much rather seen the team come out and play well and lose instead of laying an egg like they did. I understand all the commments about being spent and tired, run-down, etc. but I believe that if you can't get up for the NCAA tourney what can you get up for? However, on the flipside....

I'm also very proud of this group of guys. They fought through adversity all season long, from the travel to the Josh incident they never gave up and kept fighting through. They played hard and took their game to another level to get that WCC championship. I just feel that down the stretch this team played with such heart and you can't ask for anything more than that.

I'm very much looking forward to next season. I think the future is so bright for this club.

siliconzag
03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Like many who have posted, my emotions were spent prior to the game. The season was full of unfulfilled promises, which is partly due to unrealistic expectations. I thought we would beat Indiana. Until about six minutes remained, I thought we would come back. It was of course devoid of reason, the idea that we would lose to them didn't cross my mind.

When I saw some of the Sacramento fans get up and leave I knew two things: we were going to lose, and there would be traffic jam of major proportions getting out of Arco. And my suspicions were confirmed.

The program is what it is. It is not an elite program. And maybe it is better that it is not. Perhaps next year, I once again told myself as we all walked to the car in silence. Sacramento is a nicer venue than Albequerque or Salt Lake City I think. At least the weather was beautiful. And the arena was nice. And it was great to see Russell and the Few children who bounced up and down in front of me. I kept thinking my services would be needed at any intant as they played with the arm rests.

The Zag fans were enthusiastic, but had little to cheer about. Some say it was the missed bunnies, some say it was the open three looks we gave them, some say it was the lack of offensive rebounding, some say it was the lack free throw shooting. But honestly we failed in every aspect of the game. Our defense was not good when it needed to be. We couldn't stop them from three shots in the first half. We couldn't stop them inside in the second half. We didn't rebound or shoot well from the foul line in either half. I think we were outplayed in every aspect of the game.

Feelings? To be honest, very few. This team didn't engender the kind of emotion in me that other teams have (and I am an emotional person). I hope to get the feelings back for next year. And a good long off season is what I personally need for it. The only guys I felt sorry for were Sean and Derek. They must feel really betrayed and sad that two of their teammates was so careless in their personal conduct as to diminish their chances to visit San Jose. And then there is the oft quoted saying, that "...what doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Well, I hope so. Because those two guys have been through some terrible disappointments.

Gonzaga's basketball program needs some introspection this year. I would begin with what ideally makes a Jesuit University unique. And ask the question: "Are our program goals aligned with the overall mission of a Jesuit University?" And as a first step, I propose placing a symbol of what brought many of us to Gonzaga in the first place, in conspicuous black and white, a Jesuit priest on the bench. Certainly there is somebody over at Jesuit House who can minister to these young men. They deserve spiritual guidance, Sometimes it even helps them from losing their way.

Sili

BobZag
03-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Ready to enjoy warmer weather, hit all the movies, go to Broadway musicals, to Coeur d'Alene, to the lake, park, concerts, enjoy barbeques, hit some GU hoops camps to watch recruits, hit a few pick-up games with new players, catch Tiger Woods, a little Mariners, some racing...

No more drama. Just relax and enjoy.

ZagNick
03-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I feel relief....this team went as far as they could with the talent they had on the floor....although I questioned several coaching moves during the season, I think the staff did well with the hand they were dealt.

The Good...
Pendo's late season play and becoming an offensive threat.
Downs having a full season...maybe getting stronger and having better shot selection in 2007-2008.
Kuso' defense.
Sacre, Brown and Daye....Daye just keeps getting better.
NCAA experience for Bouldin, Downs, Kuso....will help next year.

The Bad
Pargo deciding to get a new haircut to show off for the NCAAs and then playing like his haircut.
Kuso's offense.
Gray's play in state championship game...he looked sluggish and had no outside shot.

The Ugly
Josh and Theo.

Anyone know how Sacre fared this season ?

zagco
03-17-2007, 11:55 AM
As much as it might surprise some, I could not agree MORE with silicon.

The Jesuits need to look very, very carefully at what has become of the men's basketball program, everything from the recruiting, the team chemistry, and the administrative decisions.

We cannot allow basketball to become a golden cow.

DrDrivel
03-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I'd be willing to bet that, just once, WooHoo would enjoy posting the time in ... what is it ... CST? ... and challenge the rest of us to figure out what the heck time that translates to for the left- and east-coasters.

