01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Gaels shooting up to 22nd.

Zags floundering in "Also Receiving Votes Land."

KSTATEZAG
01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
28th...ugh

gu03alum
01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
It's silly, I guess next year Gonzaga should play no one and have a lot of meaningless wins like St Mary's. At least the tournament selection committee has a better clue about where teams should be than the polls.

jazzdelmar
01-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Gaels shooting up to 22nd.

Zags floundering in "Also Receiving Votes Land."

The bloom is off the rose for the Zags w respect to the national scene...Not to say it cdnt come back.....the media and national coaches are fickle and plummeting from #4 is exacting a price....

77Zag
01-19-2009, 10:22 AM
What if Few was one of the coaches voting instead of Bennett?

I'm going to go out on limb. The tide will change dramatically this week when SD takes down the Gaels and certainly a shift on 1-29 when the Gaels get spanked at the Kennel.

:D

Rubbadub
01-19-2009, 10:28 AM
What if Few was one of the coaches voting instead of Bennett?

I'm going to go out on limb. The tide will change dramatically this week when SD takes down the Gaels and certainly a shift on 1-29 when the Gaels get spanked at the Kennel.

:D

Seconded!

bartruff1
01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
This isn't football. Gonzaga and everyone else will get to decide this in March (if we get there)....the polls are what they are. Personally, I think Lunardi is the best judge of the rankings in Brackatology assuming he is using a method similar to the Selection Committee and right now he has us as a 5# in Portland....let us pray..

Ezag
01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Why all the fuss about Polls. If we would've taken care of things on the court this wouldn't be much of a debate. That withstanding maybe we will finally be able to prove somethings in March

TuckC
01-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Gonzaga pummels the team that should have beaten Saint Mary's. I'm looking forward to seeing the pumped up Zags trounce a rank team by embarrasing their "outstanding" 1.1 assists to 1 turnover point guard in Paddy Mills along with their "great" shooting small forward Diamon Simpson who's shooting 46% and .091% beyond the arc.
Part of me wants Few to play D-MEECH all night just to make Paddy Mills get that ticket to go hang with his koala brethren.

gamagin
01-19-2009, 10:39 AM
we couldn't be in better shape.

Most of the noise occurred before the season started.

We were the buzz throughout the summer, which built up when practice started and continued through that point when teams actually have to beat someone and the polls have a hint of substance to them.

We did that with the OSC and shot further up the slightly-less mythical ladder before hitting the rough patch.

We are now down where we probably do not belong, but down closer to what we have earned so far.

the good news is no one gives a damn about these polls because there are real games to watch and real discussions about real outcomes and real future contests in which any fan can be kept occupied for several weeks and several possibilities.

And inside that environment, we are positioned and fully capable of getting back up the real ladder as far as we desire, imo. It is all before us and we control the outcome from now on.

Plus I like what's developing with this team. A real team.

Go Zags !

Midwestzag
01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
By the time we play St. Marys and Memphis they might both be in the top 20. With the expected Zag victories there surely will be a place for GU in the top 20. Especially when the most over rated team, ND, exits the polls by losing 5 out of the next 7 games.

ND plays Con. Syr. Marq. Pitt. Cinci. UCLA and Louisville over the next few weeks. Harrangody is good but doesn't have much around him.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Seconded!

All in favor say I..............

Pargo the Destroyer
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
aye......................

Pargo the Destroyer
01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
aye......................

The I's, eye's, aye's have it. And there you go.

Zagpower
01-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I love us flying under the radar! The only thing that has changed since we were ranked in the top 10 is other people's perception of us. We haven't had the injury bug so it's the same players as before when everyone thought we were Final Four threats.

We still have the most talented unranked team that I have seen in my lifetime. I wouldn't mind it if we remained unranked for awhile.

Reborn
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Fortunately games are not played on the polls, but rather on the hard wood floors. I hope we stay behind both St. Mary's and Memphis in the polls until we play them. I'd like to see the Zags stay hungry right now. We're still a long ways from March.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Next weeks' game at USD might be the Gael's second toughest game of the season thus far. I'd rank the game in San Diego against SDSU higher, but that's it. The Ducks stink this year, home against Providence wasn't a huge test, and Southern Illinois has really fallen off the CBB map.

Zagdawg
01-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Bulletin board material-- It is nice to have St Marys with the largest target on their back and bringing the WCC a little extra national exposure-- I just hope they hold onto it long enough for us to knock it off. Looking forward to the game on the 29th-- but we need to ensure we are staying focused--one game at a time.

Go Zags....

zaguarxj
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Do you think that the other teams in the WCC will sell-out 2 games this year? Maybe they'll even print up some "Beat St. Mary's" t-shirts.

cjm720
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
It sure seems like the 2007/2008 season...ranked early, lose a bunch in a row, get our swagger back a bit, but don't make it back in the polls.

Anyways, Go Zags!!!

zaguarxj
01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Does this mean we can storm the court when we beat them now?

Mr Vulture
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't see why everyone is riled up about this right now. First off, St. Mary's is a solid team with veteran players. I, for one, don't think we run the table in the WCC as i feel like the league is getting better all the time. I think that St. Mary's is a Top 25 team as I feel the Zags are as well. The bottom line is that it takes time to remove that stretch of December games from voters memories....

Ultimately, the Zags are the best/most talented team in the league and are playing like they should have all along. No matter the schedule, 17-1 is still a solid record for St. Mary's.

