PDA

View Full Version : My ideal 2009/10 schedule

CDC84
01-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Here are 8 games we know will happen:

1 - Maui Invitational Game 1 (Arizona, Chaminade, Colorado, Cincinnati, Maryland, Vandy, and Wisconsin)

2- Maui Invitational Game 2

3 - Maui Invitational Game 3

4 - Oklahoma (Spokane Arena)

5 - Washington State

6 - at Illinois (Chicago?)

7- at Memphis

8 - Battle In Seattle game (probably a good BCS team)

Stop!

All other games should be played at K2. No more road games, and no more neutral floor games. Maybe bring in St. Joe's, but the rest of the opponents GU brings in should be Big Sky/Big West type teams.

Whether or not Austin Daye returns, the Zags are going to have a ton of newcomers, and it will take some time for them to develop as a team. It is imperative that they schedule prudently. If they schedule prudently, I think the team next season has a chance to be better than some people feel. But they cannot lineup a murderer's row sked with loads of travel, etc. Traveling to Maui, Illinois and Memphis is enough....

former1dog
01-12-2009, 11:05 AM
If they schedule prudently, I think the team next season has a chance to be better than some people feel. But they cannot lineup a murderer's row sked with loads of travel, etc.

Maybe I've got my zag colored glasses on but I honestly think we'll have a damn good team next year. No predictions from me at this point, but I think we'll be good.

everybodycougsit
01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I thought the BIS opponent was already known?

Rubbadub
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Thank goodness CDC isn't in charge of scheduling...

CDC84
01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
The BIS team is not known.

BobZag
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Thank goodness CDC isn't in charge of scheduling...

He wouldn't have the team flying all over, including three trips to EST zone and no home game with students from November 18 to January 15 (one semi-full section doesn't count), and only two home games in two months. I bet he wouldn't do that.

Zaga86
01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
oklahoma in the arena is confirmed?

BobZag
01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
oklahoma in the arena is confirmed?

It's the return game from last season, yes.

TacomaZAG
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
on this. While I'm a big fan of the "anyone, anytime, anywhere" mentality, over the past few years it has gotten out of hand. Due to our continued success and the relative isolation of Spokane, we can't and won't get OOC games in K2 against elite competition. However, good regional teams are available for home/home games and this should be utilized. Other than the pre-season tournaments and select (very select) "neutral" court games like the BIS and Duke in MSG, we should no longer agree to go to places like Arizona, Tennessee, Georgia, UCONN, Utah, etc. unless they agree to a return game in K2 (OK, maybe Spokane Arena like Memphis) or they are our opponent in the BIS.

As an example, this years OOC schedule at K2 and Spokane Arena is just horrible. Other than Memphis at the Arena, the OOC home schedule is a joke, although PSU might disagree. It gets a little better next year because WSU visits K2, but we are at Memphis next year so that is almost a push.

We will never get good home/home games unless and until we demand them.

That's my 2 cents........

Go ZAGS

ZagNative
01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Anyone know if there was any deal for a return game from Arizona, maybe at the B.I.S.?

malmer7
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
what would we do with the zag jet if we didn't travel??
i say schedule as we always have - we'll be plenty tough next year.

CDC84
01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I am not aware of a return game for Arizona. That may have been a one off game.

I am in favor of tougher scheduling when GU has a veteran team, but the team next year absolutely cannot handle the kind of sked that this year's team is facing. If the schedulers go beyond what I have outlined, they stand a very good chance of psychologically wrecking the team and putting it in jeopardy of missing the NCAA tournament. I'm serious. They have too many new faces and too much youth. The kids need more home games and more games against Big Sky/Big West type competition. The 8 games that we know will occur already make up what will be one of the toughest non-league skeds in the country next year.

DixieZag
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I yelled Stop! about 2/3 down your schedule. Daye may well be back (more likely than not) and we could be very very tough, but we have to replace our quarterback, we are always quick to point out Pargo's mistakes, but his upside is way way way higher than his downside. Meech is looking good in his grooming process but, I haven't seen him knock a shot down yet and we certainly don't want our primary ball handler having a below 60% free throw average.

