PDA

View Full Version : Great Game, But...

malmer7
01-08-2009, 07:10 AM
As most of you were, I was extremely impressed and pleased with A)the effort last night and B)the execution to pull out this big W on the road. It really could be the turning point in the season as many have pointed out.
Numerous threads have started regarding the "glue" that is Bouldin and now Gray and how when they play well, it elevates the entire team to play at their full potential.
Coming off such a great W, I hate to be negative, but from what I've seen all season, the exact opposite is true of Austin Daye. As a freshman, Daye played hard no matter what, and just seemed happy to be getting some playing time. This year, the guy has played selfish "non-GU" basketball on several occasions, and has done nothing to make the players around him better.
If I see Austin miss one more shot that is followed by a quick frustration foul, hands on the hips, head shaking and looking like he just found out his childhood dog died, I might just flip out! Not to mention, every time Few has to pull him (because of those frustration fouls), he always comes to the sideline giving Few some lip, just things I'm not used to seeing in GU basketball. If anyone thinks I'm way off-base here please let me know. But I truly feel that if this team is going to reach its full potential on a consistent basis, Austin needs to start showing a little more heart out there, become more of a leader, and eventually elevate the entire team to that level we all know we're capable of playing at...

mcdiehard
01-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Interesting time to bring up the issue. After other games, I may have agreed with you re: his body language (but certainly would not agree with you that Austin is somehow an anti-glue guy who epitomizes everything that GU basketball is not).

However, this particular contest illustrated a different story. AD has one moment like you described-- he hit a shot off of the side of the backboard and commenced to commit a foul. After that moment, he was lights out, hit huge shots, and was instrumental to our victory (not to mention making some great plays BEFORE that, as well).

TexasZagFan
01-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Can we just enjoy a great win for once?

I'm in a great mood this morning for the following reasons:
1. Zags win last night.
2. Cowboys cut Pacman Jones.
3. I learned my 6th graders on Weds nite are the best behaved of the other classes, according to well placed sources. My 18 students are typical 6th graders: boisterous, loquacious, etc. I didn't get accustomed to their "energy" until I'd been through four years, which means the past seven years have been pretty good.
4. Cowboys announce they won't pursue Tank Johnson in free agency.
5. Zags win last night (worth repeating), go into conference play with their swagger back, and three consecutive home games.

Then I read this new thread. Sure, Austin has issues, and I have confidence that he'll continue to improve all aspects of his game.

FuManShoes
01-08-2009, 07:29 AM
If anyone thinks I'm way off-base here please let me know.

Sorry, but I think you're way off base. Austin had a rough first half, turned a 180 and was one of the key reasons the Zags pulled out this win. Of course he needs to even the keel a bit, but you picked a bad target for criticism. Down the stretch, Austin was every bit the stud he's been billed to be, and every bit the Zag he should be.

cjm720
01-08-2009, 07:34 AM
I agree with the original poster to a large degree. Austin has a lot of maturing to do. His talent is undeniable and I loved seeing him take over OT. We wouldn't have won without him.

GO ZAGS!!

malmer7
01-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Sorry, but I think you're way off base. Austin had a rough first half, turned a 180 and was one of the key reasons the Zags pulled out this win. Of course he needs to even the keel a bit, but you picked a bad target for criticism. Down the stretch, Austin was every bit the stud he's been billed to be, and every bit the Zag he should be.

I agree my timing isn't the best, and I'm just excited to get the W as well... further, there's no doubt we don't win that game if Austin doesn't go unconscious in the end of that game last night. This is more of an underlying trend I've noticed over the entire season, and I just couldn't believe I saw him doing it last night, on the road, while the game was still very much up in the air. It frustrates me to have Bilas making comments about our guys' body language and such.

Larrylegend
01-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Last night Tennessee was eating GU alive on the offensive boards. Tennessee had 18 offensive rebounds!!! Neither Daye nor Josh could stop them. That changed when Big Will got in the game and was cleaning the defensive glass, blocking shots and forcing Tennessee to shot to shot from the outside. The game changed to GU's favor when Will came in and stopped Tennessee's offensive rebounding.

I agree Daye needs to grow up and emotionally mature. Another criticism of Daye is that he is physically "soft". What I have seen from Daye, starting with UConn game this year, is a growing toughness and ability to compete against big, strong, athletic teams. Daye didn't have a rebound in the first half against Tennessee last night. He had 8 huge boards in the second half.

I believe Daye is emotionally and physically maturing. This is part of his basketball development.

malmer7
01-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Larry - I hope you're right, we need those boards from here on out, especially if we're playing without Sacre. We are REALLY missing that thick guy in the middle (a la Viollette, Gourde, Calvary, even Fox). Between Daye, Downs, Heitvelt, etc we have the height for those boards, but these guys are fundamentally all scorers, not rebounders. That being said, there's still hope for Daye IF he can mature (mentally and physically) as you mention.

