• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

You have to admit ...

The John Bryant story is pretty remarkable. To transform one's self from a plodding oaf who can barely make it down the floor into one of the best big men in the nation is no small feat. He's always had great touch, but with that body he seemed like a novelty act good for only a few good minutes each half. I haven't seen Bryant play this year, so I'm quite curious to see this "new look." Anyone know how much weight he's dropped? Hopefully the Zags have an answer for him (though GU's versatility likely trumps Bryant), or at least make him work his a$$ off.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • zagfan07
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Oct 2007

I expect to see plenty of pick and roll action with Heytvelt when he's on the court to force Bryant to come out and guard the perimeter. If we can make him guard people 20 feet from the basket, we're going to have a field day driving on their guards without a big man inside altering shots.

I wouldn't be surprised if Santa Clara plays a 2-3 zone most of the time Bryant's in there. He's definitely gotten lighter the past few seasons, but he's still not quick enough to guard Heytvelt or Daye out around the 3-point arc. It will be interesting to see how Heytvelt defends against him, as he's probably the best back-to-the-basket type of player we've faced this season outside of Hasheem Thabeet.
    GU Class of '07

Comment

• kyle dixon
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

I agree

I agree as it is a great story on Bryant. I believe he dropped 30 pounds. I read that somewhere. He is a force.

I know the Broncos picked up a great freshman (Foster) and it will be a great game tonight. I am just damn glad Brody Angley graduated. He was a thorn in our side for years.

Comment

• malmer7
        Kennel Club
        • Jan 2008

i've seen him play twice this year, and both games he has looked very well - but i think the zags have done a good job of making him a non-factor in the past and we should be able to do so this year. however, lack of thickness in the middle will definitely make things a bit more difficult.
        speaking of weight - bryant has got nothing on that guy from univ of wisconsin milwaukee... saw that 300+ pounder hit a 3 against uw-green bay to send it into OT, now THAT's a big, big boy with some touch!

Comment

• zagfan07
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Oct 2007

Speaking of Angley

Brody's playing basketball overseas and having a pretty good season thus far, averaging 14 points and 4 assists per game for SAM Basket Massagno club team in Lugano, Switzerland.

Here's a link to the team's page on Eurobasket.com if anyone's interested: http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=SUI&Team=1428
          GU Class of '07

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Bryant has lost so much weight that he looks like a completely different person. I didn't even recognize him on the TV screen.

I've only seen him play against St. Mary's, and the Gaels pretty much shut him down.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He is just what Gonzaga is missing, a big skilled post presence. With him, Zag fans could realistically talk Final Four.

imo.
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Rubbadub
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
                The John Bryant story is pretty remarkable. To transform one's self from a plodding oaf who can barely make it down the floor into one of the best big men in the nation is no small feat. He's always had great touch, but with that body he seemed like a novelty act good for only a few good minutes each half. I haven't seen Bryant play this year, so I'm quite curious to see this "new look." Anyone know how much weight he's dropped? Hopefully the Zags have an answer for him (though GU's versatility likely trumps Bryant), or at least make him work his a$$ off.
                Bryant will get his against GU--points, rebounds and blocks. He'll be the number one option. Limit his effectiveness by making him work for shots from outside the very low block. Make him actually jump to get his blocks. When possible, double team him so the fouls he draws won't all be on Josh. If you're going to foul him, keep the ball from going in like it often does. He's definitely a competitor, but even with his smaller frame he's still quite susceptible to fatigue before the game gets to crunch time.
                sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

Working...
                X