PDA

View Full Version : A Few Thoughts on the Game vs San Francisco

Reborn
01-17-2009, 07:15 PM
After a very slow start, it turned out to be a good game. Downs came in and really picked up the offense with a nice 3. Then Austin got going and he was really great tonight.

Our depth continues to be our greatest strength. Bouldin and Gray were definaetely off from the outside, and up steps Micah and Austin. Bang, bang, bang. And we're off and running. Josh was very sleepy tonight, but Ira really came in with a lot of energy as usual. Ira will really be able to compete in the WCC. He did a very good job on Lowhorn. And I think he had like 7 or 8 boards, and yes, another very good dunk.

I really enjoy watching the end of games with this Zag team. I think it's a very good quality. In most years, you want to just turn the TV off once the bench comes in for the last 3 minutes, but not with these guys. You want to see what Ira is going to do. You want to see if Will blocks another shot and maybe gets a hoop. Well, you just know Sorenson is going to hit a three, and you want to see that infectious smile as he runs down court. And Meech brings plenty of excitement. These guys are fun to watch. Great job guys.

FuManShoes
01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Josh was very sleepy tonight, but Ira really came in with a lot of energy as usual.

Agree with much of what you say, except I think Josh was battling coming out in the 2nd half. In the first half he just seemed off and discouraged/disinterested when he couldn't get a touch. The second half was another story. He was strong with the ball. That tip jam was awesome, and he kept going to the rack after that despite the muggings. He really needs to get his FT stroke back. Those misses don't hurt so much against USF but will be costly against St. Mary's (Simpson was 10-11 tonight from FT line).

Reborn
01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
The defense provided the spark tonight, and the rebounding lit the fire. I think we had the most offensive boards of the year as well as put backs. It's nice to see guys going to the offensive boards. Downs is really a spark plug on defense and brings so much energy. He's become the fire starter in my opinion. He is a GREAT 6th man. Maybe by the end of the year he will win a national 6th man of the year award. Wouldn't it be nice for something like that to happen to someone who was a senior on the team and lost his starting job. I think it was a great move by Mark Few and was gutsy. You got to give a lot of credit to Micah to accepting the change and now making the most of it. I think our best defense so far this year has been the half-court press. It just seems to create a lot of turnovers and quick-starts our offense. Good defense does create good offense. I've felt that Duke has had the best defense this year, and now Gonzaga is moving up toward them. We're a ways back, but improving.

I haven't seen the stats yet, so I'll post again later after I see them. Just wanted to put in a good word for the great effort defensively.

theirishzag03
01-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, I guess the MEMPHIS MODEL got the Tigers to the championship game.

But seriously??? How good would we be if we were Zaglike from the stripe?

57% Wow, we are shooting worse than Shaq lately!!! This will hurt eventually!

Hard to find faults with another 35 point win, BUT the first 5 minutes were poor and the FT's must improve!

Reborn
01-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Here are the stats I liked:

1. 40 pts in the paint for Gu. 16 for USF
2. Second chance pts for GU 22 For USF 9
3. Rebounding Killed them on the boards: Josh, Ira, and Austin 9 each.
Will Foster had 5

4. The Zags shot 51.6% Not too good from the 3 pt line 36% but 50% in the second half.

5. 9 Blocked shots
6. Only 8 turnovers. May have been season low.
7. Austin scored career high 25 pts. on 10-14 shooting (3-5 from the 3 pt line).
8. Our Bench outscored USF's 32-14

GonzagaLove
01-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Great performance this week by the Zags. Is this week enough to get us back into the top 25? I miss seeing us on Sportcenter. (unless Ira goes off, of course).

theirishzag03
01-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Top 25 FOR sure in AP most likely ESPN also. Lots of teams from 18-25 lost and most to unranked teams. Our 2 wins were very impressive. I predict #21 (AP) #24 (USA-ESPN)