PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the ball with game on line?

DixieZag
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Seeing as how we have had many games recently come down to the last shot, and Few seems to have made a decision to take the ball away from Jeremy and give it too Matt, who has put up two shots that were not even close. So, I am asking all of us wannabe coaches, which current Zag do we want with the ball in his hands with 8 seconds to play and the game tied or we are down by 1,2,3,-- and I will lead off with

Steven Gray- who I think is our most mentally tough player, can create his own shot, shoot the three, or drive to the hole, and make the free throws if that is the result.

Any disagreement?

gozagswoohoo
01-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I think Gray will always be a solid choice...but I don't think Matt is ever going to be a bad choice either. Even though he missed that shot against Tennessee, I watched it again, did you see the pass fake he gave?? The Tennessee defender almost twisted his own head off, and Matt had a wide open look. And with more chances at those shots, Matt will become even more poised.

But again...can't go wrong with either, but I'd probably give it to Matt at this point. Downs would be my 2nd choice.

NotoriousZ
01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Jeremy can do it, or Matt, or Meech, or Steven, or Micah, and maybe Austin. For my money I'd still want Jeremy. You just watch what he does to Portland and you'll be back on the JP bandwagon.

Go Zags! (I get to go to the Portland game...whoohoo!)

KOzag08
01-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I still like Pargo or Bouldin. Both can create and get by somebody. This leaves the opportunity to kick out to Gray or Austin, or dump it to Josh inside after the defense collapses. The high Pick 'n Roll is always a great last second option because it's tough to defend, especially when you have a good shooting team and a big man that can stick a jumper.

cggonzaga
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Austin Daye, no question. 1) Whoever would be guarding him at the top of the key wouldn't stand a chance to stop his drive 2) He's the best offensive player on the court. He could drive, shoot the 3 or hit a pull up jumper. and 3) he's a great passer. If he got in trouble he has great vision to get the ball to an open player, not to mention he's 7' and sees over the top of about anyone on the court.

My second player would be Steven Gray. If he played with a little more confidence it would be a toss up with him and Austin. Matt would be my no. 3.

hockeyzag
01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
With Matt's new found confidence in his abilities, I'd have to go with him, but I'd be happy with Jeremy or Steven as well.

gozagswoohoo
01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Ya know...the more I think about it...I can't say that out of our top 7 guys, that there's not 1 guy that could take the last shot and it'd make me say "Why was HE shooting the last shot???" I'd take any of em...

DixieZag
01-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I love JP, recent troubles notwithstanding, but I have seen him make too many mistakes forcing it when it was up to him, ideally, I would love to see Steven get his chance, but believe me, during the UCONN game, I would do the exact same thing again and again, I thought it was right for Jeremy to have the ball and right to not call the timeout and right for him to drive, it just didn't play out with way we wanted.

I just think Steven is a little more creative, confident and brings more options, JP is going to the hole, period, Steven may take it halfway and pop a mid range jumper or head fake going and shoot the three. I love the way Steven is playing right now, and if he has the ball, that means that Matt is lurking and he seems to pop up in the right place at the right time a lot.

CDC84
01-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Even though Matt's shot at the end of regulation against Tennessee was way off, it should have been a basket due to goaltending. Also, if the goaltending had not happened, which certainly distracted the shot, maybe Matt's shot would've fallen closer to the hoop. I don't know if I would give up on Matt just yet when it comes to handling those end of game clock situations.

The highest percentage look that Gonzaga has in its playbook - outside of guys running off ball screens - is Austin Daye shooting a jumper from the elbow in the high post area. It's almost impossible to defend.

malmer7
01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
what's so dope is that we CAN give it to so many different players at the end of a game - should make us dangerous in the tourney. still, i like having it in bouldin's hand with 10 seconds left, dishing (to gray perhaps?), and then moving without the ball which he does so well. if his cut is successful, it's a layup for the winner, if it's not, i feel good about gray hoisting one up from just about anywhere...

DoggieDogpound
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
The highest percentage look that Gonzaga has in its playbook - outside of guys running off ball screens - is Austin Daye shooting a jumper from the elbow in the high post area. It's almost impossible to defend.

Austin is the guy I would pick, with Gray a close 2nd.

