PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith

iowaZagaFan
01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, im new here and let me tell you i love the zags. I was just wondering does anyone know if we have a chance of landing the #1 recruit in the land for 2010, Josh Smith, i see we made his list.

CDC84
01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Better hope for a deep run in March......

spudzag
01-15-2009, 08:12 PM
A chance yes, but a super longshot. He can go any where he wants. :D

CDC84
01-15-2009, 08:20 PM
You know a player is great when both North Carolina AND Duke are competing for the same player. I know it wouldn't seem like it on the surface, but UNC and Duke rarely cross paths recruiting wise. They tend to recruit different players. Not in this case.

dazags
01-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Welcome Iowa!

iowaZagaFan
01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
You know a player is great when both North Carolina AND Duke are competing for the same player. I know it wouldn't seem like it on the surface, but UNC and Duke rarely cross paths recruiting wise. They tend to recruit different players. Not in this case.

The same thing is happening with our hometown stud harrison barnes, both duke and unc are both after him. Both of them came to our high schools open gym workout.

Zag4Hire
03-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Is there any update? I defer to the experts. I am guessing this kid might be a 'one and done' in regards to the NBA and I read articles about Few and coaching staff saying they typically try to avoid those type of players. Does GU have a shot at this kid or should we just take satisfaction that he is on the list? Is there a visit, etc.? How did GU get put on Josh Smith's list on Scout?

Angelo Roncalli
03-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I would rate GU's chances at Josh Smith at about one or two in a hundred.

JAGzag
03-30-2009, 09:20 AM

"So you're saying there's a chance!"

... name that movie!

Zag4Hire
03-30-2009, 09:22 AM

... name that movie!

DUMB & DUMBER!

BobZag
03-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Louisville.

NontradZag
03-30-2009, 09:24 AM

... name that movie!
Greatest movie of all time...Dumb and Dumber. Classic when they walk into the charity event.

Nittany Tar Heel
03-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Carolina and dook aren't recruiting Smith, but both are going after Barnes. dook appears to be the favorite right now.

MotoZag
03-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Well, there is a big difference between 1:100 and 1:50.... :)

pbriz
03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
UW or Louisville would be my guess. Probably slight edge to UW just because of location and Romar's ability to recruit players locally

dawgfather11
03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Josh Smith will decide between UW and UCLA. UW has the lead atm due to their great season.

justinwalshBIL
03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Josh wont go to Louisville because Jeremy Tyler is going to Louisville and no All American wants to compete for his own position with another just as talented All American. Josh is leaning toward UW not because of the season they had, he's leaning that way because Romar and he are on first name basis, they have a good relationship. It's simple as that. UCLA doesn't have a chance in hell in landing Smith. Smith named Gonzaga because it's a good team in the state of Washington, and he named just about every other school because most players do that- they name about 20 schools because they don't feel like dealing with a billion questions about their top 5

dawgfather11
03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Josh wont go to Louisville because Jeremy Tyler is going to Louisville and no All American wants to compete for his own position with another just as talented All American. Josh is leaning toward UW not because of the season they had, he's leaning that way because Romar and he are on first name basis, they have a good relationship. It's simple as that. UCLA doesn't have a chance in hell in landing Smith. Smith named Gonzaga because it's a good team in the state of Washington, and he named just about every other school because most players do that- they name about 20 schools because they don't feel like dealing with a billion questions about their top 5

Really? that's funny because UCLA was smiths strong leader until UW started winning this year...

ZagLawGrad
03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Really? that's funny because UCLA was smiths strong leader until UW started winning this year...

If UW is high on his list, he'd be smart to wait and see if UW can actually put together two winning seasons in a row.

From the schools I've read on his list, he can do a lot better.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-30-2009, 06:29 PM
DUMB & DUMBER!

I heard Josh is going to Colorado Mountain College in Aspen, Colorado. According to his AAU coach, Josh wants to go someplace warm, a place where the beer flows like wine, and where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

justinwalshBIL
03-30-2009, 06:47 PM
dawgfather, really, he's BEEN getting along just fine with Washington. It's my j-o-b to know these things. I talk to most of these top recruits. I've done a story on Josh Smith for SLAM. Oh well, guess I must be completely ignorant of the situation.

justinwalshBIL
03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
californiazaggin, that was possibly the FUNNIEST line I've heard all week.

MDABE80
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Gotta hand it to that Romar..........he's quite the salesman.

If I was Smith and I would read the Times, I'd think GU is the place to go. All the lavish praise both in the human interest angles and the splendid season the Zags had were very were chronicled the past few weeks. Of course, GU is a very successful, consistent program:)

dpouley
03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
If UW is high on his list, he'd be smart to wait and see if UW can actually put together two winning seasons in a row.

Romar has been at UW for seven years. The UW has had winning seasons five of those seven years. During that time he coached four winning seasons in a row.

ZagLawGrad
03-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Romar has been at UW for seven years. The UW has had winning seasons five of those seven years. During that time he coached four winning seasons in a row.

Last year's season = losing

This year's season = winning

Next season???

Winning streaks measured here by Zag standards. 10+ seasons and running in the Dance.

2011Zag
03-30-2009, 09:17 PM

Savannah State also had a "winning" season this year.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?y=2009&team=Savannah%20St.

dpouley
03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Last year's season = losing

This year's season = winning

Next season???

Winning streaks measured here by Zag standards. 10+ seasons and running in the Dance.