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
st.mary's beat us last year at their place and has a very good chance to do so again...they are a good team. wish they would have played a schedule like ours or san diego's, but to each their own. they're risking missing the dance if they happen to drop more than 3 games in conference cuz of this schedule. not impossible with 2 against us, 2 against san diego, and the away games at santa clara and portland still...plus the tournament.

skan72
01-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I think we are better this year compared to SMC than we were last year compared to them. If we keep up this current trend of playing well then I can't see us losing to SMC.

surfmonkey89
01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Don't know why people are dissing St Mary's when we've lost most of the tough games we're standing behind wrt our strength of schedule. And even lost a few we shouldn't have.

The bloom is off the rose folks. We need to win out for any chance at a protected seed.

ZagLawGrad
01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
We got bit hard by the poll stuff in December. Expectations downgraded accordingly. Trying to get better on the fundamentals every week, and getting some minutes for everyone, sounds good to me through the end of the season. A split with SMC would be a good result.

snebzag
01-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Zagpower: Like us under the radar also, until the end of conference play and seeding ideas begin.

St. Mary's will be tough, buttttttttttt. on paper. Signature wins for SM

SDSU at home by 3
Oregon by 5
Loss to Utep by 13 at home.
Nice record, but looks a bit Romar to me. Yes, it will all be proved on the hardwood. Looking forward to it. Really looking forward to it. Also, not to look past division cupcakes of our own at Pepp and LMU. Remember the Alamo.(PSU). Remember the Alamo.

scrooner
01-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Ken Pomeroy has Gonzaga at #3 and St. Mary's at #46.

Once and Future Zag
01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Ken Pomeroy has Gonzaga at #3 and St. Mary's at #46.

Quoted for emphasis.

Both good teams, certainly, but there's a fairly significant statistical gap between them at this point in the season.

MDABE80
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Reborn said it best. We play the games on the court..not the polls. St Marys has been good for the past several years. GU get's the glitz because the Zags showed up early and often on top of the WCC and has the NCAA history.
It'll be a hard game. Mills, Samhan, Simpson (my fav on their team) are playing well even though the schedule is skimpy. GU went through a 5 game stretch that looks worse as time goes by pollwise but not so bad if you know how we lost. This team could be undefeated just as easily as a 4 loss squad.

Props to the Moraga kids....17-1 is nothing to sneeze at. Ranked, etc. Talented group and they play hard every minute (which is something we don't see here). I don't think GU is showing arrogance as many on the Gael board think. It's normal chatter prior to a big game with a rival. It could be a lot worse if we remember back to the UW games with "Reese" and his friends.

In some ways, the upcoming games are like tests. If you do the work, you win. If not, you don't. Nothing mystical. We have better talent. At lease the emergence of SMC has made the league better and more interesting. Last weekend in LA, I sat with one of my old profs. His son is an WCC admin guy now but he was an asst coach at SMC. They really want to be where GU was/is. It's a serious wish. Determination does some unexpected things. Let's just go beat em by 10....or more...there....and on TV.

77Zag
01-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Don't know why people are dissing St Mary's when we've lost most of the tough games we're standing behind wrt our strength of schedule. And even lost a few we shouldn't have.

The bloom is off the rose folks. We need to win out for any chance at a protected seed.

Surf -- would you mind expanding on a "protected seed" -- with the rare occasion of a 2 dropping to a 15, and all holds barred from the other seeds, what is a protected seed in the tournament? I think the phrase of March Madness is just that.

a13coach
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
I am very happy with SMC performance this season. I have stated before that if the other teams in the WCC cannot or will not schedule tough games then they should at least win the ones they should. SMC has done that, and a bit better than we have this season, but then again we have also won games I think most out in basketball land expected us to lose. Also they had to nail a 3 at the end of the game to beat a team we crushed! SMC has earned their props this season.

kyle dixon
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
St. Mary's is demonstrating balance this year. It seems as if Samhan has improved in to a legit 15 and 10 guy, Simpson is a tireless worker on both ends of the floor and Mills is the engine of the Gael team. A couple of other role players makes up a solid NCAA tourney team

They have won all the games that were placed on their schedule minus the UTEP loss in a preseason tourney. They have been going on the road and winning games which for them is a great sign. I am impressed to see another great team in the WCC. Seeing three teams in the NCAA tourney field from the WCC was unprecedented and I am certain the Zags and Gaels will be playing well in March.

I expect to see some great battles the next 10 weeks. I just hope to see the Zags come out on top!

UberZagFan
01-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Surf -- would you mind expanding on a "protected seed" -- with the rare occasion of a 2 dropping to a 15, and all holds barred from the other seeds, what is a protected seed in the tournament? I think the phrase of March Madness is just that.

Protected seed refers to one of the top 4 seeds in each bracket. So there are 16 protected seeds and the committee places these seeds (and their 4 team pod) in regions that are supposed to be geographically favorable. So #1 UCLA played its first round games in Anaheim last year, while #2 Duke who were also seeded in the West Region played its games in WA DC.

The did this to "help" the fans of higher rank teams get to NCAA games but really it just helps more higher seeds from the East play semi-home games (it happens out West but is more rare--GU got to play in SEA in '04 as 2 seed--lot of good that did them)

And FWIW, GU will not be a protected seed this year unless they win out and its key win opponents like Memphis, UT, St. Mary's etc. win out aside from the GU game--all very unlikely.

JohnOGU
01-20-2009, 09:03 PM
The coaches poll looks terrible from top to bottom in terms of where teams are ranked. Theres no way in hell St. Mary's is 22nd. To be honest they shouldnt be on the poll. You wanna know why they are? The damn Patty Mills bandwagon.