PDA

View Full Version : Point of order regarding Raivio & FT%

lothar98zag
03-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I haven't read all the posts over the past 20hrs (shocking, I know, but it is what it is)

Derek Raivio @ 92.7% does not have the #1 career FT% in the history of the NCAAs.

That honor goes to another senior this year: Blake Ahearn (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15571) of Missouri St w/ 94.6% for his career.

The reason some reporters are getting this wrong is they are looking at the NCAA record books and comparing it to DR's %. It is true DR's % is better than anyone else that finished playing last year or earlier, but the record book doesn't include active players, so that's why they are not counting BA's %.

I'm not trying to take away from what DR's done over 4 years - it's still an amazing accomplishment to finish w/ the 2nd best career FT% in the history of D1 hoops. I just wanted to clear up the confusion.

Carry on.

TrueLiz
03-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I was watching Missouri St. Wednesday night and decided to check how far behind Blake Ahearn was from Raivio, and could not figure out where I was going wrong, since he appeared to be 2 points ahead, yet everything I'd read showed Raivio as the new leader. I'm relieved to see that my math skills are not completely gone, and agree there there is certainly no shame in being the 2nd most accurate free throw shooter of all time. He will be greatly missed!!

sittingon50
03-16-2007, 12:05 PM
You are correct, lothar. It has come up a time or two during the season. Congrats to Ahearn & Derek.