PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! From Seth Davis at SI

23dpg
01-20-2009, 11:54 AM
• I just have a gut feeling that Mark Few will be the next coach at Arizona.

This is going to get old.

Edit: Make that Seth Davis from SI

CalZag
01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Would be more appropriate if indeed it was Seth Meyers reporting this on Weekend Update, these rumors are getting ridiculous.

CDC84
01-20-2009, 12:28 PM
That would be Seth Davis :)

In all fairness, it should be noted that not all media people feel that Few is going to seriously consider the Arizona job....assuming they even go after him. John Rothstein, Andy Katz and others have expressed their doubtfulness....

Angelo Roncalli
01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Call it a gut feeling, but I think the next head coach at the University of Oregon will come from the WCC, and it won't be Mark Few.

former1dog
01-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Call it a gut feeling, but I think the next head coach at the University of Oregon will come from the WCC, and it won't be Mark Few.

Bennett?

Personally, I think he would be a good choice for a lot of big time programs. A solid coach with good recruiting skills.

Grier is obviously going to be one of those guys that gets mentioned frequently when jobs come open as well.

IronLions
01-20-2009, 12:37 PM
They have a pretty horriable record. If they keep losing Kent will be on his way out. As a Zag fan I would be more worried about Few going to the Oregon job than AZ- or any other job out there.

zagzealot
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
What about Giacoletti? Didn't he say he wasn't necessarily a long term guy with GU?

CDC84
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
While I would love RayG to stay on the GU staff forever, there might come a day when he will want to become a head coach again. This is just conjecture on my part. He's kind of used to being the head man on the totem pole, and I think he could land a pretty good job based on his overall resume as an assistant and head coach. When I say he could land a "pretty good job," I mean better than what Monson got at LBSU.

sullyzag66
01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
They have a pretty horriable record. If they keep losing Kent will be on his way out. As a Zag fan I would be more worried about Few going to the Oregon job than AZ- or any other job out there.
FWIW, Canzano said on Sunday's local sports show in Portland that Kent will not finish the year. But, again, that's Canzano. He was silent on a replacement.

Angelo Roncalli
01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
RG is a highly accomplished coach. He took Eastern to the Dance and Utah to the Sweet 16. I agree with CDC, a good job is likely to come knocking for RG in the near future.

El Voce
01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
WOW! Few is going to be quite busy next season coaching both Arizona and Oregon! won't leave much time for fishing.:)

Rangerzag
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
We have heard this so much I am beginning to think if Canzano had a clue about what he was talking about, Mark Few would have been at U Oregon awhile now. It is just beginning to seem that way.

I think fishing is a lot better in Oregon than in Arizona.

I hope I get to see Mark Few leave Gonzaga....................................say when he retires at the age of about seventy five or so ;)

Didn't MF say something at a press conference in the last year or so to the effect that a job not usually predicted for him, like an NBA position, wouldn't completely be out of the question in the distant future??????????
One of those "You never know" kind of quips.

cggonzaga
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry but if I were Few I would definitely go to Arizona if they offered. There is just way more money to be had there as well as the fact that he could recruit anybody in the country. He would undoubtedly be a hall of fame coach by the time all was said and done as I'm sure he could win multiple National Championships there. The way he develops recruits could make him and that program unstoppable when the level of recruit is that much higher to begin with. I'd imagine he'd seriously consider it and that's not a knock on GU. I believe he can do those things here but it could still be a ways off while the Arizona job would get him there now.

mdZag23
01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
I was in Eugene this last weekend for the WSU game and I will tell you that the Alumni there, and I mean high placed long time Alumni, really feel that Uncle Phil and Kilkenny are going to get out the proverbial check book and put an offer in front of Few that he will not be able to turn down!

I know it is speculation and I know he is happy where he is at and I have been as big a skeptic about him leaving as anyone, but.....the kind of resources that they have there, the new areana that is going in and a very promising group of young recruits is going to be very difficult to say NO to!

ZagLawGrad
01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
We hear that Few says he isn't leaving. But what is our back-up plan if he does leave? Do we have succesion planning on this one?