Ezag
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Give it to someone who you would never suspect, like Sorenson, hell he couldn't do any worse than what has already been done

jazzdelmar
01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Gray...largely cuz of his attitude.....Pargo shld be the choice cuz of his ability to drive and power past/thru a defender, but two things hold him back: his outside shot and his recent lack of confidence. Matt is the 3rd pick; he has butterfingers at time and can't shoot it quite like SG.......

gamagin
01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
takes the last shot. happens every time.

WallaWallaZag
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
austin is our most talented offensive player and is also our best 1-on-1 player to create his own shot...pargo is also a great 1-on-1 player but he doesn't have a good enough outside shot to be the guy in clutch situations. pargo is incredible at taking it to the rim, but in end of half or end of game situations, everyone in the building knows what he is going to try to do, so the defense collapses and he tends to turn it over. i have yet to see pargo drive and set up another player for a shot in that situation as well, which would seem to be available. also, the reality is, the refs aren't as likely to make a foul call in those situations if it's not blatantly obvious, so you get a no call when normally you might get a whistle.

i wouldn't give up on bouldin yet, as both times against UT he ended up with a decent look close to the basket, just didn't finish...can live with that better than pargo driving into a crowd or jacking up a 30 footer.

jpwils
01-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Would like to see Austin set pick for Gray and then pick n pop like Pendo used to do.

Josh is also pretty solid at this with Matt.

Maybe we can do even more of this-eliminating some turnovers.

Not at end of game but Will seems to set picks pretty effectively.

former1dog
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Considering that I'm out of college eligibility, I'm going to have to vote for whomever is open on a designed play with at least 3 options.

Enough of this clear out and let one guy make a play nonsense. Lets have some confidence in teamwork.

NotoriousZ
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
...I'd want in Jeremy's hands and see this scenario: Josh sets a screen for JP at the top of the Key, JP drives the lane or dishes to Gray/Bouldin/Austin/Micah for the open jump shot. If Jeremy has an open lane he should take it as far as he can (hopefuly resulting in a layup or dunk) or he could pass it in the lane to Josh/Austin/Micah or dish it outside to Gray or whoever is open out there.

Despite the past month, JP going to the hoop is our best option.

whatazag
01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
We should think about getting it to the open guy when the game is on the line. I am not sure if it by design, but there is never a pass at the end of the half or game, always just Pargo (or Bouldin in the last game) trying to take it into traffic. I would like to see a pass to Daye or Heytvelt for an actual high percentage shot inside, and if nothing is there, they kick it back out to Gray.

HillBillyZag
01-09-2009, 11:40 AM
As f1d put, I go to "WHOMEVER IS OPEN". There are a good half dozen clutch guys on this club.

bigparb
01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Austin Daye.....NO QUESTION.

Austin is a matchup nightmare, and without a doubt our most creative finisher around the basket (ok....he and pargo might be tied there)!!!

Put someone big on him and he'll take it to the rim and score or get fouled. Put someone small on him and he can shoot over the top and get as clean a look as anyone.

Beside, I've got a feeling that Austin LIVES for these type of situations and is dying for Few to give him the chance...

Gray is a close second for me.....and Bouldin showed he could get a good shot against Tennessee's Uber-athletes in a one on one situation(I was concerned about this), so even though he failed (let's not even mention the blatant goaltending) he proved that he's capable, though I didn't like the shot he got at the end of the 1st half.....

Pargo #4 , then goodson 5th.....thats it......Downs unfortunately doesn't handle the ball well enough to create his own shot....

ebayzagfan
01-09-2009, 12:12 PM
With apologies to non-baseball fans (and anyone born after 1970), I'm reminded of the famous quote referring to the old Milwaukee Braves pitching twosome that could dominate a World Series: "Spahn and Sain and a day of rain". My rhymin' pick for last shot (assuming they aren't completely bottled up)is: "Gray or Daye will make them pay."