So, WooHoo, post your deepest, most intimate thoughts here about your mental condition after the Zags loss, as of a time of your choosing. If we don't hear from you soon, we'll be compelled to send the police to check to make sure you're not still curled up in a ball of depression in your closet.

http://www.davidickeforum.com/forum/images/smiles/woohoo.gif

Not CST. We're on Daylight Savings Time, so it's CDT.

ZagNative
03-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Not CST. We're on Daylight Savings Time, so it's CDT.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/259/brilliantie0.gif

Some days there's just nobody home at ZN's home ...

wazmix
03-17-2007, 07:59 PM
For me, everything gets compared to last year, and this isn't even close.

It was a beautiful day Friday, and I wasn't swamped with work (like last year. That SUCKED !!!!! I think I wanted to cry in my truck when I came to work.)
Plus, I was looking forward to golf this weekend. One of my golfing buddy's wife is getting ready to have their first baby. It's all very exciting, and nothing dampens that.

I knew this team would have to play WAY over their heads to advance far into the tournament, so I just wanted to enjoy the ride.
These were boys-against-men in some games, and you just have to nurture for the future and enjoy the games for what they are.

I knew it would end at some point (it does for 63 teams), and when the easy shots don't go down, you just have to throw your hands up and say that the required LUCK of winning wasn't going to happen for 1 game, let alone 6 miracles in a row.

Also, some of the disappointment of last year was a feeling that all of "this" would come to an end for a while.
We have a lot of fun here, and we get to know each other.
Someone mocked the Bunnies........and we all know they are goofy, and superstitions are silly.............but was it really silly that on gamedays, we came together in one thread to "check in" with our enthusiasm that we look forward to tipoff after working so hard all day?? Hell no.
I guess that's what I miss when the final game is done........The anticipation on gameday.

But there was good news last Summer. The board stayed active, with plenty of excitement about recruiting and scheduling. (I remember doing a Duke-game countdown. That was fun..........6 months early.)
The community was intact during the offseason, and that softened the blow of how the season ended for us last year.

So, this loss doesn't sting as much. We can always look forward to another game. We just have to be more patient than we hoped and DREAMED.

Zag 77
03-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Last year the loss to UCLA was devastating since the expectations were so high. This year, I never had those high expecatations despite the early wins over NC and Texas, since we got those early before the opponents had started to gell. No knock on Derek or Mallon, but I never felt we had the consistent talent with so many younger guys to get very far. This team showed a lot of character in adversity, and the coaches did a great late season job to re-tool and get us into the NCAA's.

I feel sad that it is over, but I feel we got about as far as we could go with what we had (I don't think having Heytvelt would have made that much difference against UI).

GonzagaLove
03-17-2007, 09:21 PM
I enjoyed the year, but am also worn out. I am ok with the outcome, too. If you would have told me at the start of the year we would have 20+ wins, conference champs, 10 seed in the tournament and without Josh, I don't think I would have believed it.

Zagco...good point, but I think you may be a little dramatic. Josh and Theo's actions should make the University take a long hard look at the direction it is and should be going in. But, the post-Josh Zags made me proud of our players, school and future. I hope I am not proven wrong.

zagco
03-18-2007, 07:50 AM
I think the general concerns I have are bigger than Josh and Theo's drug charges.

I've been using the word "chemistry" to describe my concerns for some time, as in how well our players get along, how they gell as a team, and how they contribute the growth of the program.

I am also concerned about how we got to this point, and I look to Mark Few and administrators as being the responsible parties. I don't want anyone fired, but I think we've been stagnant for too long. Sometimes change needs to be made--people need to move on to other things and new people come in and revitalize what was old.

I have no magic prescriptions, but I have grown almost despondent over these things. If we continue down this path we're now on, I believe there will be more bad news to come, and we'll have yet another year of turmoil. Let's fix it now, I say!

VanZagar
03-18-2007, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=zagco;15829]
The Jesuits need to look very, very carefully at what has become of the men's basketball program, everything from the recruiting, the team chemistry, and the administrative decisions.