UberZagFan
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
We hear that Few says he isn't leaving. But what is our back-up plan if he does leave? Do we have succesion planning on this one?

Kent?

SamwiseTheZag
01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Oregon being Mr Fews Alma Mater definitely plays a factor into the appeal of the Duck job along with everything else already mentioned.

Anyone who disregards this as a factor either:

A) hates where they went to school
or
B) didn't go to College at all.

Hopefully the Ducks start winning so we don't even have to think about this as a possibility. (I puked a little in my mouth as I typed that last line).

Honestly who wouldn't want to coach at their Alma Mater?

snebzag
01-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Uber is funny! Ray G. would be my choice if MF left, but that would have a negative impact on those guys slowly moving up the pine next to coach. Hopefully it is a non-issue. This is a better summer time thread than now.

Uber, I see why you like Red, but that is no Zag...Remember Pendo in that red uniform. Oh God, clashed with his shoes. No red hair and uniforms after Labor day in Spokane.

Akzag
01-21-2009, 12:38 AM

One way or the other, it was written into contracts that if Few left, Grier would get the head coaching position. When Grier left, it is my understanding that Rice moved up with the same contractually secured plan.

While Ray G. has more head coaching experience than the rest of Few's staff combined (well ... Krause excepted) it is again my understanding that he accepted (and strongly supported - a credit to him) that he would be below at least Rice, if not also Tommy in the line of succession.

There are strong friendship bonds at work here, as well as loyalty. Ray G. could, and probably will, be offered a Head job as soon as he is ready to move along. For now, he has obviously helped out especially on the defensive side of the court. We are indeed fortunate to have somebody that was so familiar, and so comfortable with the program and yet be so over-qualified for the job, take it.

Meanwhile, let's not take the "Few's Leaving" rumors too seriously ... until the man himself decides he is leaving.

DixieZag
01-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I really really hope that this season doesn't become infected with thoughts beyond March, I have so much hope for this team if it really comes together. And one thing that could absolutely get in the way is if the players start hearing the rumors and wonder if Coach is leaving.

I know that Few is an Oregon alum, but he is also essentially a GU alum, in the sense that he received much of his early education here, he met his wife here, he and his friends built this wonderful family that also happens to be a national program now, and I have to believe that his "connection" to GU is stronger than that to Oregon (the school that really scares me). If Few really thought that leaving was on the table in the near future, I really don't think that Grier would have left. I am hoping that Few simply doesn't trust anyone else to carry on with this evolving program. Right now, I don't.

Shanachie
01-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I wish that the media would just stop all that nonsense. I think Few's made it quite clear that he is happy here in Spokane.

It's not going to stop. First, every mention of Few leaving leads to a multi-page thread on this board (and probably the board of the school where he is rumored to be heading). That's what Davis and his counterparts are paid to do - express opinion, speculate, etc. and create interest.

In the world of talking heads, Few is always (as he should be) a potential candidate for open BCS jobs because he is in the group of coaches who would be making a perceived step up to take a job like that. Look at it this way - wouldn't Seth Davis look foolish if he didn't mention Few as a candidate and he wound up taking the job?

The only way (other than a sustained downturn in the GU program) to stop this kind of speculation would be for Few to state publicly that he's not going anywhere. That would be foolish for him on a personal level because 1) it might hurt him in salary negotiations, and 2) if circumstances change and he does leave in the future after making a statement like that, his perceived credibility and integrity would take a hit.

From an outsider's perspective like mine, it looks like Few is happy and not likely to leave, but very few people on this board know him well enough to know what his thoughts really are. It is not out of the question that he could decide to leave.

xjzico
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Oregon being Mr Fews Alma Mater definitely plays a factor into the appeal of the Duck job along with everything else already mentioned.

Anyone who disregards this as a factor either:

A) hates where they went to school
or
B) didn't go to College at all.

Hopefully the Ducks start winning so we don't even have to think about this as a possibility. (I puked a little in my mouth as I typed that last line).

Honestly who wouldn't want to coach at their Alma Mater?

Don Monson's experience at Oregon seems to weigh into this also.