PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Toughest Zags

jazzdelmar
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
OK, to kill a few mins, lets pick the all time Zag tough five...I will start w the obvious, unanimous choice....Matt Santangelo

former1dog
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
OK, to kill a few mins, lets pick the all time Zag tough five...I will start w the obvious, unanimous choice....Matt Santangelo

Tough guy, might not make my list though.

In no particular order and I reserve the right to change my list.

Pendo
Spink (the younger)
Casey Calvary
Mike Nilson
Jerry Vermillion... (all time leading rebounder, 2nd isn't even close)

Honorable Mention to John Stockton for his entire body of work for being an undersized scrapper who turned into a hall of famer.

Edited to say: I'm making mine a top 10, sorry to break the rules right out of the shoot.

Adding Jim McPhee
Jamie Dudley (He had to be tough, dude was 2 inches or more shorter than me)
Quentin Hall (mentally tough)
Santangelo and Frahm

DrDrivel
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
There was a kid in Campion sophomore year who hooked up with a chick after a party and then both of her roommates (individually, of course) over a 3-week span. I don't know if that makes him tough, per se, but it's pretty badass.

Go Zags.

jazzdelmar
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
not bad, D, but how can u leave Matt off? Amen on Mike Nilson....and Casey...funny how they all harken back to the start of the "Decade," eh?

former1dog
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
not bad, D, but how can u leave Matt off? Amen on Mike Nilson....and Casey...funny how they all harken back to the start of the "Decade," eh?

Matt is a helluva good player and tough, but if you're limiting it to 5 he just doesn't make the cut. An awful lot of players to choose from. He made my 10, though.

One note, I obviously never saw Vermillion play, but the dude had to be tough, right?

You and Bobzag are right, also, the current crop wouldn't register on the '98 - '99 toughness scale.

BTW - I think Ronny and Ammo would be close to making my top 10...

UberZagFan
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
There was a kid in Campion sophomore year who hooked up with a chick after a party and then both of her roommates (individually, of course) over a 3-week span. I don't know if that makes him tough, per se, but it's pretty badass.

Would it be even more badass if it wasn't individually? (Uber will post his serious reply in a separate post as this one may be headed for the mod delete button).

DrDrivel
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I took some liberties with the retelling. If I'd recounted things as they actually happened... and in so much detail... the post would be deleted and I'd probably receive a lengthy account suspension just to make sure I'd learned my lesson.

UberZagFan
01-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Casey is at the top of Uber's list.

Uber would also put JP the Elder in the top five. Maybe not tough in the sense that he would get in someone's face, but really....whoever got in his face? Who was that stupid? And if "toughness" includes mental aspect--always being in the right place at the right time, always positioned properly, etc. then JP has to be in the top 5.

Uber seconds F1D's nomination of Dudley. Dude was tough.

Pendo makes it because every Top 5 needs a token ginger kid.

And finally, Pargo makes it. What Pargo lacks in the mental toughness (most notably end of game breakdowns) he more than makes up for on the physical side.

UberZagFan
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I took some liberties with the retelling. If I'd recounted things as they actually happened... and in so much detail... the post would be deleted and I'd probably receive a lengthy account suspension just to make sure I'd learned my lesson.

Hey, tell it in the Foo--it'll last much longer there.

VinnyZag
01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
isn't on any of your lists: mid-90s PF/enforcer Marc Armstead

former1dog
01-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Uber seconds F1D's nomination of Dudley. Dude was tough.

Played in a pickup game once against Dudley and he was playing a little 3/4 court D. I went to set a pick on him so that my man could get by. Dudley saw me go for the pick, lowered his shoulder and laid a wallop on me and knocked me on my ass. Good times. :D

vandalzag
01-07-2009, 04:13 PM

First off love Matt great guy, great Zag but he was not even the toughest guy on his team. You recollection goes back a decade because that is all you know.
Old school list:
Stockton begins and ends the list. Want to have a lesson in playing hard go play a pickup game with him. Mcphee brothers, Doug Spradley, Jeff Brown (you have to be tough to play D1 ball with a vertical that would not clear a dollar bill), Ed Anderson and Duane Burgess were also hard nose players.

VinnyZag
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
First off love Matt great guy, great Zag but he was not even the toughest guy on his team. You recollection goes back a decade because that is all you know.
Old school list:
Stockton begins and ends the list. Want to have a lesson in playing hard go play a pickup game with him. Mcphee brothers, Doug Spradley, Jeff Brown (you have to be tough to play D1 ball with a vertical that would not clear a dollar bill), Ed Anderson and Duane Burgess were also hard nose players.

Jeff Brown wasn't the toughest guy on HIS team, either.

former1dog
01-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Jeff Brown (you have to be tough to play D1 ball with a vertical that would not clear a dollar bill),

Although Jeff lacked a good vertical, I would say his success was more due to how smartly he used the physical gifts he WAS given. Dude was a smart, smart offensive player.... although his teammates referred to him as the black hole :D

Interesting choice for a tough list, though.

FuManShoes
01-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I cast a vote for Cory Violette.

former1dog
01-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Jeff Brown wasn't the toughest guy on HIS team, either.

Yeah, there were some tough dudes on those teams. Dudley and Goss. Matt Stanford was an impressive physical specimen and tough.

jazzdelmar
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Old school list:

Careful, Van. Who's being negative now?

Ezag
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
(no particular order)

Spink (original energizer bunny)
Calvary ("that's my rebound boyee")
Hall (tough as nails both physically and mentally)
Violette (bang with the best of them)
Pendo (energizer bunny the sequel)

GoZags
01-07-2009, 04:40 PM
1. Jazz
2. Jazz
3. Jazz
4. Jazz
5. Jazz

jazzdelmar
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
1. Jazz
2. Jazz
3. Jazz
4. Jazz
5. Jazz

ty. ty. ty, ty, ty.....and thx to the academy

Lurknomore
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Casey then Corey

vandalzag
01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Brown came to mind based solely on him talking trash and giving the business to Orlando Lightfoot, while Orlando was hanging 50 on him. Rillie putting the team on his shoulders during the first tourney run was something else.

Might as well put Carl Maxey on the list, he was pretty tough.

And OK Jazz :confused:

4AmericasTeam
01-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Here's a few that come to mind:

Dale Haaland
Mark Armstead
Matt Stanford

All tough guys who were good players

TuckC
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Spink and Pendo, the fire heads.

Angelo Roncalli
01-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Hugh Hobus. Tough and crazier than an outhouse rat. A dangerous combination.

Jim DeWeese

Ken Anderson

Marc Armstead

Doug Spradley

Casey Calvary

Cory Violette

Mark Spink

Mike Leasure

Don Baldwin

Blake Stepp, very few know the pain that Blake played through for more than two years.

Zagpower
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
The "Stare" from Errol Knight is enough to put him in my top 5.