PDA

View Full Version : Seattle P-I: Raivio sheds no tears

soonerterp
03-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Linky (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/307812_zagbar16.html)

Asked if he had felt cheated that a Zags team with victories over North Carolina and Texas failed to survive the first round of the postseason, weakened by the loss of starting center Josh Heytvelt to a drug bust and team suspension, Raivio was honest about it.

"A little bit, but that's how it goes," the 6-foot-3 guard said. "Things are never perfect. Josh could have helped us. But tonight, I don't think we could beat many teams with the way we played, even if we had him. He'd been in the gym with us the last couple of days (at Gonzaga)."

He finished as the nation's leading foul shooter, connecting on 148 of 154 attempts (96.8 percent), hitting both of his attempts against Indiana. He missed just 17 of 370 free throws in his career (93 percent).

He played 127 games for Gonzaga, starting 95 of them, twice receiving All-West Coast Conference honors and sharing the league player of the year award this season.

"My first couple of years, I knew I could have offered more," he said. "I just waited my turn."

Rather than feel sadness or depression over leaving the Zags, Raivio said he was eager and anxious to try the next level.

He has NBA camps and workouts already scheduled.

"I'll just keep working out after this loss," he said. "There's bigger things out there for me."

GonzagaGurl08
03-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the link SoonerTerp. Great article on Derek, very well written!!! I'm glad to see that he has NBA workouts in is future, he'll succeed no matter where he goes, NBA or Europe!!

youreachiteach
03-16-2007, 09:34 AM
This just shows what type of kid Raivio is!

Adam Morrison gets eliminated, he's starts crying because it hurts so much. Raivio says there's bigger things for me out there???

He has "ALREADY" SCHEDULED workouts?

Now there is your Sr. leader.

lothar98zag
03-16-2007, 10:16 AM

Adam Morrison gets eliminated, he's starts crying because it hurts so much. Raivio says there's bigger things for me out there???

Another post from Mr Positive!

Did a young DR take your starting spot on your HS hoops team or something? Did his dad beat up your dad 20 years ago?

almanZAG
03-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Could not agree more! Ravio is I this and I that, he complained about Morrison always getting the Ball and was threatend by Downs. To much a spoiled crybaby and less I love my team and teammates.

youreachiteach
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
facts are facts, Mr Lothar. Raivio said it himself not me. He's got "bigger things" lined up. And that leaves die hards like you having a sleepness nite because your team lost last nite lol....

Cheers.

lothar98zag
03-16-2007, 11:06 AM
You Reach I Teach wrote:

facts are facts, Mr Lothar. Raivio said it himself not me. He's got "bigger things" lined up. And that leaves die hards like you having a sleepness nite because your team lost last nite lol....

Cheers.

wow, sleepless night?

I'm so hurt...:rolleyes:

Shanachie
03-16-2007, 11:47 AM

I don't know Morrison or Raivio personally, but it's obvious to everyone (except people like You Reach I Teach who apparently have axes to grind) that there is no comparison between this year's loss and last year's. Last year's team had reasonable Final Four aspirations and blew a big lead in the final minutes. This year's was lucky to make the tourney and had a disappointing but certainly not heartbreaking loss as a 10 seed. Raivio was responding to questions about his career and future. It's not like the reporter asked a question about the game to which Raivio responded that the loss didn't matter because he had tryouts planned.

I don't begrudge Morrison for moving on to the NBA. I enjoyed watching him play for the Zags and the ride he took us on. If he thinks the time was right to move on, I won't second guess that. Still, I think it's worth noting that both Raivio and Mallon provided a whole lot more senior leadership this year than their classmate who now plays for the Bobcats.

cielmike
03-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't begrudge Morrison for moving on to the NBA. I enjoyed watching him play for the Zags and the ride he took us on. If he thinks the time was right to move on, I won't second guess that. Still, I think it's worth noting that both Raivio and Mallon provided a whole lot more senior leadership this year than their classmate who now plays for the Bobcats.

