PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting - Top 25

Hextall7388
01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
After landing Austin, the Zags' first 5 star, top 25 recruit in 2007 (and the rest of that great class of recruits), I figured the Zags had finally broken through the glass ceiling that all non BCS schools seem to face, except for Memphis of course. Perhaps I am wrong, but as far as I can tell from my review of Rivals, we were not 'in the running' for a 5 star recruit in 08, 09 and for 2010, the only recruit in the top 25 with an interest in the Zags is #1 Josh Smith (we are one of 22 schools he has listed). I had hoped the signing of Austin was the start of a trend that would see the Zags bringing in more and more top 25 recruits, but now it is starting to look like it was a one time jackpot.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the recruits that we brought in this year, and Dower and Arop look like solid recruits for 09. Top marks to the coaching staff for finding these guys and bringing them to Gonzaga. That being said, as we have witnessed over the past year and a half with Austin, a 5 star, top 25 recruit plays the game at a different level. They can make the game look easy at times. We have been spoiled to be able to watch Austin in a Zags uniform.

Every year the Zags play one of the best non-conference schedules, have been to the Dance 10 years in a row, have nationally televised games, a private jet, a solid coaching staff and a relatively new facility that is sold out every game. So, for those 'in the know', what's the biggest obstacle the Zags face bringing in top 25 recruits?

The size of the school? Location of the school? Playing in the WCC? The system? What are the recruits saying?

KSTATEZAG
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
After landing Austin, the Zags' first 5 star, top 25 recruit in 2007 (and the rest of that great class of recruits), I figured the Zags had finally broken through the glass ceiling that all non BCS schools seem to face, except for Memphis of course. Perhaps I am wrong, but as far as I can tell from my review of Rivals, we were not 'in the running' for a 5 star recruit in 08, 09 and for 2010, the only recruit in the top 25 with an interest in the Zags is #1 Josh Smith (we are one of 22 schools he has listed). I had hoped the signing of Austin was the start of a trend that would see the Zags bringing in more and more top 25 recruits, but now it is starting to look like it was a one time jackpot.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the recruits that we brought in this year, and Dower and Arop look like solid recruits for 09. Top marks to the coaching staff for finding these guys and bringing them to Gonzaga. That being said, as we have witnessed over the past year and a half with Austin, a 5 star, top 25 recruit plays the game at a different level. They can make the game look easy at times. We have been spoiled to be able to watch Austin in a Zags uniform.

Every year the Zags play one of the best non-conference schedules, have been to the Dance 10 years in a row, have nationally televised games, a private jet, a solid coaching staff and a relatively new facility that is sold out every game. So, for those 'in the know', what's the biggest obstacle the Zags face bringing in top 25 recruits?

The size of the school? Location of the school? Playing in the WCC? The system? What are the recruits saying?

I'm not in the know, nor will i pretend to be, but it'sknown we've lost recruits based on the conference. See Jordan Farmar.

MississppiZag
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
2009-

There were only 4 5-star recruits on the west coast. We were after two of them Gaddy and Bradley. Both decided on BCS schools in Washington and Texas.

We have a 2009 4-star, ranked #80, in Manny Arop. While he is no 5-star, many have said, including Jerry Meyer, that if Manny was in a public school in a big city in America his stock would definitely be higher. I think it was Jerry who said if those circumstances were in play Manny would be a top 50 player. Manny playing in Canada has kept him as a bit of a secret to top schools in America. It says a lot about his play that he is ranked #80 in the 2009 class.

Jerry Meyer has been impressed thus far about Dower's play and says Dower has played like he expected him to. Dower is currently averaging 25.3 points and 11+ rebs in the highest league in Minnesota. Scored 22 against Mike Brusewitz, Wisconsin signee, and 22 against Cody Larson, Iowa signee. With Sam performing as he has, he should crack the top 100 in the spring updates of the rival's top 150.

Bol Kong is said to have a future in the NBA(said on these boards by fellow Canadians who have seen him play). Elias Harris is the two time MVP of his German Pro-B-League.

2010-

There are only two 5-star players on the west coast, Josh Smith and Anthony Brown.

We are currently looking at Aaron Bright(Rivals has him as a 4-star, ranked #74), Jordin Mayes(Rivals has him as a 4-star, ranked #48), Terrel Stoglin(Rivals has him as a 3-star, ranked #114), Cole Stefan(3-star, said to be the best player/shooter in Minnesota in the class of 2010, played with Sma Dower in AAU), and Guy-Marc Michel(7'1'' Center in JC).