The Jesuits have a complicated history themselves. After suppression in most of the Catholic world by Pope Clement XIV they were eventually reinstated. Just like Josh only the crimes were much larger and the suspension lasted half a century.

zagco
03-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Good point Van Zagar! Suspending Josh for half a century might be overboard, though. :)

siliconzag
03-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Write it down. May never happen again. I think we are asking for getting back to what got us started. Let's all re read Brave Hearts. Let's start recruiting kids with strong character in addition to athletic abilities. Let's remember that the Jesuits have done a great deal to overcome their ignominious origins. That a Jesuit education is still of great value. And that Gonzaga is not a basketball factory. It is a Jesuit University with a fine basketball program. And let's find a Jebbie to sit on the bench even if they have to draw straws. Nobody can replace Tony, but there has to be somebody willing to serve as the team Chaplin. And the idea that we need to recruit young men who are content in being part of the Gonzaga community, who are student athletes, and do not see GU as a stepping stone to the NBA, that is very important. It sets up a dynamic of mutual exploitation which is very un Gonzaga. Or at least it used to be...

ZagsNP
03-19-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm DISAPPOINTED that we didn't go further in the NCAA, but who isn't. I'm disappointed for Sean and Derek that their time at GU is over. Sure going to miss watching them play. I'm disappointed in Josh and Theo.
I'm a bit RELIEVED, it has been such an uphill battle this year, but the team and their fans pulled together, and did the best they could given the unforseen circumstances. I'm relieved that we made it through this season despite all the trauma and drama!
I'm a bit PERPLEXED with my assumption that we would always make it to the NCAA tournament. This was the first year since I've been following the Zags, that there was a good chance we would not be invited to "The Dance."
Surprisingly, I'm NOT DEPRESSED like I have been the past 3-4 seasons when it ended. I'm HOPEFUL for next year's team. And I'm PROUD to be a Zag fan!

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Write it down. May never happen again. I think we are asking for getting back to what got us started. Let's all re read Brave Hearts. Let's start recruiting kids with strong character in addition to athletic abilities. Let's remember that the Jesuits have done a great deal to overcome their ignominious origins. That a Jesuit education is still of great value. And that Gonzaga is not a basketball factory. It is a Jesuit University with a fine basketball program. And let's find a Jebbie to sit on the bench even if they have to draw straws. Nobody can replace Tony, but there has to be somebody willing to serve as the team Chaplin. And the idea that we need to recruit young men who are content in being part of the Gonzaga community, who are student athletes, and do not see GU as a stepping stone to the NBA, that is very important. It sets up a dynamic of mutual exploitation which is very un Gonzaga. Or at least it used to be...

I couldn't agree more...Fr. Tony married my wife and I...and I know, just know he doesn't want his spot empty...to be continued (not ended)..after all

zaguarxj
03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
The sun is shining, the crocus are blooming, morel season is just around the corner, and trillions of yeast are busy making beer from malted barley at this very moment. Life is good!

siliconzag
03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
The sun is shining, the crocus are blooming, morel season is just around the corner, and trillions of yeast are busy making beer from malted barley at this very moment. Life is good!

They never showed up this year in California. I am jealous. But mushrooms can get you into trouble. Just be sure you don't leave any in plain site while driving through Cheney. ;)

Sili

Angelo Roncalli
03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
I understand that Fr. Ganz may have a seat at the end of the bench in the near future.

RenoZag
03-20-2007, 12:37 PM
It was a stressful year from a fan's POV. Glad it is over and glad to know we will get a respite from the mushroom & Cheney references for a while.

I hope JH & TD have their schoolwork & other obligations well in hand and rebound from their misadventure to make a positive contribution to the 07-08 edition of the Zags.

From the info posted throughout the year on this & the previous Scout board, it sounds like there's some talented fresh blood coming to the MAC next season. I'll look forward to hearing about them via this bulletin board.

In the meantime, there's the rest of the NCAA tourney to follow; the Masters isn't far away; the weather here in Reno will settle soon and me and the good arm are looking forward to seeing what my new golf game resembles. . .
The sole heir has a European trip in July, Mrs. RZ is busy with her gardens, and the "to do" list seems to get longer during the Zags' season. And then there's the Triple Crown prep races and the TC events themselves. . .more Big Time golf and the next thing you know, we're back to counting the days until practice begins at the MAC. . .

zaguarxj
03-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Call me an old fool if you want, but I believe that PMAC will be challenged to provide some senior leadership next year and will come through with flying colors. From what I've seen on TV (a very limited perspective), he appears to be a reluctant warrrior. He's all too willing to defer to other players. Next year, as one of only two seniors, there will be nobody else to whom he can defer. I think (hope?) PMAC will surprise us all.