I will go back to something I said a few weeks ago, now long lost in these darn intertubes, there are quality wins out west, we don't have to go all the way to Knoxville, Utah State is a quality program, Wyoming is usually pretty good, why don't we knock on Oregon State's door, or the human highlighters, U of Oregon themselves, Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, Stanford, Cal, these teams are more likely to play on campus and we can do the one and ones. Even Boise State can be good from time to time. We should go east once a year, play a VERY high profile game, in NY preferably, against an ACC school (we do fine against them). How about UCLA as our BIS game, with a return to the Staples Center? Maybe I am dreaming. Forget it, no wonder Few has said that scheduling has replaced recruiting as the toughest part of the job.

Lets leave scheduling to CDC, I usually like what he has to say.

gamagin
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
keeps cropping up.

I'm not against whatever might constitute overload, but really ,we could have won those games we lost and we did win the OSC, so do we blame travel when we lose and not credit it when we win ?

Also, if anyone worried about travel has ever flown private charter, you would understand: you don't even have to change the time on your watch. everything except the game (i.e. the clock in your head) need not get in the way. You can have your breakfast at 4 p.m. and you can eat a steak at 6 a.m. according to your clock, if needs be.

the only thing you have to "worry" about is playing the game. but so does the other team.

were we traveling commercial and subject to all the homeland security delays and delays in general like the unwashed masses, I'd look at this differently, fwiw. But as it stands, I just don't think this theory holds water.

theirishzag03
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree this year's schedule has been brutal, but in the long run it should benefit us!

Playing (Big Sky) PSU at home this year did us NO good. I say stick with similar competition, but do try and get more home games. It is hard to have a "Anybody, Anywhere, Anytime" attitude if we start having conditions on it.
I say use the jet-

Next year's team will be fine! Demetri is getting very valuable time in very hostile environments in front of lots of fans (OSC, IND, WSU, UT, UA, UConn)

He will be the PG, Matt will be a senior, Steven a junior and they will be handling the ball and bring confidence, experience, and control. If Austin comes back, we will have another experienced player. Robert and Will also have experience. Sam, Manny, and Elias seem to be very mature and if by some miracle we do get Bol I have no worries about any of their savy. I think we will have a great balance of youth and experience next year and the youth coming in will have played in some big games in HS.

Possible line-up--

Goodson-
Bouldin-
Gray-
Sacre-
Daye-

Polling, Gibbs, Foster, Arop, Dower, Harris, Bol (King) Kong=plenty of time to get the young guys ready. This could be one heck of a team!

Plus- I see the WCC being a little down next year- SC-loses Bryant, St Mary's- loses O'Leary, Simpson, and poss. Mills, USD loses-BJ and Pomare, USF loses-Quezada, and Pepperdine and Loyola have a lot of work to do. Zags will miss Josh, Jeremy, Micah and Ira, BUT with Bouldin, Gray and Daye back it still gives GU the best core group of returning players.

BobZag
01-12-2009, 02:50 PM
1. Idaho
2. UC-Irvine
3. Colorado (Maui)
4. Wisconsin (Maui)
5. Vanderbilt (Maui)
6. EWU
7. WSU
8. PSU
9. @Illinois
10. Notre Dame (BiS hypothetical)
11. St. Joe's
12. Montana
13. Oklahoma
14. San Diego State
15. @Memphis

:)

theirishzag03
01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Does the Maui look a bit weak this year to you??? Do your three games figure us winning??? I have not looked at the bracket. This year the Maui had UNC Notre Dame, etc. Maybe a better word is "boring" which to me Wisconsin is the epitome of boring, granted they win but it's like a trip to the dentist watching them at times. Either way looks like a winnable tourney for the Zags!

Like the rest, seems like a good blend of neutral, home and away. PSU I assume is Portland not Penn:)
Would also assume Blake will be long gone! Duh, right! or that would be a bigtime game with national attention. looks like 13-1, 14-0 heading into Memphis, which I think they will have a revenge factor from the beating we will give them this year.

Curious who you have us playing following a potential "UConn" type game @ Memphis. If Tyreke Evans hits some crazy 3pointer to beat us, I would hate to come home and have to play say "UC-Riverside" and a slighted-motivated Larry Gurganeous while we were recovering from heartbreak hangover in Memphis.