Agree that DR and SM provided a lot of senior leadship and kudos to them for their effort. I guess if Morrison was to have provided the team leadership last year, it would have had to have been junior leadership as he shipped off to the NBA for his "senior" year. I too don't begrudge Morrsion for his decision; after all, it is what the rules allow and he obviouisly thought his NBA future was more valuable than his GU experience and degree. I believe, however, that the rules should be changed to restrict any full-scholarship player from departing until he has completed his senior year. It's kind of a commitment-to-the-program sort of thing but will probably never happen (like raising the height of the hoop to 11 ft and moving the 3 point line out).

VanZagar
03-16-2007, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=You Reach I Teach;15497]

Ammo was no more than an old fashioned bad loser. He was always one to taunt when he was ahead.

lothar98zag
03-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I believe, however, that the rules should be changed to restrict any full-scholarship player from departing until he has completed his senior year.

What about a junior computer science major on a full ride academic scholarship that is offered a 6 figure salary from Google? Should they be forced to stay in school for another 1+ years?

(Just asking)

beatProgram
03-16-2007, 03:57 PM
What about a junior computer science major on a full ride academic scholarship that is offered a 6 figure salary from Google? Should they be forced to stay in school for another 1+ years?

(Just asking)

This is a totally loaded question since it's not 1999 anymore :)

Now you can almost always get a 10 year veteran for less than you would have grabbed that college student for.

lothar98zag
03-16-2007, 04:05 PM
This is a totally loaded question since it's not 1999 anymore :)

Now you can almost always get a 10 year veteran for less than you would have grabbed that college student for.

you're right. you got me. :p

Shanachie
03-16-2007, 07:55 PM
I believe, however, that the rules should be changed to restrict any full-scholarship player from departing until he has completed his senior year. It's kind of a commitment-to-the-program sort of thing but will probably never happen (like raising the height of the hoop to 11 ft and moving the 3 point line out).

I can't say that I agree with that. Neither the player nor the program is committing to four years. If the player turns out not to be good enough, the school is free to take his scholarship away. Likewise, when it is no longer to the player's benefit (in his opinion) to stay in school, he should be free to move on to the NBA (or D-league, or Europe, or McDonalds as the case may be).

RebornZag
03-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Adam has done more for the GU program then any one single player ever has. Because of what he did in his 3 years here at GU a whole different and better athlete will now find his way to GU. If we hope to win an NCAA championship (and I think we all do) and if we want to keep our program at a very high level (and I think we all do) then we must be able to recruit the kind of basketball players and athletes that will help lead us all to the promise land....We will need to recruit players who will only want to come to Gonzaga for 2 and possibly 3 years at the most. And they will come hoping to become the kind of player that Adam Morrison developed into...and yes...more like Adam then like Drav. That fact may hurt some of your feelings, but you need to ask yourself what your hopes are...in an honest way....The very best young basketball players (and the kind we want) will want to go to a university that will help them develop the skills they will need to end up in the NBA, and if they can become a 3rd round draft pick like Adam....all the better....I'm not knocking Drav or Mallon....but they did not lead us too far in the tournament did they? Derek is not Adam. Not even close. But who has been? No knock on Derek or Sean. But neither of them will end up in the NBA...A fact!!! Derek doesn't seem to have what it will take for him to "get along with" other players that he will play with in the NBA. In my opinion he's not a team player....and the guys in the NBA will eat him alive if he ever tried to pull on them what he has done to Adam and the latest...Micah Downs on National TV...

adoptedzag
03-16-2007, 10:44 PM

(Just asking)

More like, a junior CS major who has a degenerative disease that will eventually leave him without the ability to type code (thus his livelyhood) gets offered a 6-figure salary ;)

Adam did the right thing.

penny
03-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Raivio says there's bigger things for me out there???

what do you want him to say, "college is the best thing that has ever happened to me, there will never be anything bigger, i should just give up now."

