PDA

View Full Version : Why no lasers and lights for intros?

kazzag
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I know we have some new lights and laser type lights for the Kennel this year. Why haven't they been used for home games? The only time I recall was for midnight madness, maybe I am getting to games late this year, but I don't recall seeing them. I understand not using fog or pyrotechnics in a small arena. Maybe our overhead lights take too long to come back on for the game. Ideas? I think it can be pretty intimidating for the visitors to have an NBA style intro for the home team, especially in the WCC.
Go Zags!
Kyle

ebayzagfan
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I hope we don't go to an "NBA-style" introduction at K-2. There's very little about the NBA that should be copied. I'm sure you noticed that Tennessee allows their players to enter the arena walking down the aisles amongst their fans. That seems to me to be an extension of Coach Pearl's ego ... the more limelight, the better in his mind. Let's keep it simple at Gonzaga ... prove it on the floor, the only place where it counts. Now if it's Laker girls you want, I might be able to get behind that idea! (No pun intended.)

Zag79
01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
i can live without the lasers, but the players coming down the line slapping hands with fans is pretty cool. the video played prior to tip every home game is super sweet might i add, great touch to kick off a game and get you pumped!

kazzag
01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
I agree, in no way do I want anything NBA associated with us. But to darken the gym and put some spot lights on the players could really pump things up enviornment wise.

NotoriousZ
01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
College hoops is where it's at! I haven't watched an entire NBA game since the Sonics fired Karl. Speaking Sonics, the one good thing about the loss of the Seattle Supersonics to Oklahoma: no more Squatch! That was the dumbest looking mascot of all time...except for the Red Sox's Green Monster - did anyone see his one and only appearance?

CDC84
01-09-2009, 01:25 PM
A lot of the light shows and over-the-top introductions weren't inherited from the NBA, but from UNLV during the Tark era. They were the first folks to do it.

Zagpower
01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I was told that most of that equipment used for Midnight Madness was rented just for that occasion.

DixieZag
01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
We are the Zags and not some NBA "look at me" "bling bling show", our last 3 minutes with the KC going and the music pumping is the best Sports experience I have ever had, a close second is a Texas home football game with the Video Screen of the Longhorns out in the pasture starting to stampede and ending with the football team coming out on the field.

SteeleMan
01-09-2009, 03:37 PM
A lot of the light shows and over-the-top introductions weren't inherited from the NBA, but from UNLV during the Tark era. They were the first folks to do it.

Interesting.

kazzag
01-09-2009, 03:40 PM
I was told that most of that equipment used for Midnight Madness was rented just for that occasion.

I guess I will have to check that out on Sat. Thanks.

gustudentmd
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
The lights at K2 (and used at the vast majority of arenas) need to cool before restriking and then take a while to come back to full brightness. If you've ever been to a Chiefs game it takes a while for the lights to come to full brightness and the ice looks a little funny for the beginning of the first period. The major arenas have shutter systems that are extremely pricey that just block the light to make the arena dark. Steeleman can vouch for me I'm one of the engineers who works in his department.

theirishzag03
01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
2 things---I think it would be funny to play the Chicago Bulls "Tunnell Walk" and actually introduced the 1991 Bulls team...From North Carolina ....Michael Jordan!!!! Might be funny to watch the expression on the visiting teams face!

But until Ashton Kutcher is in charge probably will not happen...

Second...I don't care what they play (lasers, lights , music) in the public arena, BUT I think they should watch Tim Tebow's "post" Mississippi loss speech before every game in the locker room!

jbslicer
01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I'd like to see 6000 Zag fans banging Cheer Stix at the SMC game.

zagzealot
01-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I can speak for a few season ticket holders - those lights at midnight madness were migraine inducing. The flashing, strobe, laser, etc...whatever they were, were enough to make you toss your cookies. If you were down lower near the floor it wasn't as bad. Mid way up and higher it was awful! To me, lights shouldn't be what intimidates - the opponent should. Let's not get into a Rocky vs Apollo Creed light show in order to produce some drama.

I do like the video and some kind of intro song like when they play T.I.'s Bring Em Out.

theirishzag03
01-09-2009, 11:15 PM
I like music and the video too. Still think the team needs to watch Tebow's speech ALOT!

Now that you mention it Zagzealot- I think after I got home from Midnight Madness and was watching ESPN highlights, as I closed my eyes to fall asleep the image of those lasers seemed to be etched permanently into my sight.