RebornZag
03-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Sili: I enjoyed reading your post, and as always, you have some great ideas to ponder. I do understand your perspective on the kind of student-athlete that Gozaga should be recruiting, but I do not agree with your summation.

I do not see why a young 18 year old student athlete should not come to Gonzaga University, and hoping beyond hope that one day he might be able to do the one thing he had always dreamt of doing...playing in the NBA. I know I dreamt about it as a kid...all the time.

I grew up in a small Catholic Community in Yakima and went to an all boys Catholic high school. Our football coach was all Notre Dame Irish. I soon was too. I loved Notre Dame and it stood for the greatest football team in America, and it was a Catholic University. Back in those days it was a very neat thing for a young Catholic boy to be able to identify with a winning Catholic Program. Back in those days Catholics were not all that liked. I got in many a fight as a young boy because kids in the neighborhood took pleasure in calling me a dirty Cat-licker. Those were fighting words to me. My favorite Notre Dame playes were all Catholic boys who I could identify with. Because of Notre Dame I was able to dream of becoming something very special in life too, and I had a deep passion to be a great athlete.

Gonzaga has probably not quite reached that status, but I can tell you it is closing in. Gonzaga is becoming to the Basketball world what Notre Dame was/is to football. Everyone knows about Gonzaga. And many, many young kids dream of playing there one day. My grandson is one of them. When Gonzaga lost to Indiana the other nght he was balling his eyes out...yes...he was. He LOVES Gonzaga. He's 8 years old. And there's thousands just like him across this country. Basketball at Gonzaga in todays world is helping young boys Dream of great dreams, just as I did as a young boy dreaming of Notre Dame.

I don't see young men graduating from high school trying to use Gonzaga nor do I see Gonzaga using them. It isn't mutual exploitation. What a negative and sour thought, Sili. That's ugly. No it's mutual dream buiding. I see nothing wrong with trying to be the very Best at something. Being the Best is what we try to teach our children and students. Young students athletes are beginning to see Gonzaga as The Best of The Best....for them. It's not an exploitative thought...in my opinion. It's a dream hoping to be realized. Young men playing basketball now believe in Gonzaga as a way to fulfill their childhood dream. Kids, graduating from high school who are great athletes because of what they've put into developing their talent, are great young men. And they now see that there is this little school in Spokane Wa where they think they can come and win a national championship!!! OH that excites me. It does. A couple of the kids told Few that they ain't leaving Gonzaga until they win a national championship....It's their goal. And it's a worthy goal I believe. And it's AWESOME that they believe Mark Few is The Coach who will take them to The Promise Land.....

I think it's an insult to Our Great University to even suggest that Gonzaga could ever be a basketball factory. I hate that term, and especially when it's used in the same sentence with Gonzaga. Gonzaga has a great basketball program, and it only adds lustre to a great university that has a great law school, a great engineering school, a great science school, and on and on. Thousands upon thousand of great people go to gonzaga and go on to be very successful at life and a few even very great contributers to life. Why should we not hope for the same for our athletic program and in particular basketball.

All people have an innate desire to dream....we are born with this thing in us that we call dreams....All people seem to need this thing....Athletics is one avenue that can make people dream...and Gonzaga helps people dream big dreams....I see nothing wrong with being able to attract young athletics who may be some of the very best in the country that do what they do. I think it's a great priveledge for All of us to have them come into our school and what we call family/community. And I already know they feel that way about Gonzaga because Ive seen them say it in print. I feel it odd that some of these great young men can LOVE us, and so look forward to being in OUR community/familiy...and we are so "cold" and unaffectionate toward them it seems to me...at least when we talk of "mutual exploitation." I am sorry but I just feel that these young men would be very offended if they knew we (The people in the so called wonderful community of Gonzaga) thought that about them.

You see. I see nothing wrong with wanting to be great. I see nothing wrong with working to becoming great. But, I also am not nieve to believe that if it is pursued with the wrong motive (selfishness) it will destroy an individual. I believe that this is your concern too Sili...But I feel the great thing about Gonzaga, Mark Few, and the basketball family, will do everything in it's wonderful ability to help individuals become great people as well as great athletes. And I think so far Gonzaga is achieving that. And THAT is why more and more promissing young great talented men are and will be seeking out Gonzaga University. Not for mutual exploitation (meaning that each is using the other)...but to help each other achieve their highest potential...and their greatest dream. I think that that's how it should be!!! Here at Gonzaga as much as (and probably a whole lot more) it is at the University of Washington or Washington State University.