Rubbadub
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
He wouldn't have the team flying all over, including three trips to EST zone and no home game with students from November 18 to January 15 (one semi-full section doesn't count), and only two home games in two months. I bet he wouldn't do that.

That travel-heavy schedule is what usually gets us a good seed in March and will somewhat negate our bad luck streak. Furthermore, it increases our national renown and gets GU on ESPN. If Price didn't hit that circus shot, we'd not have imploded and this thread probably wouldn't be necessary...then again, I am a biased east coast fan who likes to be able to see games every now and then. :)

theirishzag03
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
After 15 games it looks like WCC time, so we avoid any hangover affect. No worries about a motivated LG and UC-Riverside. I am curious and anxious to root for Larry G.

TokyoZag
01-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Mr Krause,

Please, please make every opponent during finals week and christmas break a cupcake! That's all I want.

Otherwise, schedule as usual!

gum797
01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=CDC84;337675]I am in favor of tougher scheduling when GU has a veteran team, but the team next year absolutely cannot handle the kind of sked that this year's team is facing. QUOTE]

I agree 100% with CDC. This quote is a good point, but I would go even a step further and say this year's team is having a very difficult job handling the schedule right now. If this team struggled during that stretch of tough games, how would a young team fare???? I say, probably not very well. The schedule for next year already has plenty of marquee games. I agree...STOP there

229SintoZag
01-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Who is coming to K2 for sure next year?

We were all initially told both Illinois and Oklahoma would be K2 games. Now Oklahoma has mysteriously moved downtown to the Arena, and CDC's suggestion of Chicago for Illinois (a neutral site) suggests a bilateral neutral site for the return game out here. I do not want neutral sites. Neutral sites are for Super Bowls and peace treaty negotiations. They have no place in college hoops.

Gonzaga's schedule is beginning to become a joke and if the athletic department continues to abuse the season ticket holders and take them for granted there will eventually be a mutiny.

Other than WSU--who is coming to K2? And how many games will be played against top 150 RPI teams in K2 between the start of the season and the start of WCC play?

Tennessee was great, but not a fair deal. We played them in Seattle, but have to play them on their home floor on campus. Not cool.

Until we start demanding the respect we deserve, other teams will not give us the respect we deserve in scheduling. I am in favor of a year or two of downgrading our schedule and building a record of concretely turning down good teams who won't schedule us at home as a way of sending a message. Because as it stands now, the opposite is the case: any decent school we approach with an offer to do a couple of games will look at our recent scheduling history and determine (quite accurately, I might add) that we will agree to a neutral/home or a neutral/neutral or (in Arizona's case) a "home" neutral game with no return whatsoever. Such schools have no reason to think they need to play us at K2 to get the return game in their neck of the woods. We need to start giving them a reason to think about it. My bet is if we lay down the law a bit on this issue, we will still get good deals and good home and homes, because of the strength of the Gonzaga brand, the reliability of Gonzaga being a top program and a "good loss" or "good win" no matter what, and the guaranteed exposure any such game will get (many on ESPN nationally, others at least throughout the West and apparently in the Pittsburgh market, :))

The first place we should start is Memphis. It's been a fun series, but this game should be in K2 if the series continues--period.

theirishzag03
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
when they were building the MAC they should have allowed for more than 6,000 seats???? This is one BIG reason Memphis, Oklahoma, Georgia, and other games vs. big (BCS) schools will continue to be played in the Arena. It is also an absolute FACT there are more than 6,000 minus student and faculty fans that want to see a Zags game.

I think it would do the program a huge favor to have more games in the Arena-Just as suggested above, a lack of "home" games will lead to a mutiny or atleast a complaint from season ticket holders. I say grow the fan base, just like they are doing with the camps for young kids and host more games in the Pre-WCC schedule at the Arena. 2-3 games vs big name schools at the Arena and the regular 2-3 cupcakes, exibitions, Midnite Madness, and WCC games at K2 is a fair balance and will keep the program connected to its loyal fans.