So why there are no 5-stars we currently have two top 120 player for 2009, and are very interested in 3 others for 2010.

Our conference, early tourney exits, and depth have played a large part in regards to our lack of signing 5-stars.

Hope that helps.:)

HOOTER
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm personally not overly concerned with Gonzaga's supposed inability to recruit ranked players. Few and staff have a knack for bringing in guys that are under the radar and molding them into top notch basketball players. I love having Daye on the team, but nothing beats having a guy like Batista or Morrison or any of the other former Zags who over-achieved. We don't need top 25 recruits to be good, as we have clearly seen over the past decade.

CDC84
01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
The Zags need to make a big run in March. There is nothing that helps Gonzaga's recruiting more than winning games in the NCAA tournament. March success makes the other things that rival coaches use against GU in recruiting - the WCC, location, etc. - less important.

It's hard to gauge the 2009 class because it contains 3 foreign players. I doubt that many U.S. recruiting analysts have seen Kong (recently) and Harris, and as far as I know, Meyer is the only one to have seen Arop. Dower is a borderline top 100 guy.

ZagLawGrad
01-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm personally not overly concerned with Gonzaga's supposed inability to recruit ranked players. Few and staff have a knack for bringing in guys that are under the radar and molding them into top notch basketball players. I love having Daye on the team, but nothing beats having a guy like Batista or Morrison or any of the other former Zags who over-achieved. We don't need top 25 recruits to be good, as we have clearly seen over the past decade.

Agreed for the most part. However, a rare player like Josh Smith takes you from 20 mph to a 100 mph in a heartbeat.

JLGutrocks
01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Any news on the kid transferring out of AZ?

zag67
01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I would also like to say that I think that as things stand right now, we are looking pretty good for the next few years. Assuming that Daye comes back, next year there is going to be a super fight for playing time at all positions (except maybe point guard). Then the following year we will lose only Matt, Foster and probably Daye. We would have Goodson, Gibbs, Arop, Gray, Kong, Harris, Dower, Poling, and Sacre (possibly even Olynyk or ???). This means that with the type of players we have, we are about 3 deep at every position except for point guard. That is not counting the 3 players that we would be bringing in (hopefully 1 is a point guard and a combo).

Yes it would be nice to have a top 4 or 5 star, but only if they are going to be here for a few years. Most of them are trying to make it to the NBA in one year. I am not sure that those types want to play in the type of system that GU plays (or vice versa)

But this is IMO.

BobZag
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Any news on the kid transferring out of AZ?

He chose some little school in the midwest somewhere...umm...Jayhawks or some such thing. ;)

BobZag
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Agreed for the most part. However, a rare player like Josh Smith takes you from 20 mph to a 100 mph in a heartbeat.

Very true. Kevin Love, too. It is incredibly difficult to get these types of kids unless they have a unique outlook on things, ala Daye.

After watching the Dower vid clip, I see a Ronny type player (bouncy, long, athletic) with better post skills at the same stage. Ronny's passion was what set him apart. Whether Sam has that, I don't know.

hondo46
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Astroligists and stargazers worry not. The stare rankings are not very accurate. It's much more about fit and chemistry. How many guys on our 1999 team were even 3 star players out of high school?

krozman
01-20-2009, 05:52 PM
We don't deserve 5 star recruits until we win 5 star games in the NCAA tourney. Get to the final 4 with Daye and we'll have possibilities.

BobZag
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Arop is rated 80ish by Meyer after watching him just once. Kong is said to be better than Arop. And Harris is the kid who has the staff the most excited.

Just sayin'...

spudzag
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Hard to knock the 09 group coming. In fact we are getting some tid bits about filling that final slot too. An occasional top 25 is okay with me, but not as a regular diet. Contray to some I like players that are here for 3 or 4 years. I'm perfectly happy to stay away from the one & done croud.

Ziggy
01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
I would prefer a 3 or 4 star that stays for all four years than a 5 star that bolts after one year ala Beasley. Look at K State now....

LynetteG
01-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Those rankings are not updated all that much, so don't put too much stock into them. Hard to say any 2010 or 2011 kid is a 5 star at this point.

I, too, have heard negatives about the fact that Gonzaga plays in a (perceived) weak conference, and that it is a turnoff to recruits. The perception should change if the WCC continues to send at least 2, and hopefully 3, teams to the dance each year.