PDA

View Full Version : Where will the Zags be ranked this weeK?

azzagfan
01-18-2009, 03:46 PM
AP Poll
Zags #26 last week:

#25 Michigan lost Saturday to OSU and lost to Illinois this week as well
#24 Tennessee lost to Kentucky Tuesday
#23 Villanova beat St. John's
#22 Cal lost to Stanford Saturday
#21 Baylor won in OT against Ok State Sat. night. lost to Texas A&M 1/14
#20 Louisville beat Notre Dame and Pitt this week
#19 Purdue beat Northwestern and Iowa
#18 Minnesota beat Wisc. in OT and lost to Northwestern

gozags09
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
22...should crack the top 20 after next weeks sweep of the "Little Sisters of the Poor" of the WCC.

HOOTER
01-18-2009, 05:01 PM
That's a tough one. 22ish makes sense to me, with a slight jump after next weekend. Who knows, we could be in the mid-teens come February, but I hate to get caught up in trying to predict anything anymore.

Ezag
01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't think we'll get it

SonofZagineer
01-18-2009, 05:11 PM
23rd

gozags09
01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Well...Parrish says we (and St. Mary's) will not be ranked...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/polls/top25

Reborn
01-18-2009, 05:20 PM

jim77
01-18-2009, 06:07 PM
It'll be nice not to have to look around for their scores. I'd guess 22.

USMC69
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I think 22 is about right.

theirishzag03
01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Zags will be #22 in the AP and #24 in the USA coaches polls.

Funny thing is that it is the same group of voters that had us 4th at one point. If they watched our 2 games this week they should notice we are playing just as well now as we did in the OSC if not even better. But they won't. We don't get the same leeway as UNC who has lost twice in 2weeks and dropped a whopping 5 spots. Hubert, Digger, and Bilas were even saying they were still hands down the best team IF...IF...IF. The 2 teams we just beat by 42 and 34 are better teams than Idaho or Texas Southern IMO teams we beat by similar margins when we were ranked in the top ten.

ZagNut08
01-18-2009, 07:09 PM
23 Ap
25 Espn

FuManShoes
01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
38th.

After seeing how some of the writers and coaches are voting these days, I wouldn't be surprised if the Zags drop despite winning while teams ahead of them lose :)

MDABE80
01-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Not this week. Although many teams lost, the good ones fall right into the territory where the Zags might have landed. Plus the 4 losses will be held against this team. We don't play tough competition in the WCC so our wins don't gather much in the way of votes. Few are convinced SMC is a big deal. They're only ranked because nobody knows what to do with a team that's 17-1 except vote them.

With us at 12-4 right now, we've shown we can win in the the WCC against teams nobody takes seriously as big competition. We need to beat St Mary's..and convincingly. Memphis is the only signature win we might muster the rest of the way in. Sorry to say but we had our shot and blew it. We can give many reasons but the BCS guys don't care.,,,,,and neither do the voters. If we beat Memphis and SMC, we'll get into the top 20 (about 12-15 or so) but the gild if off unless we go far in the NCAA tournament.

The rest of the team has improved but our difference maker (Josh) is still watching too much. Unless he gets his nose in this season and really shows up, our seed with by about 4-5 and our ranking will be in the top 20 but it'll be a rough go in the tournament. We might go higher if the rest of the teams above us collapse. Gents we're in a hole......once we drop out of these polls it's tough to recover with our schedule the 2nd half.

theirishzag03
01-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Whatchya talkin bout???

We are still "America's Team" much love on ESPN.

Ira was top ten#1 we got some attention- Once we move into the top 25 we are back on the radar!

duper
01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Our big wins this year are over Tenn. who isn't what peolpe thought they were going to be. This hurts a lot but I still think we crack the top 20.

roxdoc
01-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Up about one position in both polls - Abe is absolutely right, no respect for who we beat this week or next.

MDABE80
01-18-2009, 09:23 PM
It's just SO critical that we win these games. 4 losses and all of em on TV and games we could/should have won has disappointed many . It's hard to get the trust back. We need to win some big ones......but we don't have many "big ones" on the schedule left. We really blew it. We'll see. Josh really needs to become dominant again. Not sure what's going on. I do know this: if he doesn't get going real soon with a balanced game that gets some oooh's and ahhhhh's, his NBA dreams (if he still has them) will remain dreams.

He's the one we need to be dominant. I really believe the rest of the team has improved. We need him strong if we'll ever climb back into the polls and go beyond the first weekend in the Tourney. SO what's the hold up with him?.....Dunno but he's fading. Not much passion, scoring down, won't go to the low blocks and act like a big man even though he is. Somebody must has his ear. All this talent........ arrrrrgh!