Zag79
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I still like Pargo or Bouldin. Both can create and get by somebody. This leaves the opportunity to kick out to Gray or Austin, or dump it to Josh inside after the defense collapses.

my thoughts exactly. if we need 1 or 2 points i like pargo driving, just sooner is all i see he needs to do. if we need a 3, gray is my choice. but in reality im with anyone who said "whoevers open". this team has a bunch of guys capable of hitting a game winning shot, going to one guy over and over makes it too easy to stop. (another reason i think few went to matt more so than pargo being ineffective)

UberZagFan
01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Daye for all the reasons stated by cggonzaga.

As for teamwork or "whoever is open" theory, name the last time GU ran a "play" to close out a half or the game? Better yet, last time they ran a "play" at the end of the game when tied or down by 1 or 2? Just remind Uber please.

former1dog
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
As for teamwork or "whoever is open" theory, name the last time GU ran a "play" to close out a half or the game? Better yet, last time they ran a "play" at the end of the game when tied or down by 1 or 2? Just remind Uber please.

That would probably be the last time they won on a last second shot... PMAC and Errol Knight seem to come to mind as answers.

chirguy
01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Jeremy is a great player, but he lacks what Jerry West had in spades. I'm not sure that being clutch can be learned. Jeremy hasn't proved he's clutch. I'd go with Josh.

cggonzaga
01-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Great point Uber. The more I think about it I hate how most teams just let 20-30 seconds run off the clock while everyone stands around. Then with 8 seconds left one guy tries to take on the whole defense. Run offense, keep the defense moving, keep your offensive guys interested. Also, the ballhandler has all that time to think about what he's going to do instead of just react to what the defense gives you.

Zag79
01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure that being clutch can be learned. Jeremy hasn't proved he's clutch

if i recall the game AT stanford against the lopez bros pargo was pretty clutch. he put the team on his back and willed them to victory. jerry west? i think the problem many of you have with pargo is you cant figure out hes not the typical shoots for 3 guard ala danny and blake. neither one of them could get to the rim like pgo (im not comparing them mind you), there just totally different players.

Krobbins34
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Gray and then Daye

Reborn
01-09-2009, 05:22 PM
If Matt can continue to handle the ball the way he did Wednesday night than he will have earned that honor. I thought he handled the offense better than I've seen anyone do it since Santangelo. His court vision was incredible, and he was NOT turning the ball over and seemed to get the ball to the shooters in an area where they could hit their shots. I was so impressed with Matt's passing Wednesday. I felt Gray was doing the same. I like the ball in Matt's hands now. And I think it is time for him to step up and assume this new role that I believe Few wants him to grab. At least from what I read it sounds like Few had a long talk with Matt before the game Wednesday, and the result produced a great offensive game for Matt. I am just hoping for consistency now from Matt. I hope he doesn't come out tomorrow flat and just not asserting himself the way he needs to. I am hoping for another 20+ game. I think we need a guy like that. And it's him and Austin I think who are most capable of doing that on a regular basis.

Between Matt and Austin. I go with Matt.

fedwayzag
01-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I have to agree with cggonzaga. I am tired of them running the clock down to less then 10 seconds, then setting the up the high pick and roll. This is the only play we have used to end a half or game over the last 2-3 yrs. If you are the opposing team you know what is coming. When you know what is coming it much easier to defend. I say run some normal offense and let the cards play out in the last 10 seconds. We all seem to agree anyone of 5-6 guys have the ability to make a last second shot. I say give them the opportunity.

theirishzag03
01-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I will assume man to man:

With that said, Jeremy Pargo, at his best (like when he put us on his back vs Ty Lawson and UNC) would get the ball. Matt if he was playing like the majority of the game Wednesday (but his last 2 games he has had 3 shots to "win" the game and looked a bit rushed and off) I would love Austin, because of his moves and height, but I am afraid he forces a bit much (like the shot that hit the side of the backboard) Micah if he is in a confident mood, like vs. Memphis when Josh was suspended. Josh is not going to take someone off the dribble- so he is out, Ira won't much either, Demetri is a frosh, no thanks, YET.

So that leaves Steven Gray, but as Jay Bilas said he needs to be more aggressive! But he has good bounce, a pure jump shot and great ball handling and moves and as proven against UConn can get to the rim.

I take Gray because his jump shot is more reliable than JP...

But as pointed out it is nice that 7-8 guys could take the last shot and if it was a good look, NOBODY should complain!