• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagAddict
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GU Frontcourt Observation

I have a tendency to get down on the Zags, particularily Heytvelt, when we don't rebound on the defensive or offensive end of the court. But during tonight's game, Mrs. ZagAddict made a great observation that brought it all in perspective.

Mrs. ZagAddict mentioned that Heytvelt is yet to complete an entire basketball season healthy during his tenure at Gonzaga. It seems like he is wearing down and losing his rebounding toughness towards the mid-point of this season. It's difficult think of Heytvelt as playing his first full season as a Zag during his senior season, but this is exactly the case. I think it is compounded by the fact the Heytvelt has to play extended minutes due to Sacre's injury. We miss Sacre more than we may think. Foster is going to have to play a key role in the Zag frontcourt this season if we are thinking about the NCAA tournament in March. Heytvelt is playing too soft underneath the basket and settling for 3 point shots on the offensive end of the court.

Games in the conference against teams like St. Mary's and Santa Clara are going to pose problems for the Zags in the frontcourt. We are going to have to rely upon Foster for quality minutes... the Tennessee game confirmed this in my mind.

Thanks to Mrs. ZagAddict for setting me straight. Now if you will excuse me I need to go eat some humble pie.

Go Zags
  • WallaWallaZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

i'm not sure if josh is 100% back yet and he looks a little slow to me this year, whether because of still recovering from surgery or the muscle/weight he has put on maybe??? slow as in not quick, cuz he still has the straight line speed when sprinting down the court and pointing for the lob every time there is a fast break =). i'm sure i'm wrong, but i don't remember seeing josh chase down a rebound outside his zone yet this year...could be that he has been trying to conserve energy with rob out, but it doesn't seem like josh is giving full effort rebounding all the time...

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Well, we'd be in a lot better shape if Josh was more in tune with rebounding and intimidating underneath. He just doesn't have it. On top of that, he's 40 lbs heavier and has lost some quickness and elevation. Rob seemed to love it down there in the low blocks. He's a disruptive force and he takes up lots of space. Nobody drove the key or had flexibility down there when Rob was there.

But he's gone......and likely gone for the season. So I hope Will gets tougher and gets better hands. Few did the unexpected tonight and had Josh, Austin and Will all at once to changes the direction of the game. It seemed to work for about 10 minutes or so. Even with that though, we lost the boards again......this just can't continue if this team is to dance for more than 1 weekend.

I liked the lineup..but we sure could use Rob. It'spretty obvious that Josh will NEVER be a low blocks guy. Few doesn't have sufficient backup to make him sit......I would but I'm not Few. I'm thinking the key guys we saw tonight are the ones that finish up the season. It is what it is. Some of our "dogs" just won't hunt. BUT the ones DO work when they go to work. We have the horses out front and partially down low. We need a Center who's tough. Finesse works.....the trick is to figure out when to use it. Few needs to know. He'll figure this out because he's out of tricks.
      Last edited by MDABE80; 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM. Reason: spell

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Let's see. The last two games Josh gets 10 and 12 boards. I'd say that's pretty darn good. And good enough imo. As for shooting. He was 6-7 tonight, and only one basket from behind the 3 pt line. He made some very good moves and baskets down low tonight. I saw a lot of improvement tonight out of Josh. My God he had a double double. The only player who did. Josh, imo, just does not get the credit he desrves. I thought he had a huge game tonight. One of his best ever. He is NOT getting tired at mid season. He is improving. And he's gonna continue to, and will continue to get better all year I think. Josh will peak in March. As will the Zags.
        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• S.U. Chieftain
          Banned
          • Jan 2008

It's not just the lack of defensive rebounds and not boxing out that bother me about Heytvelt, but also that he doesn't deny on defense to begin with. His man can get the ball fed to him down low too easily. Along with the lack of blocking out, they appear to be related to effort and/or tiredness.
          I think Josh's best defensive move is how he takes the charge as well as anyone (AKA flopping).

Comment

• zag buddy
            Banned
            • Dec 2007

I think a lot of posters will be eating humble pie when Josh is drafted within the first 10 players.

Comment

• Zag79
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

also keep in mind the teams we have been playing shoot alot of 3s, anyone that knows hoops will agree this creates longer rebounds making it hard for josh (or a big underneath) to grab em. 12 bounds tonight.

Comment

• jjou
                Redshirt
                • Jan 2009

I will give you 10:1 on $1000 that Josh will not be in the first 10 players drafted in the NBA draft.

There are at least 10 guys clearly better than JH right now like:
                Blake Griffin
                Ricky Rubio
                James Harden
                Greg Monroe
                Jordan Hill
                Hasheem Thabeet
                Jrue Holiday
                DeMar DeRozan
                Stephen Curry
                Brandon Jennings

Comment

• Zag79
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

ill give you 1000:1 odds on $10,000 that his point was josh, jeremy and every guy on this team is better than posters exxagerate. josh and jeremy are the two most impt players this team has, check the stats, watch the ebb and flow of the games, etc. everyone is so quick to lay blame on this board. after a great win! wow.

Comment

• MontanaZag
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Nov 2007

Amen Reborn! you hit the nail on the head!

Comment

• gbnyba17
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                      Let's see. The last two games Josh gets 10 and 12 boards. I'd say that's pretty darn good. And good enough imo. As for shooting. He was 6-7 tonight, and only one basket from behind the 3 pt line. He made some very good moves and baskets down low tonight. I saw a lot of improvement tonight out of Josh. My God he had a double double. The only player who did. Josh, imo, just does not get the credit he desrves. I thought he had a huge game tonight. One of his best ever. He is NOT getting tired at mid season. He is improving. And he's gonna continue to, and will continue to get better all year I think. Josh will peak in March. As will the Zags.

Yes reborn! the fact that people are still trying to criticize Josh's game after tonight is laughable! He had an amazing game. Sure Sacre would help, but cmon how can you even begin to talk about Josh's lack of rebounding and whatever else after he just pulled down 12 boards and missed one shot. sometimes im glad im not a player, some of you are just so darn impossible to please! Go Zags!

Comment

Working...
                      X