Reborn
01-18-2009, 09:36 PM
MDABEZAG80 I think the team is back and even stronger. I hope I am right. I think Josh is improving all the time, and you are not giving him the credit he deserves. You seem to place a pretty heavy burden on him, and to me it's not the reality of who he is and his place in Zag lore. There is a heck of a lot of time left in the season. There are two months to get better and we're heading in that direction. At least to my eyes. These guys are a long ways from being at the height of their game right now so don't judge them by how they are playing now. They're improving. They're changing. They're in a process of change. And it takes time to work these things out.

I also believe that the voters do care about Gonzaga U. I think analysts do too. In many ways Gonzaga has let them down. They have built us up every year, year after year, and when we lose in the first round it surely doen'st make them happy. We've had high seeds and when we have we've played rather poorly at least two years (Nevada and Wyoming). In the end, the Zags will play in either Portland or Boise. And it will be deserved if we beat St. Mary's and Memphis. St. Mary's is a darn good team, and the Zags will NOT dominate them. They are ranked low because of the OOC schedule. But they are very good. Don't understimate them. Pray for any victory at all. The same for Memphis. WE have NOT beaten Memphis yet. They will be very, very tough bellieve me. If we approach either game in any other way we will lose. And we have a whole of other tough games even before those two. Do you think San Diego will be easy? Or Pepperdine or Loyola Marymount? There is no such thing as an easy conference game. Ask North Carolina.

MDABE80
01-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, Reborn, I think you're right about some things. Not enough to get the Zags some votes though. Josh is part of a team but as a 5th yr Senior AND with his awesome talent, he sould be doing 20-10 nightly. He isn't. I doubt he will unless something matters to him we don't know about yet. He is the one guy who HASN'T stepped up since the 7-0 start. Others have, not him though. Unfortunately he's the one we need to be dominant. We've watch season where Josh has roamed aorund on the outside . We've yet to see him go inside and wreak some havoc. I don't think it's been two years ago with the UNC game that he's done what he can. Now. it jus tmight be that the UNC game was played out of his head....and he'll never get that talent showcased again. He's been much better than last year when the screws misaligned. he's better than last year. He began the early season on fire but it's dwindled since.

It's been noted for weeks by others too. Nothing would make me happier if he just crushed people the rest of the way in. He could. I don't think he will. And therein lies the problem. Unless he does, it's unlikely our Zags will be going far.

But back to what you apparently misread. I said the pollsters don't care about the WCC or big victories over Santa Clara, USF, etc. Most WCC teams aren't big in the national eyes. SMC's a bit more and Memphis is a lot more. My point was that we can win by 50 in the WCC and it 's not an eyecatcher or a vote getter. Just doesn't matter so much. I mean the WCC just doesn't hold forth in discussions of basketball excellence. GU is expected to clean the place out.

And UNC has little place in this conversation. Beat by a very good BC team and beat by undefeated and no 1 Wake Forest is hardly equivalent of anything in the leage here. ACC is a long way from the WCC. We're in tough and despite the other kids improving, it won't be enough unless JH becomes dominant. FT's, defense, and rebounding is what we need. Defense and rebounding is where JH comes in. He's playing ok (average) defense and his rebounding is now 6.7 /game. He should be better.

ZagsGoZags
01-19-2009, 01:02 AM
that's right, UNC lost twice, we lost 4, and to less credible teams

I think we'll move to 23 and 26

MississppiZag
01-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Josh hasn't steppepd since 7-0?

Josh had 21 and 7 against Texas Southern, 15 against Thabeet and Adrien of UConn, 13 and 8 against PSU, 10 and 10 against Utah, 15 and 12 against Tennessee, and 14 against Portland.

While not the dominating performance(20 and 10) you seem to expect nightly, I would say he has played pretty well, besides a few slip ups.

zagnut52
01-19-2009, 05:23 AM
I think maybe the low 20's at least.

MississppiZag
01-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Likely 20-25, some where in there.

FuManShoes
01-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Josh is part of a team but as a 5th yr Senior AND with his awesome talent, he sould be doing 20-10 nightly. He isn't. I doubt he will unless something matters to him we don't know about yet. He is the one guy who HASN'T stepped up since the 7-0 start.

I was with ya on the rankings thing, Doc, but not this. Josh is battling down low. Please rewatch the USF game if you care to. I think he could have been a bit tougher with Lowhorn and tougher on the boards in the first half, but I also think there is legitimate concern about foul trouble with Sacre out. Regardless, Josh came out with fire in the 2nd half and has displayed it in other games. I think he helps others rebound by clearing space -- thus he and Daye can be an effective rebounding force when they put their minds to it. Josh has had several games this year where he showed the whole package -- alley-oops, hook shots, bank shots and threes. In a nutshell that is what he did against UNC but on this team full of scorers it doesn't stand out, nor does it need to. The Zags don't need 20 from Josh. They need him to body up and he seems to be doing it. USF mugged him and kept the ball out of his hands. Why would they do that if they had no fear of what he could do down low?

