PDA

View Full Version : Zags and the injury bug

Section 116
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Here is a little snippet I saw on the USA Today's WCC page:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/westcoast/home.htm?loc=interstitialskip

"None of the Gaels' top eight players has missed a game this season, and their rotation has been set since the start of the season. Every player knows and accepts his role, including Ian O'Leary, who remains a starter but whose playing time and point production have been reduced this season."

I can't recall the last time the Zags made it through the first 16 games without one of their top 8 not missing a game. While not making excuses for our current record one wonders if we ever had our top eight healthy for the first half, and even better than entire season, just what type or season we would have.

It seems, it's always a matter of who and and for how long, and not will we be able to go through a season injury free. Incidentally the very same thing is happening to the Lady Zags with Shives out for the season, Jamie (Bjorklund) Shafer, out for around 6 weeks and other less severe injuries to a couple others.

Pleasant Peninsula
01-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't know. A healthy Sacre would have gotten them one of those wins, I suppose. I don't see a compelling argument that he could have been the deciding factor in a majority or all of those losses, however.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Let's not underestiamte the impact Rob would have made this season. This team needs a big bodied rebounder, which is Rob to a 'T'. And, he absolutely would have helped the Zags defensively against Nevil.

Anyhow, it does no good to say 'what if'. Like my grandfather used to say, you gotta dance with who ya brought.

Section 116
01-14-2009, 05:04 PM
I guess my real point is not so much would our record be better as much as it would be nice for the coaches, the players and the fans to have an intact team for a change. It seems the injuries always seem to jump up and bite us. I'm sure other teams have many of the same problems, injuries are after all part of the game. I'd just like to see us make it through a season some time with fewer missed games.

FuManShoes
01-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Following this team so closely, it sometimes seems like the Zags suffer an inordinate number of stress fractures, deep thigh brusies, spraigned ankles, tweaked backes, etc. But when Guynard went down for UNC at the start of the year and several other high-profile teams suffered losses, I gained a little perspective. Not to mention USD lost their sparkplug when Brandon Johnson tore his achilles. It still sucks that the "most talented" team in Zags history hasn't actually played a game where guys 1-9 100% healthy, but c'est la vie. Other teams seem to step up when the injury bug bites, and I hope the Zags have finally come to accept that they can't look to someone else to provide toughness in the paint, because I'm starting to doubt Big Rob will be back this season. Hey, at least we've gotten to see that Will Foster has in fact made strides.

kitzbuel
01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't know. A healthy Sacre would have gotten them one of those wins, I suppose. I don't see a compelling argument that he could have been the deciding factor in a majority or all of those losses, however.
I think we win against UConn with Rob. After that, don't know if we get the let down against Portland St. Just speculating of course.

Ezag
01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I am not convince Rob is the Man yet, he has hardly played in the past 2 years

GUZagDenver
01-15-2009, 08:06 AM

I agree. He is big, but has he really ever showed that he can rebound or score? I know he was a freshman last year and hurt this year, but you can still pretty much tell how good someone is going to be. I don't think I have ever really even seen "flashes" of brilliance from Rob. Just my opinion.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-15-2009, 08:11 AM

True, we haven't seen a lot of Rob yet. But Few had enough confidence in Rob to start him for a large chunk of last season, which I think speaks volumes about Rob's ability.

CDC84
01-15-2009, 09:34 AM
I think GU would've stood a good chance of beating Arizona if Rob was available in that game. It's not as if GU has been blown out in any of their losses. They could easily be undefeated right now if they had just made a play or two in those losses.

If Rob were healthy he would playing heavy minutes due to the rebounding issues on this team. He was just starting to get into basketball shape and get caught up to game speed when he reinjured his foot.

I think Rob's presence has a big effect on Heytvelt and his effort in games. Few can turn to Rob in instances where Josh needs a rest, or in instances where Few is dissatisfied with JH's effort when it comes to rebounding, etc. Right now, Few has to play JH, no matter what's going on, because he has no one he can turn to unless he wants to put his team in jeopardy of losing.