Reborn
01-12-2009, 04:36 PM
I agree pretty much with what CDC is saying. First, the schedule that CDC presents is very good. There is Illinois who I think is a top 10 team next year and for sure top 20. We go there so that is plenty tough. We go to Memphis who will also be a top 20 team next near (if not higher). That's two top 20 teams on the road. Enough!!!! Is Enought!!! Maui is on a neutral site but definately traveling a ways. There is Maryland, Arizona, Cincinnati, Vandy, and more. Plenty of qualilty opponents there. Arizona could be a top 20 team depending who comes back, and I believe Maryland will be.

I think we need a good Big East team and a good SEC team to play. I love the syle of both conferences, and the differences between the two really do prepare us for conference. I say we shop these two conferences until we find someone who will come to K2 and play us there. Someone like Virginia, Virginia Tech....Boston College, Marquette, Xavier, Georgetown. Maybe go lower like Villanova, Providence. I'd love a game against Arkansas. I love that team, and they have that sharp-shooting recruit Gonzaga was after so hard. I would possibly look into setting up a home and home with BYU. We will still need to play the best teams we can but we need more at home.

I would change our saying from, "we will play anyone, anytime, anywhere." To, "we will play anyone, anytime, in a home and home set up." I believe we need a team better than Arizona for the BIS. Arizona is in the Pac 10 and plays in Seattle every year. They will not be a good draw for the BIS. I hope we bring in one of the top teams from the Big East, Big 12 or SEC. Pittsburg would be great (they came out two years ago to the UW). Maybe Notre Dame or Marquette? Or how about Texas? I would love to play them in the BIS. We need the best team possible.

Angelo Roncalli
01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I would change our saying from, "we will play anyone, anytime, anywhere." To, "we will play anyone, anytime, in a home and home set up."

You'll have lots of low major and mid-major schools lining up for that deal.

NorthWestZag
01-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I think playing a national schedule on the big stage helps us with recruiting a lot. If we scheduled our non-league like most other WCC schools do, we would be getting recruits like most other WCC schools.

My problem with this years schedule was not that we played too many good teams, but it was too many games away from the Kennel. In the non-league we played three in Orlando, then went to Indy, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Pullman and Knoxville. That is too many games away from K2.

So as far as next year, we are only committed to play the three in Maui plus travel to Chicago and Memphis. I know there have been talks about doing a home-and-home with Notre Dame and Marquette and I think we should do both of those. Because we should try to set ourselves up every year to have like 2-3 high profile teams come into the Kennel during OOC. During Morrison's last year I think we got WSU, St. Joe's, and Stanford. We have kind of gone away from that with really no big name teams coming to MAC this year. Next year my dream schedule would be something like...

1. EWU
2. Idaho
3. Maui Game #1 (Chaminade)
4. Maui Game #2 (Cincinnati)
5. Maui Game #3 (Wisconsin)
6. UC Riverside
7. @ Washington (still hoping we play them again)
8. Washington State
9. Sacramento State
10. @ Illinois [Chicago]
11. @ Marquette
12. Montana State
13. Georgetown [Battle in Seattle]
14. Oklahoma (Spokane Arena)
15. Notre Dame (in the Kennel AFTER students get back)
16. @ Memphis (during WCC play)

That gives us 2 high profile teams in the Kennel, only 4 out of state road trips that are well spaced, 2 good teams at the Key and SVMA, plus return games in the Kennel from UW and Marquette the following year. Also 7 games in the Kennel during OOC compared to the 5 this year.

theirishzag03
01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
It surely helps recruiting-and next years team is stacked! Mal didn't even mention Grant Gibbs who will be a Blake Stepp type and is getting a front row seat this year while he heals. Throw in Elias Harris too. All of the starters will have experience and by the end of the season Demetri will be just like a sophomore. He has hardly seemed intimidated by any situation. Who picks fights with Chism? Bouldin, Gray, Sacre, and Daye give the Zags plenty of experience to blend with an awesome recruiting class and 2 red-shirts. Lots of teams will wish they were bringing back 3 All conference players and a total of 7 players. Not to mention what should be rated a top 15-20 recruiting class. We may not have the "Fab-Five" coming in, but freshmen are surely capable of making significant contributions (Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, Carmelo Anthony, Greg Oden, Derek Rose) and capable of playing a tough schedule.

snebzag
01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Maybe back off a little. Just don't go Romar on us. (Fl. International, Rocco School of Typewriter repair, Clevland State...) I disliked the length of time in between games early, from the travel, thought they got stale. Play a lot, play often. Two East, Two west. I know it is not easy to schedule. Zags do seem to play their best against the best. More Pac-10 would be nice.

