PDA

View Full Version : Next year's Starting Five...

sonuvazag
03-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Will be Awesome:

Pargo
Bouldin
Pendo
Downs
Heytvelt

Reserves... will be awesome also.

wazZag
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I agree for the most part. Some of the bench contributions are going to be so significant that its difficult to pick only 5. If Kuso develops more (or any) touch around the basket he'll be incredible. Many of the frosh are probably ready to contribute as well as the JC, Brown.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Heytvelt

Well, he's not back on the team yet. Obviously, he's got to get his act together first. Let's hope he can get things sorted out personally, then perhaps he can contribute to the team next year.

I'm interested to see how Gray, Sacre, Daye, & Brown fit into the mix. If just two of them can have the impact that Bouldin & Downs have this year, we may be a very good team.

----

omahazag
03-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree your starting line-up. What about Theo Davis...not as a starter, but won't he be a legitimate option for us down low next year? If so, hard not to see as being one of the top reserves next year....From what's been posted, he is a talented kid.

It is going to be interesting to see how Few handles all these talented players....guess i'll have to wait and see.

TuckC
03-16-2007, 01:02 PM
PG Pargo
SG Bouldin
SF Downs
PF Pendergraft
C Heytvelt
--
06th Sacre
07th Gurganious(depends on health)/Cespedes
08th Kuso
09th Gray
10th Foster

former1dog
03-16-2007, 01:08 PM
PG Pargo
SG Bouldin
SF Downs
PF Pendergraft
C Heytvelt
--
06th Sacre
07th Gurganious(depends on health)/Cespedes
08th Kuso
09th Gray
10th Foster

Provided he is on the team next year, Davis will play in front of Foster.

TuckC
03-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I edited my story earlier, I had him 9th, but yeah. I agree.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I know he's 6'10" and growing, but based on the bit of video I've seen of Daye, I would not be surprised if he gets some minutes at the 2 guard spot in addition to small forward. He's got a great handle and outside stroke. I see Bouldin moving to the PG spot when Pargo needs a rest (unless there's a real turn of events regarding PMac.....still no idea what happened w his minutes this year).

Just for fun, how's this for an all-athletic, full-court pressure D look for spurts next year:
PG PMac
SG Daye
SF Downs
PF Davis
C Heytvelt
Imagine a West Virginia style 1-3-1 zone with that kind of length and athleticism. Ball handling and leadership on the offensive end would be key to this working.....but man it looks fun on paper.

VanZagar
03-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't want to imagine any zone. After last night I want man to man.

theothegreat21
03-16-2007, 02:15 PM
I see next year having a starting five of Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Brown, and Heytvelt. If Ira Brown really is a PJ tucker like player then we can use him to stretch defenses with an occasional 3 pointer and use him inside to really bang and be aggressive. I think 6-10 and I really believe we might go 9 or 10 deep will be Pendo, Larry G, Kuso, Davis, and Daye/Gray/Sacre depending on the game or situation. And I think all those guys off the bench will play a significant role in a very successful season next year

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2007, 02:31 PM
PG: Pargo
SG: Bouldin
SF: Downs
PF: Kuso
C: Heytvelt

Best starting 5 in college hoops imho. Bench of Pendo, PMac, Daye, Gray, Sacre, Brown and Davis is sick. Look for LG, Burgess and maybe Foster to go elsewhere unfortunately.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Will be Awesome:

Pargo
Bouldin
Pendo
Downs
Heytvelt

Reserves... will be awesome also.

Just for discussion, but let's try a more traditional lineup:

1 - Pargo, backup - PMac
2 - Bouldin, backup - Gray
3 - Pendo, backup - Downs
4 - Heytvelt, backup - Davis
5 - Kuso, backup - Sacre

With all of our interchangeable pieces, we should be playing an aggresive man-to-man (40 minutes of hell with a 1-3-1 trapping defense?), with Kuso/Sacre/Foster as the last line of defense should the opponent break down the defense. The other four players on the court should be absolutely rotating and flying to the ball.

Out of necessity, Pargo and Raivio were playing 35 plus minutes per game. With our depth, I don't see why anybody should be playing more than 30 minutes a game. Sure, the rotation can be tightened the last few weeks of the season, but I'm concerned about "fresh legs" heading into the Dance.

Without considering the rest of the WCC, with our projected team for next year, anything less than 13-1 will be a disappointment.

GU69
03-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I am hoping to see Pendo as a starter for all games next year.

I think that senior leadership is important. In some ways next year's team may be Pargo's team, because he is the point guard and a strong personality. But he won't be a senior. I think that ultimately Pendo will be the man.

It is a long ways away, but next year should be fun.

