PDA

View Full Version : End of half/game management

ZagManFan
01-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Anyone else notice that Bouldin had the ball in his hands at the end of the 1st and 2nd half and not Pargo? It has been well discussed on here that Pargo struggles in those situations and I for one was happy the change was made.

Now Bouldin did not score on either postions, but the shot quality was much greater.

Larrylegend
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I agree. While Bouldin doesn't have Pargo's handles, he has more savy and is a better shooter and passer. Bouldin was playing the 1 at times in last night's game as well.

malmer7
01-08-2009, 09:58 AM
i could go either way on who's bringing the ball up. what i LOVED to see, was bouldin moving after the pass - this guy truly cuts to the hole better than most, probably the best i've seen since blake stepp

Ezag
01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Bouldin just flat out has been outplaying Jeremy - though Jeremy's behind the back was sick! :)

CDC84
01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Steven Gray had the ball in his hands against Utah in a similiar game moment.
I like the adjustment Few has made in handling these situations, but Pargo has got to be in there to bring the ball up and keep the opposing team's point guard from getting up into Bouldin's grill. Matt is much better off in that situation when the opposing team's shooting guard is defending him.

vandalzag
01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Matt, Steve, Pargo the results have all been bad. Matt got to the hoop and threw a contested shot 2 feet over the rim. I just hate to see them standing around until 7 seconds, set a screen and hope for the best. If that is the only option than Daye would be the be best choice since he is the most adept at getting his shot on his own. I would prefer to see Matt cutting off the ball and Steven popping off of screens, but the play has to start sooner (and since all 3 players have taken the same approach it would seem to be a coaching approach).

TacomaZAG
01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Jeremy MUST be the primary ball handler throughout the game, but the "change up" at crunch time was a great call. Also, the beginning of the game (6-0 to start) was a great change from the previous month or so.

That being said, what got it all going was the start of the second half with the time out call after less than a minute, coupled with the substitutions following the time out. In the past, the first 5 minutes of the second half have generally not been kind to us, but last night we went from a 6 point deficit at half time to a 10 point lead after the first 5 minutes of the second half. That's where the game was decided.

Great coaching decisions, great execution by the players, great victory to build on for conference play and into March.

Go ZAGS

CDC84
01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
BTW - Gonzaga's players need to do a better job of calling timeouts on those inbounds plays. Few doesn't burn thru timeouts like Ben Howland does....there are always some available. If no one is open, or if you're trapped in a corner, don't make a silly pass or get a 5 count....call a TO.

TacomaZAG
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
on the timeouts.

Question - Can the bench call a timeout on an out of bounds play, like they can when the ball is in play????

Go ZAGS

gamagin
01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Matt, Steve, Pargo the results have all been bad. Matt got to the hoop and threw a contested shot 2 feet over the rim. I just hate to see them standing around until 7 seconds, set a screen and hope for the best. If that is the only option than Daye would be the be best choice since he is the most adept at getting his shot on his own. I would prefer to see Matt cutting off the ball and Steven popping off of screens, but the play has to start sooner (and since all 3 players have taken the same approach it would seem to be a coaching approach).

and everyone else who gets the last shot and has the time (which we have in the ones we lost, for the most part) is to take it al the way to the rim. this way if the shot goes its over, and if not, there is a liklihood that we go to the free throw line.

two chances versus one.

Matt, imo, has too much adrenlelin pumping at the end to pull up and do a touch shot -- especially when he has been charging the net all night. THAT, versus some kind of choke or hangup, is what I see happening, and to fix that he needs to do what works the whole game at the end of the game.

time permitting.

gamagin
01-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Anyone else notice that Bouldin had the ball in his hands at the end of the 1st and 2nd half and not Pargo? It has been well discussed on here that Pargo struggles in those situations and I for one was happy the change was made.

Now Bouldin did not score on either postions, but the shot quality was much greater.

who seems to be having a better game. has his stuff together.

the Vols kept feeding the hot hand until it cooled. so should we.

same with game and clock and ball handling.

JP is in a rough patch, so MB steps up. that's the way it should be. JP didn't forget how to dribble. He needs to get it back together. Seeing what he needs to do is as important as doing it at times.

what we're seeing after the Vols game, imo, is the re emergence of the team we saw in the OSC. Emphasis on team. there will be tough moments, but as long as we're covering, we'll be fine.

