PDA

View Full Version : Brett Kingma Highlight Tape

mrob7
01-20-2009, 07:54 PM
http://vimeo.com/2885002

A highlight tape I put together for Brett of the games I caught before he broke his left arm on the 6th

bigparb
01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
the J is pure...no doubt about it.....would love to see him in a Zag uni.....a 3-pt bomber of old....... :)

Angelo Roncalli
01-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Really liked the way he used his left hand.

Great bloodlines. Him mother was a superb distance runner. Won Bloomsday one year (she was Gail Volk in those days).

MDABE80
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Is there a special player I need. It comes up but won't play. Nice ad for the kid...man things have changed.

mrob7
01-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Kingma is the real deal. These are only from 4 games, and there are already all these highlights. Be on the lookout for him to breakout his junior year

mrob7
01-20-2009, 10:57 PM
that assist at 1:27 was pure butter

mrob7
01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Is there a special player I need. It comes up but won't play. Nice ad for the kid...man things have changed.

Hmm no, it should work just fine. Try the youtube version if vimeo isn't working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdK0EAGtDc&fmt=22

spudzag
01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Was there talk earlier on the board that Kigma might commit early?

While quite a ways to a LOI it would take him off other team's radar.

MDABE80
01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
MRob thank you. The problem was fundamental. You have to register! Geeeeeeeeeeez somebody should have told me that;) Worked fine once I showed em my ID.

CanadianZagFan
01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Kid is a bomber!!!!!!!!!!!!

former1dog
01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Nitpicky, but it looks like Kingma's shooting form is better when he is shooting off of transition than when he spots up for a shot. The spot up shots look to me like his release point is a smidge low. Of course, all the shots are going in. :)

theirishzag03
01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Sure reminds me of a certain Mr. Raivio- even the slightly low release. I remember Few saying Derek had the purest jumpshot, but then early on trying to get him to release a little higher.

BobZag
01-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Kingma with Nick Johnson, both 2011 kids, would be about as dynamic a backcourt as Gonzaga ever had, if they continue to develop and improve. Kingma struck me as a Dickau-Raivio type at first glance and Nick Johnson would be an ideal complement for him, and vice-versa.

Nicely done, mrob7. Thanks. Love that kid's game. Fits Few and Gonzaga to a T.

zagsfanforlife
01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I appreciate both of your comments former and irish because when I was watching the highlights I saw the same things each of you did. For one, on a few of his shots his formed resembled Raivio to the fullest. It was almost spitting image. At the same time, on other clips of his shot, I am not too impressed with his shooting form. Of course I understand that the only thing that matters is the final result of the ball going in the net. But from a person that watches game film on high school kids all the time, I have seen much better shooting form. You may ask why the form matters if the ball is going in. The reason it could be a concern is that against a much more athletic defender with longer arms, a shot with that low of a release point is much more able to be blocked than a person with a higher release. His shot seems to come from a very low release point. The highlights look great but a minor concern with the kid could be his shooting form.

All that aside, I still say lets get the kid. If the staff feels it is a concern they will work on it. The main thing is that this kid can put the ball in the hole. Anyone you watch who reminds you of Dickau or Raivio is a keeper in my eyes. We need a player like that on this years team.

P.S. I will hold down the fort at LMU this weekend. Not sure if many of you are making the trip down to beautiful 75 degree LA but ill be wearing my Zag gear in support of the team. I can't wait!

former1dog
01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
All in all, I think Raivio did alright with his shooting form and was mostly dependable and I don't recall him having lots of problems getting his shot blocked.

Continuing the comparison, I think Kingma has a more athletic frame and should naturally be stronger than Raivio was at the same age.

I also seem to recall that Raivio was quite agressive going to the basket in high school than is Kingma, but I could be overstating that as I don't have much to go on.

Bottom line, if Kingma is as good as Raivio was I think he would definitely be a welcome addition to the team.

zagsfanforlife
01-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Off the dribble his shooting form resembles Raivio's. Standstill from the three line his shot looks peculiar imo.

former1dog
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Off the dribble his shooting form resembles Raivio's. Standstill from the three line his shot looks peculiar imo.

In addition to the low release point, it looks almost like an old fashioned set shot. Like old footage of Bob Cousy.

zagsfanforlife
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
In addition to the low release point, it looks almost like an old fashioned set shot. Like old footage of Bob Cousy.

Funny you said that. When watching the clip I thought "that jumper totally looks old school"

former1dog
01-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Funny you said that. When watching the clip I thought "that jumper totally looks old school"

He follows through nicely, though.

BobZag
01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
In Jerry Krause and Tommy Lloyd, the Zags have two of the best shooting coaches anywhere. But I like Kingmas as is. Hope his arm heals fast. He's a gym rat and this can't be fun for him.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM

Agreed. The set shot definitely has a low release, which isn't ideal, of course. But I'm sure he'll be using that sweet, pure jump shot he has almost exclusively in a matter of time.

This would be a great early commitment for the Zags. I hope it happens.

dim4sum
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Seems invincible from the way the clip is edited--my only concern is that he starts his shot way down low, which might make it blockable, at the next level.

ZaggyZaggerson
01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Pure filth. Raivio Jr. waiting to happen!

zagfan08
01-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Regarding an early commitment: Brett told me there was a chance he'd verbal at Midnight Madness. I believe he almost did, but decided it was best for him to wait a little longer and be sure. It was just the start of his sophomore year, afterall. His dad told the local newspaper it wouldn't surprise him if Brett gave an early verbal here in the next few months.

UW has been interested in him, and Brett likes them too. Someone told me he has a top 5, but was instructed not to tell anyone. When asked if he's still talking to Gonzaga his response was "of course, that's my school".

spudzag
01-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks zagfan, great answer.

mrob7
01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/prepsports/2009/01/21/video_brett_kingma_highlight_r.html

BobZag
01-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Congrats, mrob. :)

duper
01-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Looks like a good shooter and a good highschool scorer but I really didn't see a division 1 player on that footage. You could make footage like that for probably 20 guys in this state who are puting up good numbers against better competition. The Zag staff has been wrong about players way less than I have so more power to the kid. Hope he heals and comes back even better.

BobZag
01-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Looks like a good shooter and a good highschool scorer but I really didn't see a division 1 player on that footage. You could make footage like that for probably 20 guys in this state who are puting up good numbers against better competition. The Zag staff has been wrong about players way less than I have so more power to the kid. Hope he heals and comes back even better.

GU and UW don't watch D2 guys. Kingma looks every bit as good as Dickau or Raivio as sophs.

This is an odd thread.

duper
01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Both have recuited players that I coached who played JC ball or D2 ball and I have coached at some level three former Zags. This is not uncommon at all for super sophs to get intrest that fades latter. Don't know the kid and have never seen him play so I shouldn't have said anything but hey what are boards for if not to let the uninformed have thier say.

mrob7
01-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks bob zag ;)

HillBillyZag
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Looks like the kid can shoot the lights out. As far as form goes Pistol Pete or Byrd did'nt always have picture book shots either, they just went in the hole!

mrob7
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Looks like the kid can shoot the lights out. As far as form goes Pistol Pete or Byrd did'nt always have picture book shots either, they just went in the hole!

Very true