• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Zags Return to AP Top 25

Where isn't exactly clear. Looks like 24 to me?

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

St. Mary's is ranked higher in Coaches poll.

22 >> 24

Looks like the Zags are not highly regarded anymore. Gaels are rolling. Zags are stagnating.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Find the 2023-24 NCAAM rankings on ESPN, including the Coaches and AP poll for the top 25 NCAAM teams.

23rd?

Comment

• Rubbadub
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Nvmd, Former beat me to it.

Once again, it looks like AP is more on top of things than the ESPN/Coaches Poll.
        sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
          Bleeds Bulldog Blue
          • Feb 2007

1. Wake Forest (68) 16-0 1,793
          2. Duke (4) 16-1 1,721
          3. Connecticut 16-1 1,590
          4. Pittsburgh 16-1 1,569
          5. North Carolina 16-2 1,510
          6. Oklahoma 17-1 1,498
          7. Michigan State 15-2 1,394
          8. Syracuse 17-2 1,146
          9. Louisville 13-3 1,090
          10. Clemson 16-1 1,043
          11. Marquette 16-2 1,003
          12. Georgetown 12-4 979
          13. UCLA 14-3 897
          14. Texas 13-4 858
          15. Xavier 15-2 848
          16. Butler 16-1 726
          17. Arizona State 15-3 671
          18. Purdue 14-4 553
          19. Notre Dame 12-5 469
          20. Villanova 14-3 353
          21. Minnesota 16-2 298
          22. Memphis 14-3 208
          23. Gonzaga 12-4 201
          24. Florida 16-2 175
          25. Illinois 15-3 159
          Others Receiving Votes
          Baylor 148, Saint Mary's 137, Kentucky 105, California 82, Florida State 34, Kansas 23, Ohio State 20, Missouri 14, Davidson 14, Tennessee 14, Utah State 12, Washington 12, West Virginia 8, Miami (FL) 8, Arkansas 6, Michigan 5, Dayton 4, George Mason 1, LSU 1.
          Dropped From Rankings
          Baylor 21, California 22, Tennessee 24, Michigan 25.
          You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

The only quarrel I have with the AP is that I think we should be ranked above Notre Dame and that St. Mary's should be ranked as well, possibly ahead of us. Not saying that St. Mary's is a better team than us, but based on the body of work, they should get the nod.

Comment

• Rubbadub
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I'm trying to figure out what Memphis has done to be ranked ahead of us. Granted all their losses are understandable, they haven't beaten ANYBODY. Same goes for Villanova and Saint Mary's.

While I personally would put GU ahead of Notre Dame, I can see why voters MIGHT put them ahead of us.
              sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• former1dog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rubbadub View Post
                I'm trying to figure out what Memphis has done to be ranked ahead of us. Granted all their losses are understandable, they haven't beaten ANYBODY.
                Reputation? (final four team from last season)

Comment

• sullyzag66
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                  St. Mary's is ranked higher in Coaches poll.

22 >> 24

Looks like the Zags are not highly regarded anymore. Gaels are rolling. Zags are stagnating.
                  The higher St. Mary's is ranked when Zags beat them, the better.

Comment

• JAGzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                    Not saying that St. Mary's is a better team than us, but based on the body of work, they should get the nod.
                    Not trying to take away from the Gaels, but let's face it, they haven't played or beat anyone all that good. I hear the complaints from their fans that they couldn't get anyone to come to that shoe box they call a gym?! Then do what the Zags did and play anyone, anywhere - I just don't see teams willing to do that anymore.

Comment

• whatazag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

The only downside is being ranked in the AP does us no good for getting our highlights on espn.

Comment

• DZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

Espn

The St. Mary's game is on ESPN, I for one am not worried about GU being ranked right now, some strange "force" will put us in the top 25 for a game of two ranked teams on ESPN.
                        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                        Mark Twain.

Comment

• a13coach
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JAGzag View Post
                          Not trying to take away from the Gaels, but let's face it, they haven't played or beat anyone all that good. I hear the complaints from their fans that they couldn't get anyone to come to that shoe box they call a gym?! Then do what the Zags did and play anyone, anywhere - I just don't see teams willing to do that anymore.
                          It was not so long ago (2003-2004) that we still played in the Martin Centre so I would not be harshing on their gym size. But I agree, they and the rest of the WCC needs that anyone anywhere mentality.
                          There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
                          Those who understand binary and those who do not.
                          "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO
                          sigpic
                          E .· ` ' / ·. F
                          The FOO fuels me.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by a13coach View Post
                            It was not so long ago (2003-2004) that we still played in the Martin Centre so I would not be harshing on their gym size. But I agree, they and the rest of the WCC needs that anyone anywhere mentality.
                            i would argue that billy g and san diego did exactly that this year and they have paid the price as well...didn't help with brandon johnson getting hurt though...

@unlv(54), nevada(109 - not as good as in the past few years, but not bad and babbitt is a stud), wisconsin(17 - big10), miami(32 - acc), @sdsu(59), new mexico(93), @oregon (118 - not that good this year, but still a pac10 team), boise st.(55), @mississippi st.(92 - sec)

number in () is the current rpi ranking...that's a pretty damn good schedule, comparable to ours.

Comment

• montanazag88
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Sep 2007

Back of my mind: Zags ranked "fairly"...even though not ranked "accurately," which is a sweet thing to enjoy. IMO, our team plays as emotionall as much as strategic and emotions tied to "improving" one's position is an advantage over "keeping" the same.

At the end of the day, the weekly polls really are a best attempt being "fair." Seed selections for the dance are an attempt to be "accurate" and yet have not been completely favorable to ALL #1-4 seeds.....AND even that doesn't really matter.

My guess, Zags will be in the top 18 by season's end (beating Memphis and taking it to St Mary's). If not, who really cares if they are playing like the #1-4 that I truly believe is within their grasp. The path: Selflessness evident in Defense, Rebounding, Defense, Rebounding, Defense......
                              montanazag88
                              P....A....TIENCE!

Comment

Working...
                              X