PDA

View Full Version : Polls Insight

ZagFanatic
01-13-2009, 09:28 AM
For those of you don't read CBS Sportsline, Parrish has a blog on there where weekly he does a "Polls Attack" piece. He goes through all the AP and coaches votes from the current week's polls and highlights voters who do some really inane stuff. It really goes to show how useless the polls are and how we shouldn't put a lot of stock into who is ranked where.

I'm pasting an excerpt from his story below (I'm not sure how to make the text show up in the blue box to indicate a story quote, so hopefully I do this correctly):

And now it's time for our weekly George Geise update, otherwise known as the "Curious Case of George Geise (and his handling of Xavier)": For those unfamiliar, check out last week's Poll Attacks, where I detailed how George (an AP voter from Montana) dropped Xavier from 12th to completely out of his Top 25 even though the Musketeers DID NOT lose in that particular week. Xavier fans no doubt let George know the error of his ways, and I'm happy to report he is now ranking Xavier 17th, which means Sean Miller's team moved up at least nine places (depending on how far they were off of George's ballot) after victories over Saint Louis and Fordham, but they have still somehow dropped five spots over the past two weeks despite a 4-0 record in that span.

Confused?

Join the club!

But that's not even the worst of it.

Would you believe that George had Boston College ranked 25th last week, and that he moved the Eagles up to 19th this week following losses to Harvard and Miami? Yes, that really happened. Also, last week, George did not have West Virginia ranked at all. But then the Mountaineers went out and lost to Connecticut and Marquette, so, naturally, they broke into George's ballot at No. 25. And finally, there's Gonzaga, which was 16th on George's ballot last week. The Zags then beat Tennessee and Portland, but George clearly was not impressed, because he dropped Mark Few's team completely off his ballot while leaving Tennessee at No. 16.

My God.

malmer7
01-13-2009, 09:37 AM
wow - that's enough to make you want to pull your hair out, sounds a lot like these baseball hall of fame voters we've been hearing so much about this week. thanks for the lead on this article! this will definitely be something worth checking in on from time to time for entertainment value!

krozman
01-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Honestly the only "poll" i actutally take seriously is Lunardi's bracketology projections and even then you can't take it TOO seriously. Not for matchups, but for seeding. Polling is just "one of those things."

LongIslandZagFan
01-13-2009, 10:12 AM
If you want to look at the stupidity yourself check out... http://pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollstalker.php and run a report and look at the polls for the guys on the extreme. Some have total headscratchers like losing teams in the top 25. All the more reason to not give a rat's behind about the polls... they all stink.

NotoriousZ
01-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Wow, I didn't know it was that bad. Why can't the AP kick out these guys who don't have a clue about what they're doing? Wouldn't they want their polls to mean something?

They need a review board to replace these people who need help brushing their teeth (if they have any) in the morning.

There's nothing you can do about the coaches poll, which is worse in IMO, but damn, how can the AP let that happen?

ZagFanatic
01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I imagine instead of it being viewed as a priviledge (and big responsibility) to vote in these polls, that in some newspaper offices the scenario is more like: "Hey, we need to have a voter for these college basketball polls. Does anyone here watch college basketball at all? No? Ok, well I'm sure we're all busy, so we'll give it to Joe in the Subscriptions Dept. to fill out. He graduated from college a couple years ago, so must be up on this stuff."

UberZagFan
01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Bryan Strickland from The Herald-Sun of Durham must be a great guy. Someone should invite him to join this board.

zag70
01-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know where we can get access to the espn ballots submitted by the coaches. It use to be available through USA Today but I have not been able to locate a current source. Randy Bennett is the WCC rep in the poll. It should be most interesting!