PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing loss to end a tough season

BobZag
03-16-2007, 09:07 AM
The tank was on "E". You'd have to be blind not to see it. College kids are not energizer bunnies. Trials, tribulations, travel, drama, ups/downs, and a defensive-minded team equaled a first round loss.

I won't watch this tape to count all the easy bunnies that were missed but I'd wager no less than 26 points worth. It was epidemic and equal opportunity.

Winning the conference and conference tournament was the zenith for this team. The lack of energy, hustle, execution, smart play... Fans can harp all day long. But you don't airball 3-footers and miss layups again and again for no reason. They looked gassed to me. Not since the UVa game have they looked so weary.

Emotionally, they were used up. Spent. Tapped out.

No, this wasn't the worst loss. Nevada in '04 was worse. UCLA was more painful (by a mile). This is right around the Wyoming loss, though I don't feel as bad now as I did in '02.

Much more but CDC nailed it below. I'm off to watch Winthrop, I'm adopting them now. We fans will talk sensibly about our game when there's been more time for perspective and cooling off.

Next year will be better. Much better. :)

sullyzag66
03-16-2007, 09:25 AM
I feel pretty much the same way. I'm disappointed, but this one doesn't feel as bad as other March losses. They could have won this game, but they should have won the Wyoming game. That one still nags for me.

sonuvazag
03-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Very good BZ. I will accept this theory even in defense of the coaching staff and fans'. We're all frazzled. Next year will be sweetness, eliteness, and finally, who knows.

Wolkster
03-16-2007, 09:49 AM
>Next year will be better. Much better.

Yup. I filled out three brackets this year and this was the first time EVER that I didn't pick GU to make it in the Sweet 16. You were correct when you said they were a donut. Almost all the other GU teams had some type of offensive presense in the low post, which opens up the outside. There was none this year.

I smile when I think of all the possible lineups next year.

PG
Pargo
Bouldin

SG/SF
Pendo
P-Mac
Downs
Brown
Gurganious
Gray
Daye

C/PF
Heytvelt
Kuso
Sacre
Davis

That's 13 deep and will put a smile on anyone's face.

thickman1
03-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Well said Bob. Winthrop now jumps to 2nd on my "must watch" pecking order behind WSU. I hope the rest of you will cheer on the Cougs as well.

McZag
03-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Well said Bob. I'm really not that disappointed. I think next year's team will be incredible and although I hate losing DR I think the guards will be plenty strong come next Nov. Last year hurt so much worse because I knew we would lose Batista, Ammo and EK. But with the talent we have coming back, I have no doubt we will make 10 straight tournaments and have another chance at a March run. Also there will be less people running at Few with wild offers with this loss. Coaches will be together again in 07-08. I feel great about the program right now.

PeninsulaDog
03-16-2007, 10:29 AM
This is a walk in the park compared to last year's loss to UCLA, or the loss to Nevada. The loss to Nevada was an a s s-kicking from pillar to post. The humiliation was complete, and there was never a moment of drama. It was as inexplicable as it was maddening.

Last year's loss to UCLA is in a category all by itself, unique in its horrors. I'll never forget that traumatic experience in Oakland, standing there making plans for the next game against Memphis, when suddenly . . . it all came crashing down in flames. Like having your heart torn out and shown to you, still beating, in your expiring moments. Sudden and horrifying. I kept waiting for someone to get on the P.A. system to announce that it was all a big mistake. Like tripping at the finish line after leading a marathon for the entire race. It took me days to get over that one.

Last night was another story: After the first couple of missed lay-ups and 2-footers, I just had a sense which way it was going to go. A lot of posters may be inclined to discount the possibility of 20 year-old kids being tired, but BobZag and CDC are on the money on this one. Fatigue can be physical, mental, emotional or a combination of all three. This game was a lot like the loss to Butler after an emotional win over North Carolina. In both games you got the feeling that if just one or two things could have gone right, there was a chance. But it didn't pan out for whatever reason -- fatigue, letdown, whatever.

At the end of each season, I remind myself that a mere 13 years ago, I used to tell myself that I would be content to see the Zags make it to Big Dance just once. Life goes on, and another promising season looms a mere eight months off.

Zag79
03-16-2007, 02:56 PM
well said as always BZ. im proud of the guys, and the season being so long and tough this year even left me spent to the point of not being that upset afterwards, more proud than anything. hoops for the zags is over, but davids is open year round. ;)

BobZag
03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
well said as always BZ. im proud of the guys, and the season being so long and tough this year even left me spent to the point of not being that upset afterwards, more proud than anything. hoops for the zags is over, but davids is open year round. ;)

Hoops for the Zags will only take a little hiatus filled with pick-up games and individual workouts and plenty of camps. It'll be back before you know it.

David's, yes, definitely time for a get-together. :)

Just keep repeating, "Pargo, Bouldin, Downs," and we'll start feeling better real quick.