PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know...

TuckC
03-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Who are some teams that decided to give a home/away series for next year that played against Gonzaga? Also am I right that the new schedule comes out in Octoberish?

I'd like to see...
- Texas (doubt it)
- Georgia (they played them at the Arena a while ago)

TuckC
03-16-2007, 07:34 PM
bump

sittingon50
03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Cougs @ home
Memphis there.
Starting another with St. Joe's; there
Believe Georgia is coming back here.

EWU up in the air(?). Don't know if their A.D. getting fired impacts or not.
Idaho=? Coach might get canned.

Please don't take this as gospel, just somewhat educated.

VinnyZag
03-16-2007, 11:36 PM
I can't remember ... have they announced a Battle in Seattle opponent yet?

BobZag
03-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Haven't heard about a BiS foe yet? A big College Gameday game may be on tap.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2007, 09:47 AM

What do you think Zag fans? Would it not be better to emphasize scheduling with better mid-majors than BCS conference foes? I like what we're doing with St. Joe's, for example. I think it would add to the value for K2 season ticket holders, who deserve a higher quality of OOC home games.

Let's face it...very few of the BCS schools are willing to play us in the Kennel. Our profile is high enough that we should be able to capitalize on it.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-17-2007, 11:22 AM
heard from earlier post that memphis will be the BIS opponent next season

CDC84
03-17-2007, 04:32 PM
heard from earlier post that memphis will be the BIS opponent next season

Gonzaga will be playing at Memphis next season. The BiS opponent will be somebody else.

ZagMania
03-18-2007, 12:23 PM
In a somewhat related note, why doesn't Gonzaga participate in bracket busters? Did we used to participate, and just lately have been turning it down or is this something the staff just isn't interested in? I think we'd be going against the top mid majors like Creighton and SIU every year, plus we are guaranteed to get a real home game out of it, so why not join up.

This is probably an easy question that most people on here know, but its something that I've wondered for a while and maybe I can finally get an answer.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2007, 12:35 PM
We use to but no one other than Jay Bias and a few other Zag disparragers believes that we are a mid major anymore. We get top 10 recruits that turn down Pac10, Big10 and Big12 teams to sign with us. Mid majors don't do that. We get state players of the year from top levels of competition. Mid majors don't do that. We are something like 8 games over .500 all time versus the ACC. Mid majors, well.....you get the picture. Bracket Busters is for mm's. Gonzaga; an elite team in a mid major conference.

CDC84
03-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Bracket Busters is mainly for non-BCS teams that really need a good non-league win in order to enhance their chances for an at large bid, or in a few cases, to enhance their seeding. It's also for teams that have great, great difficulty in getting quality BCS teams to play them.

Trust me, if a team like Southern Illinois got a chance to play Memphis, or if Creighton got a chance to play Texas, they wouldn't be playing in this event.

When Gonzaga can play non-league opponents like it can now, it makes no sense to participate in it.

That all being said, I really liked the decision to play Nevada this year. I think GU should reserve a spot in their schedule in December to play such teams. The MVC/CAA teams, for instance, would jump at the opportunity to play Gonzaga. It allows GU to get a quality opponent on their schedule with relative ease. Plus, these teams would agree to play at K2.....in many cases without a return game.

thickman1
03-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Um...how does this not get followed up on guys? Do tell Bob - what's the skinny?

TR11Zag
03-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Are any of the other high mid majors having the same hard time getting home and homes?

I'd love to play other Jesuit schools like Marquette, Xavier, etc.

Is the series w/ Stanford over?

kdaleb
03-19-2007, 07:25 AM
In a somewhat related note, why doesn't Gonzaga participate in bracket busters? Did we used to participate
We participated twice, but with an asterisk. Gonzaga and Tulsa already had a home-and-home series aranged. ESPN asked GU to participate in the inaugural Bracket Buster, and GU obliged on the condition that their Tulsa game be their Bracket Buster game. After the two Tulsa games (the 02-03 and 03-04 seasons), GU stopped participating in the Bracket Buster.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2007, 07:46 AM
...assuming we could get a home-and-home:

For selfish reasons, of course:

SMU, UTEP, and NMSU. I apologize for repeating myself, but scheduling UTEP & NMSU could make for an excellent home & home/road trip, as those two schools are 45 miles apart. These programs have tradition, and are tough road venues.

You could say the same for SMU and UNT, but their RPI isn't high enough yet, even though the Mean Green was a Tourney team, albeit a 15 seed.

Other Texas teams could include, UT-Arlington (forget that, there attendance is worse than Pepperdine), TCU (they stunk this year), or Big 12 teams Baylor, UT, A&M, OU, or OSU (I think we've played all except A&M in the past couple of years).

A good reason for playing in Texas, especially D/FW is that D/FW is becoming a hotbed of HS hoops. Kevin Durant & Chris Bosh are recent "alumni" from the Metroplex scene. Just look at the demographics: six million people live in this area, and there's no question Gonzaga's on the map.

Birddog
03-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Kevin Durant & Chris Bosh are recent "alumni" from the Metroplex scene.
Not sure about Bosh (sp) but Durant is from out East. He is not from the Metroplex. You are right about the high quality hoopsters that Texas is putting out though.

Birddog

TexasZagFan
03-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Not sure about Bosh (sp) but Durant is from out East. He is not from the Metroplex. You are right about the high quality hoopsters that Texas is putting out though.

Birddog

My bad, Birddog. You're right. Duncanville ended the year 39-0, and was top five nationally in all mythical rankings. It's one of the largest schools in Texas, with 3700 students. Their marching band is about 350 strong, and they only march sophs to seniors. They finished #3 in the state this year.