TheOtherGreatOne
03-16-2007, 05:09 PM
i don't know why people want to run foster off. you don't run off 7'4''players with tallent. players that tall who can run the floor and move don't come along very often. given time foster will help this team. i can tell most who talk about foster leaving know nothing about reading tallent. if he were a stiff i could see wanting him to leave so the scollership could be used for someone else,but he is not a stiff. all you have to do is be patient and give him time to adjust to the speed of the college game.

TrueLiz
03-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I wasn't terribly impressed with Foster until I went to the game at San Diego this year. When he played 5 minutes to close out the first half due to foul trouble, he really made an impact. It was the first time I'd seen him not look somewhat lost. Blocked shot, altering other shots without getting beat on defense, and even good offensive possessions. He has potential.

Zagdawg
03-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Next year--
How many scholies are there available per year --14 or 12?

Pmac
Bouldin
Pargo
Gurganious
Downs
Pendo
Kuso
Foster
Burgess
Davis
Heytvelt

Incoming
Daye
Grey
Sacre
Brown

Fonebone
03-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Ok - but what do you see as end of the year starters - assume what you want as to how the new guys develope. And I know ..... who starts is not as important as who plays....

I hope that by the end of next season that some of the new guys have moved into starting positions. I would be surprized if any of them start at first, but would not be surprized to see Sacre start by the end.

As much as I love Pendo, I'm guessing that he won't start all year. I think that the coaches have started moving away from being stuck on playing upper classmen so much, and I hope that they continue to move towards rewarding current value vs historical roles. I agree with previous posts that Pendo was as important as anyone in our late season run, but circumstances and personell will be different next year.

If Downs becomes more solid and continues to improve, he will end up being one of our best guys, and hopefully playing high minutes.

And I don't get the post about Larry G. moving on. I think that he can be our best defender, and we need that.

sittingon50
03-16-2007, 09:52 PM
I think Pendo starts. He became such an offensive force when his role changed.
Energy off the bench is important & I believe Brown will fill that role. Inexperienced D-1 wise, but mature human being wise. A healthy LG will also bring energy.

Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Pendo & Heytvelt is a LOT of offense.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Next year--
How many scholies are there available per year --14 or 12?

It's my understanding that there are 13 scholarships available. You listed 15 players, and I think that Downs and Burgess transferred without scholarships. Not sure how else it would work, although it seems surprising that they wouldn't find one for Downs, at least.

-------------

Mantua
03-16-2007, 10:22 PM
The team that put us on the map with Santangelo, Frahm & Calvary had great heart. Pendo could lead the team with his huge efforts and viral good will. I think he starts every game.

tyra
03-16-2007, 11:10 PM
There are 13 schollies to be distributed among 15 returning players and incoming freshmen. Two names on the previous list will be gone unless someone red shirts and I don't see any nominees for that in the group.

I am increasingly convinced that -- barring injuries -- playing time will be more distributed next year than is Coach Few's past practice. While falling short of a true platoon approach, I can see 9 or 10 guys getting quite a bit of time. It will be both fun and fascinating to see how this sorts itself out in the next several months.

Birddog
03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
unless someone red shirts "Redshirt" is a term describing eligibility, not status of scholarship. In other words, you are usually on scholarship while in a "redshirt" year. Two players will be going off scholarship, take it to the bank, (unless one or more of the incoming change their mind).

Birddog

BroncoZAG615
03-17-2007, 09:52 AM
PG: Pargo
SG: Bouldin
SF: Downs
PF: Kuso
C: Heytvelt

Best starting 5 in college hoops imho. Bench of Pendo, PMac, Daye, Gray, Sacre, Brown and Davis is sick. Look for LG, Burgess and maybe Foster to go elsewhere unfortunately.

I would be EXTREMELY upset if LG went elsewhere. I would also be very suprised. I think he likes it at GU very much and once healthy will be a key part of our roation. Burgess and Foster I have accepted as not being a huge part of our future but for me, LG could be key. We need his defense and his length big time. Hope your just speculating, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Air Force Zag
03-17-2007, 10:00 AM
The deal with LG has to be his back...if he is healthy, there is too much talent there -- we instantly go another notch up in terms of defense. If not, there's just not enough room.

