PDA

View Full Version : Cbs

Birddog
03-16-2007, 06:36 AM
I have Meg March Madness on DirecTV, and it is super. I really hate it when the local station gets the CBS feed and blocks it out on my dish. Last night I had to suffer when CBS cut away to another game. Worse yet are all those promo's they do for upcoming shows. When you get the feed on the dish, they don't have all that promo crap. When they cut away, I was able to watch the feed on the channel that has the "game mix" though, but it is tiny (1/4 screen), and they block out the audio, not that I wanted to hear Brown and Elmore that much.

Birddog

brasszag
03-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Elmore was sounding like he's spend the day drinking his meals.

It was an unexceptionally called game.

sullyzag66
03-16-2007, 10:52 AM
I was wondering if getting Mega MM on D* would avoid all those cutaways. Guess not. CBS' coverage is really messed up. Right now we're supposed to be getting the ND/Winthrop game, but they're showing the last 60 seconds of a 15 point game between Memphis and N. Texas. Finally got the feed. Arena looks not so full.

CDC84
03-16-2007, 11:01 AM
They never cut away from the 3 games that are on the Mega March Madness channels. You can see the screen shift as if they are trying to cut away, but then it goes back. They only cut away from the game that is being shown on your local CBS affiliate.

If they cut away from the game on your local CBS channel, immediately go to the MMM channels and go to the channel that is blacked out. Within a minute or two, you will see the game they cut away from on your local channel.

Birddog
03-16-2007, 11:22 AM
f they cut away from the game on your local CBS channel, immediately go to the MMM channels and go to the channel that is blacked out. Within a minute or two, you will see the game they cut away from on your local channel.

That didn't work for me last night. I had to watch on one of the "mix" channels. I tried several times. It's still crummy that CBS controls this with such an ironfist.

Sully, perhaps I wasn't clear. It's only when the local CBS affiliate carries the game that you have put up with the ads, promos and cutaways because if it is carried locally, MMM won't give you the feed on the dish.

Birddog

sullyzag66
03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I may consider it next year. I haven't done it previously because the Portland CBS local has three digital channels and they usually have two, sometimes three feeds from different locations and that has usually been enough for me.

TrueLiz
03-16-2007, 12:03 PM
The Gonzaga game was shown locally in Minneapolis where I was watching, and when they pulled away the first time, the March Madness channel did open it back up after a couple missed minutes. Last year when they pulled away during both Indiana & UCLA, the March Madness one never came on, so I was happy to see that it at least sort of improved, although they have missed opening up the blackout channel on multiple other games where the local CBS station has switched. It definitely beats not having it though.

Birddog
03-16-2007, 12:46 PM
They just did it again on the Winthrop feed. They cut away for most of the 2nd half and it did not reappear on my MMM.

Birddog

sonuvazag
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Did the idea of broadcasting all games on national channels and making more money on advertising ever occur to CBS?

HillBillyZag
03-16-2007, 02:07 PM
IMHO Brad Nessler & Jimmy Dykes. They love the game, let one know the whats/whys?, and are not too impressed with themselves. I am not sure if they are CBS or ESPN but they are good.

CDC84
03-16-2007, 02:23 PM
The GU/IU game appeared within 5 minutes on my MMM channel after the local CBS channel cut away from the game. You have to keep checking...it's a pain, I know. They need to be quicker with the switch. I watched most of the 2nd half on the MMM channel. You might want to contact the sports subscription dept at Direct TV if it never happened for you...that's a complaint they need to hear about. They should listen....I launched a major complaint earlier this year because they were not giving my local CBS affiliate enough bandwidth to make the picture quality decent on a non-HDTV television set. I was forced to buy basic cable to watch CBS games. That complaint went up the chain of command and the problem was fixed pretty fast.

TrueLiz
03-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Just to answer HillBillyZag, I know that Jimmy Dykes is ABC/ESPN. He was at LMU last year to announce the ABC game when Adam Morrison rattled off his 44 points.

Birddog
03-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks,CDC
I also like the combo of Dykes and Nessler, but not as much as Raftery and Lundquist Someone the other day said they actually liked Packer, saying that he offered insight to the game. While that is true, the probelm with Fudgie for example; is that if he says "Oh they should do this in this situation" and they don't do what he says, then he rips the coach or the player. He's a friggen egomaniac. You can tell rRaftery and Lundquist really like the game too.

Birddog