Last year and this year have NOTHING to do with what you originally wrote.

You wrote: "If UW is high on his list, he'd be smart to wait and see if UW can actually put together two winning seasons in a row."

I was confirming for you that UW has indeed had two winning seasons in a row (specifically under Romar).

I never mentioned GU, or tried to measure what has gone on at UW over the last seven years, to what GU has done over the last 10+ years.

Why is it always UW vs. GU for you ZagLawGrad?

ZagLawGrad
03-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Last year and this year have NOTHING to do with what you originally wrote.

You wrote: "If UW is high on his list, he'd be smart to wait and see if UW can actually put together two winning seasons in a row."

I was confirming for you that UW has indeed had two winning seasons in a row (specifically under Romar).

I never mentioned GU, or tried to measure what has gone on at UW over the last seven years, to what GU has done over the last 10+ years.

Why is it always UW vs. GU for you ZagLawGrad?

Just keeping you honest DP.

SamwiseTheZag
03-31-2009, 06:46 AM
young Mr. Smith also needs to take into consideration the way Mr Romar handled the last super recruit 1 and Done Center.

If I were him, I would go to UCLA.

dpouley
03-31-2009, 07:19 AM
young Mr. Smith also needs to take into consideration the way Mr Romar handled the last super recruit 1 and Done Center.

If I were him, I would go to UCLA.

Are you suggesting he mishandled Spencer Hawes? How so?

JAGzag
03-31-2009, 07:20 AM
If this kid is one and done, it really doesn't mattere where he goes. He'll get a lot more exposure at UCLA though. Hell, he'd get more exposure at GU than UW.

gu03alum
03-31-2009, 07:32 AM
He should go the route of Brandon Jennings and play in Europe for a year.

SamwiseTheZag
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Are you suggesting he mishandled Spencer Hawes? How so?

For starters, missing the tournament (even NIT) with a Lottery pick on his roster.

Going 19-13 overall 2-11 on the road, (with the 2 victories against ASU who was the last place team in the Pac-10)

Not to mention a 20 point thrashing at the Kennel to conclude the 10 game series vs. the Zags which he went 1-9.

I have seen Josh Smith play, and his style does not mesh with the Huskies Uptempo helter skelter offense.

If I'm him, I would look at the success Kevin Love had at UCLA, and think Gee, I play like that guy, maybe I would be better off in a system that would allow me to show my talents, instead of playing for someone who clearly can't coach in a half court style offense.

skan72
03-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Savannah State also had a "winning" season this year.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?y=2009&team=Savannah%20St.

...Are you serious? UW plays in the Pac-10.

dpouley
03-31-2009, 07:34 PM
For starters, missing the tournament (even NIT) with a Lottery pick on his roster.

Going 19-13 overall 2-11 on the road, (with the 2 victories against ASU who was the last place team in the Pac-10)

Not to mention a 20 point thrashing at the Kennel to conclude the 10 game series vs. the Zags which he went 1-9.

You said that he mishandled Hawes.

Not that his team did not live up to expectations.

Hawes left after one year, was named to the Pac10 All freshman team, he was an all Pac10 Honorable Mention and was a lottery pick. If you need to read more, here ya go: Spencer Hawes (http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/hawes_spencer00.html). If you believe that the team did not live up to expectations, I would agree with you. However, to claim that Romar some how mishandled Hawes, and by his mishandling of Hawes some how hurt Hawes basketball career or progress is just not true.

BTW, it may be splitting hairs, but Romar is 1-4 against GU, not 1-9.

EngineerZag
03-31-2009, 07:47 PM
It is frustrating to watch a player like Smith get talked into going to UW when they don't play anybody OOC, didn't go far in the tourney this year, whereas at GU at least you'll get lots of ESPN time playing quality teams OOC and even ESPN time in conference, and we've got a 11 year streak in the tourney on our side.

It's probably because Spokane vs Seattle (or a lot of other cities) is a tough sell, sucks because we can't do anything about that.

TimZag
03-31-2009, 08:21 PM
It is frustrating to watch a player like Smith get talked into going to UW when they don't play anybody OOC
I can't believe I'm defending UW because no self respecting man wears purple on a regular basis and still has the audacity to pee standing up, but we'd be thrilled to have a schedule playing UCLA twice, USC twice, Arizona and ASU twice... I think you catch my drift. UW had a better SOS last year by a pretty big margin.

If you want to call Romar a chicken for backing out of the series, I agree with you. If you want to say he's more of a used car salesman than a basketball coach, I'm with you there, too. Go ahead and bring up their recent NIT and CBI (is that what it's called?) appearances. Just don't bring SOS into this, it's a losing battle.

http://kenpom.com/rate.php?s=NCSOSPythag

How many BCS schools do you see near the top of that list? There are lots of very respectable programs sitting near UW in those rankings. We have a strong OOC schedule because we have to, the can have a SOS rank of 15 without having a brutal OOC to start the season.

If you were Josh Smith, would you want to be playing in the WCC just as the CBB season is kicking into high gear? A front loaded schedule is not ideal for a one and done player (or any freshman, for that matter). I love GU, but if I wasn't planning on staying for more than a year or two I'd be looking elsewhere too. If he makes the mistake of choosing UW, oh well, we all made bad decisions at 18.

seasontixholder
04-01-2009, 04:37 AM
The problem for any kid wanting recognition is that UW is a regional brand on regional TV. As far as East Coast viewers are concerned, they are based in Alaska.