PDA

View Full Version : UW can beat the Zags... right now

ambition
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Right now, do you think the zags can beat UW

I am doubtful at this point the zags could pull it off.

Any thoughts?

bartruff1
01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Of course they can...anyone CAN beat anyone on a given night...didn't BC just beat NC at NC and then lose to Harvard ??? The likely winner would depend on where they played...at a neutral site the Zags would likely be favored by 5 or less... "thats why they play the game(s) " Anything else is just opinion.

ambition
01-09-2009, 04:21 PM
BC losing to Harvard was much worse than the Zags losing to PSU...
I understand that anyone can beat anyone, this is obvious.
The real argument here is looking at the match ups and the mentality of each of these two teams. UW plays hard, we sometimes do.

Angelo Roncalli
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
They can't beat the Zags "right now."

They're not playing "right now," or any time in the foreseeable future.

So, at best, this thread will be a series of theoretical posts, which won't mean anything. The two teams will not be playing because a petulant Lorenzo Romar took his ball and went home.

mgadfly
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
UW: 23rd in efficiency #s over at ken pom dot com after playing the 167th toughest non-conference schedule

GU: 8th in efficiency numbers after playing the 14th toughest non-conference schedule.

Offense:
GU: 16th most efficient, 49th best eFG%, 6th best in avoiding turnovers, 67th best at shooting 3's, 8th best at avoiding steals.

UW: 43rd most efficient, 134th best eFG%, 2nd best at getting offensive rebounds, 92nd best at getting to the line but only 64% FT shooting, 43rd best avoiding blocks

Defense:
GU: 10th most efficient, 23rd best eFG%, 101st against 3's, and 14th against 2pt FG attempts, 37th best at blocks with weakness being they don't generate enough turnovers.

UW: 21st most efficient, 77th eFG%, 39th at avoiding opponents offensive rebounds,

Considering the SOS difference and the superior statistics GU has put up they'd probably win at a neutral location or in Spokane. The game would be interesting in that GU's weakness is on the glass and that is UW's strength. In one game, who knows, but statistically GU's superior ball control and shooting ability would win out over the extra opportunities UW would generate on the glass.

HOOTER
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I guess we can only speculate because UW, by their own choice, won't be playing Gonzaga. I'd have to go with the Zags on this one strictly due to UW's refusal to play them anymore. That, and the fact that I think the Zags are a better team, of course.

mgadfly
01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
So, at best, this thread will be a series of theoretical posts, which won't mean anything.

Although I agree, what is the point of a message board, which by definition is a waste of time since no games are being played, widgets created, or any legitimate other than the occasional series of theoretical posts and informational posts (and how boring would it be if we limited our posts to: "GU won." instead of throwing out our opinions from time to time?).

NotoriousZ
01-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have that matchup in the tourney this year? That probably won't happen because:
(1) UW needs to make the tourney (I'd give them a 55% chance at this point)
(2) They need to be seeded in the same region (no way is UW a Final Four team)

kylasdad
01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Ambition said:

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I bet the Huskies football team could beat the zags intramural champs...maybe! Actually, I don't know. Probably be a good game.

It wouldn't be a question that was unanswerable if Romar and company weren't cowards.

bartruff1
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
UW: 23rd in efficiency #s over at ken pom dot com after playing the 167th toughest non-conference schedule

GU: 8th in efficiency numbers after playing the 14th toughest non-conference schedule.

Offense:
GU: 16th most efficient, 49th best eFG%, 6th best in avoiding turnovers, 67th best at shooting 3's, 8th best at avoiding steals.

UW: 43rd most efficient, 134th best eFG%, 2nd best at getting offensive rebounds, 92nd best at getting to the line but only 64% FT shooting, 43rd best avoiding blocks

Defense:
GU: 10th most efficient, 23rd best eFG%, 101st against 3's, and 14th against 2pt FG attempts, 37th best at blocks with weakness being they don't generate enough turnovers.

UW: 21st most efficient, 77th eFG%, 39th at avoiding opponents offensive rebounds,

Considering the SOS difference and the superior statistics GU has put up they'd probably win at a neutral location or in Spokane. The game would be interesting in that GU's weakness is on the glass and that is UW's strength. In one game, who knows, but statistically GU's superior ball control and shooting ability would win out over the extra opportunities UW would generate on the glass. Can you answer BZ's similar question about Portland....I suspect the Zags will beat them in the K2...at Portland...not so much...

RenoZag
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Right now, do you think the zags can beat UW

I am doubtful at this point the zags could pull it off.

Any thoughts?

Yes. GU can beat UW. Like the red-headed stepsister of a rented coed from Pullman. . .

Go ahead and have your doubts.

P.S. Huck the Fuskies.

P.S.S. Does "ambition" refer to a desire to stir up as much B.S. as possible ?

ambition
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Of coourse this is just a speculation! wow i am surprised that so many people have taken this way too seriously...what a joke, come on this is just a blog there is no reason to get tough on the blog!

stop looking at the stats, like i said before this is dealing with hard play and down low play, all i am saying is without Sacre, who guards Brockman and MBA?

