PDA

View Full Version : Reno Gazette article on WAC Challenge

Angelo Roncalli
01-21-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm pretty ho-hum on the idea of WAC-WCC series. I'd rather have a home/home with some MWC teams. Air Force has always seemed a natural to me.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090120/SPORTS06/901200337/1018/SPORTS

BobZag
01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Plenty of lukewarm thoughts about this from folks in the WAC.

Angelo Roncalli
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
While a WCC/WAC challenge may make it easier to fill out a schedule, it doesn't have much appeal.

It's not going to get ESPN's interest.

Does GU want to end up with home and homes against San Jose, Boise State or, God forbid, Hawaii? Pass.

I'd much rather have semi-neutral/semi-neutrals against the likes of Indiana, Arizona, etc., and have a few guarantee games. We already have a guarantee game against a WAC team (Idaho).

UberZagFan
01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
A straight challenge top-to-bottom probably doesn't benefit all teams in each conference. The WCC missed the boat on setting this up with the MWC or MVC.

CDC84
01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
The basic problem with a WAC/WCC challenge is that outside of Nevada and maybe Utah State, the WAC just doesn't have any consistent basketball programs. And even Nevada isn't all that great this year. In order for Gonzaga to be excited by such an event, the WCC needs to be facing a league like the A-10 which has consistent programs like Xavier, St. Joe's, Dayton and Temple, as well as programs like URI which produce solid teams every other year. The presence of consistent programs would enable Gonzaga, and for that matter, St. Mary's, to rotate opponents without being forced to play bottom feeder programs in ridiculous home and home arrangements.

The MWC usually produces 3-4 solid teams, although the teams can vary. I probably would've agreed to a MWC/WCC challenge. I have mixed feelings about the MVC because that league is not what it was 3-4 years ago. It's a one bid league this season.

jpwils
01-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I agree that an A-10 challenge game would be more exciting with
someone like St. Joe's . Duquesne is very much on the rise right now and would be a good test as well.

HillBillyZag
01-21-2009, 03:57 PM
The A-10 and/or Missouri Valley Conferences are both excellent basketball leagues. For entertaining, competitive games any home & home series with their top teams would be a hoops junkies dream. I salivate at the thought on getting St. Joes, Xavier, Dayton, St. Bonnies, UMass and the rest to come to K2. Likewise, Creighton, Bradley, Southern Ill., Northern Iowa, Witchita State etc, would also provide some decent competition. For my money these conferrences teams would be much more likely to give us home and home games than the BCS leagues. Honestly the Big Ten, Big East,, ACC, SEC and PAC10 have everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing us on either neutral site or a our place. Instead of gunning for all whales, a few sharks like ourselves would add a lot to the schedule.

kitzbuel
01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Bracket Buster could have a potential WCC/WAC match up between SMC and Utah St.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/bb.html