We do have the talent overall. Few, imo, just needed to move a little quicker to shore up a weak spot, or give someone a blow or a chance to see what was happening, and he did that. And it worked.

I look for more of the same. Makes things more fluid and increases our chances and definitely gives more players more p.t. and valuable experience.

malmer7
01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
and everyone else who gets the last shot and has the time (which we have in the ones we lost, for the most part) is to take it al the way to the rim. this way if the shot goes its over, and if not, there is a liklihood that we go to the free throw line.

two chances versus one.

Matt, imo, has too much adrenlelin pumping at the end to pull up and do a touch shot -- especially when he has been charging the net all night. THAT, versus some kind of choke or hangup, is what I see happening, and to fix that he needs to do what works the whole game at the end of the game.

time permitting.

i was thinking the same thing last night - how many last second shots has bouldin taken that have been too strong? never short. never up - never in i guess. i think he's too pumped to hit that last second runner - but that's pretty much the only fault i can find in him from last night, so that works for me!

Zag4Hire
01-08-2009, 11:11 AM

two chances versus one.

time permitting.

In watching the replay and the way the Vols were hyper aggressive on defense all night (Bilas: 'Look at the Vols. You can get them in the air right now by lifting an eyebrow), Matt would have been clobbered if he stopped and pumped faked right there. I think he would have been tackled by 3 guys. Or that would have been a perfect draw and kick to the open man. Hard to think on the run and I am indifferent against calling a timeout there versus Tennessee: Against teams that have stout defense, I say play on the fly so you don't get them a chance to set up. However, UT seemed to lack defensive discipline all night so it might have worked out better to draw up a play there. Ah, i will take the double digit win though versus a slim victory.

UberZagFan
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I just hate to see them standing around until 7 seconds, set a screen and hope for the best.

Agreed.

Uber's theory: Few and staff were spoiled with Dickau and Stepp who could dribble out the clock and then either bomb away fromt the Bulldog logo or quickly find an open man--there wasn't much need to run a set play. Ammo came along and it was easy to just give him the ball with the clock winding down. Now what? Watch Pargo pound the ball until 7-6-5 seconds are left before starting something? The shot should be going up with 5-4 on the clock so what's wrong with getting in a set or moving the ball around until that point? If the shot doesn't fall, that gives more time for a put back. And if they get the ball back, it's not like they'll pull a Tyus Edney on GU.

As for the end of regulation last night, that's a different story for a different thread. . .

malmer7
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Agreed.

Uber's theory: Few and staff were spoiled with Dickau and Stepp who could dribble out the clock and then either bomb away fromt the Bulldog logo or quickly find an open man--there wasn't much need to run a set play. Ammo came along and it was easy to just give him the ball with the clock winding down. Now what? Watch Pargo pound the ball until 7-6-5 seconds are left before starting something? The shot should be going up with 5-4 on the clock so what's wrong with getting in a set or moving the ball around until that point? If the shot doesn't fall, that gives more time for a put back. And if they get the ball back, it's not like they'll pull a Tyus Edney on GU.

As for the end of regulation last night, that's a different story for a different thread. . .

uber - great post, you hit it out of the park on this one (not sure if that's what you were going for, but good analysis!).

DixieZag
01-08-2009, 02:09 PM
As things stand today, the person I want taking the last shot with a game on the line = Steven Gray. Yes, he is streaky, but I think he is the most mentally tough player we have, the guy most resembling the Dickau/Stepp type person uber longs for.

Zag79
01-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Bouldin just flat out has been outplaying Jeremy

really? against utah pargo had 14 pts, 4 assists, and 3 bounds. matt had 8, 0 and 3. against psu jeremy only had 11 pts, but 7 assists. matt had 18 pts (great!) and 4 steals. almost even overall. and against uconn, jeremy had 16 points and 4 assists, while matt only had 6 pts. im not tring to make this a matt vs jeremy thing, hell i want them both on the floor at the same time! im just showing you how your thinking isnt on par with whats happening on the court. as far as changing who takes the last shot, if not pargo im totally ok with that. but matt has had 2 chances and hasnt even drawn rim. i would like to see daye or gray take the shot personally.

Once and Future Zag
01-09-2009, 07:10 AM
As things stand today, the person I want taking the last shot with a game on the line = Steven Gray. Yes, he is streaky, but I think he is the most mentally tough player we have, the guy most resembling the Dickau/Stepp type person uber longs for.

Seconded and Thirded and sent to the bank.