Angelo Roncalli
01-19-2009, 06:24 AM
23-24 in the AP.

27 in ESPN/USA coaches.

jazzdelmar
01-19-2009, 06:44 AM
earth to zagiacs....seriously, u guys saying GU shld be top 20 are nutso...the WCC is crap, the worst its been in a decade......GU hasnt even played the worst of the worse yet -- LMU....u cd make an all star team of all the non Zags in the WCC and it wdnt be as good a team the Zags might play in the round of 32...daye going off for 20-30-40 is nice for his folks, but pleez, this is high school, D2 comp....its not the players fault, so all u man-lovers of Pgo, AD, JH and the rest back off.....its just the way it is...Abe is right, that train has done left the station.....(ps: Arizona is the worst loss of all, that team wont finish in the top 2/3rds of the PX).....so w only a gaggle of meaningful games left -- SMC and Calipari (no one cares abt USD, tho they will be tough), the best GU can hope for is 20-25....and a 5 seed...........

roxdoc
01-19-2009, 07:16 AM
I think Abe and Jazz are right. We had our chance for high rankings and we blew it. What's are best win(s)?...TN, and thats not looking so good right now. HOWEVER, that said it sets up a possibly interesting situation. We are a darn good team, one that probably should be ranked higher than what we will get. If we make it to the dance we could be under seeded and possibly create some excitement by "overachiveing". Sounds like the old days:D

siliconzag
01-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Ranking will be between 20-24th. Not sure where.

But here is my question:. How many teams deserve to be ranked higher than the Zags? In other words, are they a top ten team? What about a top 20 team? My guess is that at this stage of the season there are only 12 or 13 teams who are better. And that may be overestimating those "above" us. And as their confidence is restored, maybe only 5 or 6 are still better than our Zags.

Sili

bartruff1
01-19-2009, 07:43 AM
23-24 in the AP.

27 in ESPN/USA coaches. For a variety of reason's including exposure and familiarity there may actually be a east coast bias in the polls. Not anything deliberate just a predisposition. I think there is some "love" for Gonzaga because of their exposure back there but nothing like there is for UCLA. As for Josh, IMHO, this team is like the Platt River, wide but not deep. If one of the Six Shooters in unable to play we are in trouble. If it is Josh, getting to the Dance will be problematic. It ain't over till it is over. If the Zags don't make the Championship Game of the WCC and someone besides St Mary's wins....well....

krozman
01-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Well, AP is out and we're 28. heh

spudzag
01-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Frankly the ranking seems fair.

gozags09
01-19-2009, 09:07 AM
ESPN/USA Today Poll
1. Wake Forest (25) 16-0 769
2. Duke (6) 16-1 747
3. Connecticut 16-1 688
4. Pittsburgh 16-1 679
5. Oklahoma 17-1 649
6. North Carolina 16-2 643
7. Michigan State 15-2 566
8. Syracuse 17-2 520
9. Clemson 16-1 472
10. Marquette 16-2 469
11. UCLA 14-3 443
12. Louisville 13-3 377
13. Xavier 15-2 360
14. Georgetown 12-4 349
15. Texas 13-4 344
16. Arizona State 15-3 337
17. Butler 16-1 332
18. Purdue 14-4 193
19. Notre Dame 12-5 180
20. Minnesota 16-2 154
21. Villanova 14-3 152
22. Saint Mary's 17-1 134
23. Baylor 14-3 82
24. Illinois 15-3 72
25. Memphis 14-3 72
Others Receiving Votes
California 65, Florida 52, Gonzaga 35, Utah State 31, Ohio State 22, Brigham Young 22, Dayton 16, Missouri 13, Kentucky 12, Davidson 9, Kansas 3, West Virginia 3, Washington 2, Miami (FL) 2, Florida State 2, Arkansas 2, Michigan 1.

jazzdelmar
01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Ranking will be between 20-24th. Not sure where.

But here is my question:. How many teams deserve to be ranked higher than the Zags? In other words, are they a top ten team? What about a top 20 team? My guess is that at this stage of the season there are only 12 or 13 teams who are better. And that may be overestimating those "above" us. And as their confidence is restored, maybe only 5 or 6 are still better than our Zags.

Sili

This comment is just plain silly, Sili. Beyond that, I don't know what else to say.........cept to say that there maybe 7 teams better than the Zags in the BE and at least 4 in the ACC.....

Angelo Roncalli
01-19-2009, 09:16 AM

The AP hasn't been released yet. You're looking at the ESPN/USAToday coaches' poll. AP won't be out until this afternoon.

Heh.

PregoPargo
01-19-2009, 09:40 AM
SI.com posted Gonzaga at 26th in AP poll.

PregoPargo
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry SI.com AP was different than ESPN's AP poll looks like we're 23rd. Sweet!