ZagNative
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Maybe back off a little. Just don't go Romar on us. (Fl. International, Rocco School of Typewriter repair, Clevland State...):D

zagzilla
01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Why can't we get a game from the Dux or Beavos? We haven't played them this century which is odd.

I recall last year some wag writing story about how everybody hates us and how we were arrogant so nobody wanted to play us. Don't recall the publication but seemed all gossipy to my ears.

Other than the self-serving excuses like "we are too dangerous", is there any other structural barriers to getting another Pac-10 game per year-and I don't mean the Dawgs.

Also agree that getting a good WAC team each year vs. another road trip to play Indiana in Bloomingtoin or some such is desireable.

Reborn
01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I need to clarify my last post somewhat. I apologize for the lack of clarity. I would not suggest that we schedule all our OOC games with mid majors or low majors. It would not serve are goals at all, neither to prepare us for league play, get us a decent seed in the NCAA tournament, and finally help us recruit at the highest level. I was thinking that after schedule two top 20 teams, and a couple say top 50 teams, both near home and away, that we end up making sure we schedule home and home with high mid-major or low majors.

BALANCE IS NOW the code word.:D

NotoriousZ
01-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Personally, I would like the Rocco School of Typewriter Repair matchup. After that, setting up more home at homes would be ideal. More Pac 10 matchups (even UW, but we all know they're chicken****). Big 10 games are boring, but they're all winnable. It would be great to generate more action with the ACC and Big East. Home at homes, home at homes, home at homes. It shouldn't be that hard, we're an elite team. If we have to play in the Spokane Arena, that's fine if we're also not on the other team's home court. Keep scheduling tough, but keep it fair.

CDC84
01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
There is going to be a very large adjustment period for Gonzaga next year because they will be bringing in 6-7 newcomers....I don't care who is returning. And guys like Gibbs and Poling are newcomers...they don't have a lick of D-1 playing experience. And if GU has to shut down Sacre, well, he doesn't have much D-1 playing experience, and he will have been away from organized ball for a year.

Most of those newcomers are going to see good minutes. In fact, I think all of them need minutes because Gonzaga needs to be looking beyond just the 2009/10 season next year. Next season is going to be the type of year where Few is going to have to leave his young pups in, even if they make mistakes. It's going to be a baptism by fire to some degree.

NotoriousZ
01-13-2009, 06:41 PM
I see where you're coming from CDC, but I want to make the tourney next year without having to win the WCC. Last year, Arizona got into the tourney with a 19-14 record. 14 losses. But they had the toughest schedule in the country. As long as the committee is rewarding those who challenge themselves, I'm for the tougher schedule. I don't think losing to quality opponents hurts us as much as if were only to get one or two "good wins" on the season. Plus, I don't think it would psychologically wreck our team, even if they're a young squad. I'm not saying every opponent needs to be ranked, but playing quality opposition only makes you better in the end, win or lose.

That's my two cents. Go Zags!

CTDeSmetZagAlum
01-13-2009, 09:10 PM
we are 14 games into this season... about half way. let's stop worrying about next year and what happens. how about concentrating of chi on the present moment and promote this year's team rather then the woulda, coulda, shoulda. its too lofty to think about and in addition expectations will be blown way out of proportion.

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." - Buddha

speed21
01-16-2009, 07:17 AM
I love to see a series started with Minnesota now that Sam Dower is a Zag! And plus I live in Minnesota and I would love to see my two favorite teams play!!

dawgfather11
01-17-2009, 10:20 AM
I really feel bad for your season ticket holders, although you guy's get to play top teams, you watch those from the comfort of your home (unless you travel with the team). I'm really not sure why they made mac court so small? it's a great arena but doesn't hold enough people to draw the big time games in.