Angelo did you have to go that far!

kitzbuel
01-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Don't be a troll.

hondo46
01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
In order to beat any team you must first have the courage to play that team.
Huskys don't, therefore can't.

ambition
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I love this! Who would stop Brockman?
Im amazed how mad people get at such a speculation! O well I love it

saintzag
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Right on!!!

TerpZag
01-09-2009, 06:33 PM
In order to beat any team you must first have the courage to play that team.
Huskys don't, therefore can't.

QFT

MississppiZag
01-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Who would stop Daye, Bouldin, or Gray? Play a 2-3 zone. Huskies are a worse shooting team than the Vols. And please save the Overton and Thomas talk. They are out of control 75% of the time. Brockman is the only player that is consistent. Watched the Stanford game and by my observations the guards were horrific. Pondexter(sp?) is a waste of talent. But, anyone can win one game. The thread is somewhat(or entirely) pointless do to it certain circumstances).

Hopefully that provides a solid answer, ambition. Re-read one of your posts. And, seriously? Who is going to stop MBA? Come on now.

ambition
01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
who cares if it is pointless??? Just cause it is a fantasy game doesnt mean it isnt worth talking about. Thomas is ranked as one of the best pg in the country>? and you dont think pargo lately is turning the ball over? Come on, harsh thoughts towards other teams... IMO PSU had worthless guards, but they beat us? So why is this such a bad topic when the Zags lost to PSU and the Huskies beat them?

The boards would be a problem for the zags I believe.

Im upset Romar didnt continue the game against the Zags

MississppiZag
01-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Show me where he is rated as one of the nation's best guards. Pargo is in the top 10 in every list(sportsillustrated, nbadraft.net, rivals, etc.), just about. Never hear Thomas mentioned unless in this discussion. Bouldin and Gray are light years better in every category, besides speed.

Also, the PSU guards could shoot. Not exactly a strong point for the Huskies. Also, I love Brockman. But we held Thabeet to 9 pts and Adrien to 8, while Heytvelt had 15 and Daye had 13. I consider UConn the best front court in the country.

theirishzag03
01-09-2009, 07:27 PM
OK, so the Huskies will claim THEY beat PSU and we lost. That was arguably our worst effort in years. WAIT, no arguement , it WAS!

But as a few have pointed out, the Huskies are an out of control group and THEY would not have won the OSC, or won at UT after being down by 15, and UConn would have destroyed them.

Who would stop Brockman? Or Bryan-Amaning??? Same guys that stopped Tyler Smith and Wayne Chism. Who cares if Brockman got 19 boards if they lost, most of them would be Offensive one off bricks Pondexter and co. were throwing up. When Josh is motivated, see vs. Tyler Hansborough! Josh could shut down the 6-7 Brockman either way.

I also like the Zags BB team vs UW football. I can see Matt Bouldin hitting Ira Brown for a few TD's, and Demetri Goodson getting some tips from his brother and running wild! Foster could stand at MLB and cover the whole field, he may be able to stand behind the d-line and reach over and grab the Husky QB.

BSUBronco74
01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
they showed plenty of cojones and pulled it off thanks to The Beast and his 19 boards and his putback with 10 seconds left, although they still almost coughed it up 6 seconds later, allowing that full-court inbounds pass.

Let's see how they do against Cal this weekend. Montgomery has got something up his sleeve down there in Berserkely. Would love to be at Maples Pavilion when the Cal Bears show up for their visit against the Furd on January 17. That place will be rockin', and it will be a great game. I would bet that Monty gets a standing O when they introduce him, regardless of his current affliliation.

Back to the original question: Yes, the Zags could beat UW right now, but the converse is also true. It's a moot point, for the obvious reasons posted earlier in this thread.

WallaWallaZag
01-10-2009, 12:10 AM
ambition may be a troll...but i think the question is legit. uw has been playing better recently and we haven't. one good game against the vols is a step in the right direction, but it doesn't necessarily mean we've turned the corner. let's see what happens against portland first. in terms of the actual question, i would venture to say that if both teams played an average game on a neutral court, zags win 4 out of 6 games or 2/3 of the time, but that's just my opinion and i've only watched the huskies once this year, the most recent win against stanford.

ambition
01-10-2009, 12:42 AM
what the heck is a troll?

asoc
01-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Of coourse this is just a speculation! wow i am surprised that so many people have taken this way too seriously...what a joke, come on this is just a blog there is no reason to get tough on the blog!

stop looking at the stats, like i said before this is dealing with hard play and down low play, all i am saying is without Sacre, who guards Brockman and MBA?

Angelo did you have to go that far!

This isn't a blog. This is a message board. There is a difference.

I say GU beats UW @ UW right now.

Who guards Brockman? Josh does. With some help from Big Will. Even then, Gonzaga can beat UW with Brockman having a good game.

ambition
01-10-2009, 01:51 AM
depends on which gonzaga team shows up

zagnut52
01-10-2009, 03:14 AM
If the Huskies were on our schedule, there is little doubt the Zags would prevail.

GoZAGsMang
01-10-2009, 09:07 AM
If a mod reads this... is there any way to get more neg rep giving powers? this thread requires it.

When the huskie doggies quit acting like kitties we will find out. Until then, save the drama for your mama. Or go to the huskies board and tell I bleed purple that you want to be his friend.

Maybe for today we should worry about Portland who beat the Huskies in real life.

GoZAGsMang