KOzag08
01-08-2009, 07:52 AM
As most of you were, I was extremely impressed and pleased with A)the effort last night and B)the execution to pull out this big W on the road. It really could be the turning point in the season as many have pointed out.
Numerous threads have started regarding the "glue" that is Bouldin and now Gray and how when they play well, it elevates the entire team to play at their full potential.
Coming off such a great W, I hate to be negative, but from what I've seen all season, the exact opposite is true of Austin Daye. As a freshman, Daye played hard no matter what, and just seemed happy to be getting some playing time. This year, the guy has played selfish "non-GU" basketball on several occasions, and has done nothing to make the players around him better.
If I see Austin miss one more shot that is followed by a quick frustration foul, hands on the hips, head shaking and looking like he just found out his childhood dog died, I might just flip out! Not to mention, every time Few has to pull him (because of those frustration fouls), he always comes to the sideline giving Few some lip, just things I'm not used to seeing in GU basketball. If anyone thinks I'm way off-base here please let me know. But I truly feel that if this team is going to reach its full potential on a consistent basis, Austin needs to start showing a little more heart out there, become more of a leader, and eventually elevate the entire team to that level we all know we're capable of playing at...

You know, this is something that I have noticed for a long time. In Austin's mind, i bet he's never done anything wrong. Quit complaining about every call, be a leader and play the game. I too get sick and tired of seeing him whine about everything.

That being said, I think he is an outstanding player. I don't think he should leave after this year though, as he has a lot of maturing to do. He needs to put on AT LEAST another 15 pounds in the off season and needs to work on his quicks. I was very impressed with some of the boards he pulled down last night down the stretch.

23dpg
01-08-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm not saying that you are wrong but you have posts this morning where you rip Daye, Heytvelt and Morrison?

On Daye:
This year, the guy has played selfish "non-GU" basketball on several occasions, and has done nothing to make the players around him better.

On Morrison:
Maybe I should just be happy he wasn't crying at mid-court?

On Heytvelt:
i still feel that one of the pieces tearing at that glue is heitvelt with his selfish style of basketball and occasional lack of hustle

What's up?...we won last night.

Edit to add a rip of Pargo.

loved to see bouldin and gray step up in crunch time, but where did pargo go...?

Pargo had a terrible first 15 minutes but then played very well after that. I think he had 5 or 6 assists and no turnovers in the last 30 minutes of the game after 5 turnovers in the first 15.

malmer7
01-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm not saying that you are wrong but you have posts this morning where you rip Daye, Heytvelt and Morrison?

On Daye:
This year, the guy has played selfish "non-GU" basketball on several occasions, and has done nothing to make the players around him better.

On Morrison:
Maybe I should just be happy he wasn't crying at mid-court?

On Heytvelt:
i still feel that one of the pieces tearing at that glue is heitvelt with his selfish style of basketball and occasional lack of hustle

What's up?...we won last night.

On Daye - it's just something I've noticed throughout the year that is a reflection over the whole team/school. Win or loose, I don't want our team looking like a bunch of babies.
On Morrison - i knew that would get a rise out of someone, probably should have omitted that, since i will admit i was crying right there in the stands with him
On Heytvelt - i've always been a hater on this guy since, well, everyone knows when.

I'm super excited about the win last night - but i think the reality of my post should ring clear that it's not ALL about winning and loosing, it's about winning and looking good while doing it!

TexasZagFan
01-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm super excited about the win last night - but i think the reality of my post should ring clear that it's not ALL about winning and loosing, it's about winning and looking good while doing it!

Damn, you're making me regret the positive rep I just sent your way.

It's all about the effort...winning will take care of itself when the guys give 100% every second they're on the court.

I tell my kids "if you do your best every day, then I'll be proud of you no matter what grade you bring home". I'm currently batting .667, as two of those three have bought into it. I'm optimistic that I'll be batting 1.000 during this current semester, as the recalcitrant one is paying his own college costs until his grades are acceptable. ;)

malmer7
01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
tex - if you read some of my other posts today, you'll see i agree 100% with you, it's not about winning, it's about effort and representing your school! that line in this thread was totally meant for sarcasm...

former1dog
01-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Damn, you're making me regret the positive rep I just sent your way.

Fixed that for ya, due to personal attacks on players.. Uncalled for. Critique the play, not the person you do not know.

zagnut52
01-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I think we ALL have some room for improvement, and if someone were to tell me they didn't, I wouldn't believe them. This win has put a smile back on my face. Keep it up guys!!!!!:)

TexasZagFan
01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
tex - if you read some of my other posts today, you'll see i agree 100% with you, it's not about winning, it's about effort and representing your school! that line in this thread was totally meant for sarcasm...

Emoticons are your friend. Otherwise, what you may think is sarcasm will be interpreted differently by others.

malmer7
01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Malmer, I think I've decided I pretty much don't ever like anything you write.

appreciate that gray, thanks, also love your post calling me a d-bag for speaking my mind, pretty fair.

former1dog
01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
appreciate that gray, thanks, also love your post calling me a d-bag for speaking my mind, pretty fair.

Reap what you sow, pal. When you spread rumors about people who are strangers to you on a public message board visited by thousands (including players and their family and friends) on a daily basis is not good behaviour. You're surprised that people have a negative reaction and want to call you names?

malmer7
01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
i don't think gray was referring to my heytvelt rant. i'm pretty sure my daye statement was fair, had nothing to do with off-court incidences and was respectful criticism. last time i checked, it's not a horrible thing to want to see a positive attitude out of our guys, am i wrong?

former1dog
01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
#1 - Gray can speak for himself.

#2 - You've gone out of your way to be provacative today and stepped way over the line so it will be awhile before regulars like myself can be objective again about your posts.