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the NBA tournament for seniors (can't remember what it is called). if that is what he was talking about he got the invatation some time ago, what do you want him to do, wait to accept his spot until after the season is over. he already knows he isnt going to be playing college next year, its not like he is saying "I'm a junior and i'm going to the NBA" (like somebody we know)

and about the whole Micah thing, Micah was 4-14 and was taking bad shots, derek was 8-12, I would have told micah to pass the ball too. it was well known that morrison would yell at his teammates to get him the ball and you say that derek isnt a team player. HAHAHA

and for those of you who are happy derek is gone, well lets just take away is stats this year and see how many games they win!

NJZag
03-17-2007, 02:36 PM

The only thing it showed me was that Derek Raivio is a dignified young man who keeps his emotions in check when dealing with the media.

A stoic Zag, if you will.

There have been others in the past; one hopes there will be more in the future. It's not a bad thing to be guarded with the press.

The other posts above address what the pre-existing invitations to outgoing senior collegiate players for tryouts would have been about. It's probably the Portsmouth Invitational. Given your position as a consummate source of coaching insight on this board, You Reach, you ought to know that.

Next ....

youreachiteach
03-17-2007, 02:36 PM
HOW ABOUT SAYING THIS: i havent really thought about my potential pro future, all i was thinking about was winning the NCAA tournament for my team and coaches and fans.

I dont want to talk about it right now, because this loss really hurts right now. Im sad that my GU career has ended, and I feel for Sean and the team right now.

NJZag
03-17-2007, 02:47 PM
HOW ABOUT SAYING THIS: i havent really thought about my potential pro future, all i was thinking about was winning the NCAA tournament for my team and coaches and fans.

I dont want to talk about it right now, because this loss really hurts right now. Im sad that my GU career has ended, and I feel for Sean and the team right now.

How's about he hires YOU to be his press agent to hand out your canned version of what players ought to say?

Maybe he's been a little too focused on putting his effort into what that same article reports as his numbers FOR THE TEAM OF WHICH HE WAS A DEDICATED PART.

He finished as the nation's leading foul shooter, connecting on 148 of 154 attempts (96.8 percent), hitting both of his attempts against Indiana. He missed just 17 of 370 free throws in his career (93 percent).

He played 127 games for Gonzaga, starting 95 of them, twice receiving All-West Coast Conference honors and sharing the league player of the year award this season.

soonerterp
03-17-2007, 03:10 PM
PEOPLE! PEOPLE!

Holy crap (can I say that here?) ... all in the world I did was post an article. Had no freakin' idea it would touch quite a sensitive nerve!

NJZag
03-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Holy crap (can I say that here?) ... all in the world I did was post an article.

Let's have another.

:link: :link: :link:

http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/03162007news116167.cfm

:D

Raivio wound up first in NCAA in a free-throw percentage of 96.1 (148 for 154) this season, and his career average of 92.7 percent (343 for 370) set an NCAA Division I record.

In Gonzaga history, Raivio's career totals rank 12th in points (1,456), second in steals (158), fourth in 3-pointers (243) and fourth in assists (356).

"He's had an amazing career," Few said. "Amazing."

Raivio, typically stoic, showed little emotion when asked how he felt about his college career coming to a close.

"It probably won't hit me for a couple days, when we don't have practice for a day or two," Raivio said. "But life goes on."

sittingon50
03-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Okafor (sp?) graduated in 3 yrs. from U Conn (with honors). Probably would have been bored sticking around another year.;)

vandalzag
03-18-2007, 07:41 AM

If he said that would it have changed the score? Would missed layups and jumpers have fallen? Would we be sitting here discussing the UCLA game? Your are and absolute idiot if think that Morrison, Dickau,Stepp,etc.... were not having the same discussions during the same point in their career.
Imagine a 22 year old kid not giving the perfect sound bite right after the final game of his college career. Should he have included a personal shout out to You Reach I Teach, giving praise for inspiring him and the rest of teammates?