EL MUSTACIO
03-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I dont think that Foster OR LG will be going anywhere, however that might not be the case with Burgess. It has been posted that LG's back is getting much better and he says it feels fine. The doctors have said that if his back continues to imporve, he will get the thumbs up to play GU bball. He came to Gonzaga to play, so why would he leave. He's destined to get playing time seeing how hes the best defender on our team by far. The coaches wouldnt want a beast to get up and leave. Foster has so, so much potential. If the coaches get him into the weight room over the summer, there are tremendous possibilities. He is 7'3" or 4" not sure which. He was blocking/ altering shots like crazy in the little playing time he earned. With enough work over the summer on his shots, and a little beef, he could very well be a great big man along with JH) for the next three years! Burgess, however, I'm not quite so sure of. He never really contributed at all. The only real positive vibe i was feeling from him was his rebounding. He would ALWAYS box out. This is what GU needs, but I;m not so sure that Burgess is the right way to go. I think he might have scored 2 points all year and he definetly got his chance. I was so excited to see him in the game, but I was dissapointed in his production. He was posting up, but it seemed like the ball was never passed to him. He did get it a few times but ended up passing it away or turning it over. So yes, I see DB leaving or, going on without a schollie. Maybe su padres can afford it. Would love to see him stay. Now I know that were short two shollies, but i dont Foster or LG leaving in the process. Out of the three, I say it is almost certain that LG is staying.

thespywhozaggedme
03-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Bronco,
I wish you were right but as of now LG is stuck behind Downs, Daye, Pendo and Brown at the sf position. Larry doesn't have a good enough outside game to play the 2 guard. As for Foster, I hope he gets a chance he, can change a game with his shot blocking abilities. Next season should be quite interesting.

Kiddwell
03-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Mid-Season/Post-Season starters:
PG - Pargo
SG - Bouldin
SF - Downs
PF - Heytvelt (assuming...)
PF - Kuso/Theo Davis (can't make up my mind)
***Holy cow, cows, and half-a-cow, this group is talented!

Bench
PG - PMAC
SG - Gray (I have a totally uninformed suspicion he'll redshirt)
SF - Pendo
SF/PF - Ira Davis
C - Sacre
***This "bench squad" (IMHO) is way better than anything the WCC can put on the floor as starters. In fact, dare I say, equal or better than many a D1 program's starters?

Deep ("good" connotation) Bench:
PG -
SG -
SF - Gurganious (How, O, how I want this young man to get healthy and play!)
SF - Daye
C - Foster
C - Burgess
***Sounds like Daye is the real deal and three-quarters; I give the nod to Pendo though (as first off the bench) due to his full-steam-ahead "battleshiposity" and seniority.

My take on Foster/Burgess:
BURGESS was hurt early in the season. With guidance and seasoning, I think he contributes next year and is a solid "Sean Mallon"-type his senior year (though a bit quicker). I don't think he leaves to another D1 program 'cause I don't think the NCAA rules allow two transfers. (If I'm wrong on this, somebody set me straight please)

FOSTER is a beanpole growing into his body. I really like Will's potential as a junior/senior Zag. With, say, another 40 lbs of beef and patient b-ball nurturing by the coaching staff. Hope Will doesn't leave.

:]

thespywhozaggedme
03-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Kidwell,
I think you've solved the problem. Combine Ira Brown and Theo Davis into a high flying, 3 point shooting,rebounding machine and name him Ira Davis. Nice, lol
Seriously though, IB is 6'3-6'4, not a pf in major D1 hoops.

USF
03-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Mid-Season/Post-Season starters:

Bench
PG - PMAC
SG - Gray (I have a totally uninformed suspicion he'll redshirt)
SF - Pendo
SF/PF - Ira Davis
C - Sacre
***This "bench squad" (IMHO) is way better than anything the WCC can put on the floor as starters. In fact, dare I say, equal or better than many a D1 program's starters?

What makes you think that a player who barely gets off your bench, a role player, 2 kids who have not played ONE minute of D-1 basketball, and a made up guy will be better that all other WCC starting lineups? Let along "many D-1 program's starters?"

It makes no sense whatsoever and has no basis in fact.

Kiddwell
03-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes, Ira BROWN. My bad.

Yes, Ira's not a "big" for a typical D1 PF, but he might be a PF relative to jumping ability, maturity, and enthusiasm.

TrueLiz
03-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Could anyone point me in the direction of some good websites to learn mroe about the recruits for next year, other than the ones that charge $ to access the information? Or would I have to give in and pay for a subscription?

RebornZag
03-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Heytvelt
Davis
Pargo
Bouldin
Downs

we'll have one of the best benches in the country with Pendo, Brown, Daye, Kuso Sacre LG and Gray. If LG is able to play that gives us one more guard off the bench. LG could also start. I mean there is so much talent in this group it's going to be real tough to find the starters, and the team may be quite a bit like this years in the sense that we may not know until we enter conference play who our strarters will be.

spudzag
03-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Most comments have the new talented recruits playing infront of those already here. Does that give us a glimpse of who the remaining 13 will be? Seems to be a log jamb at center and SF. Wpn't you expect that is where the reduction is going to need to come? Don't you suppose the decision has already been made so they can look for their future homes?

But back to the original thread; Few has been pretty is loyal to his seniors in past seasons. Next year Pendo, Kuso and PMAC will be his seniors. Pendo is on many of the lists and Kuso on a few, but not PMAC. NAy chance PMAC can come into favor again?