PDA

View Full Version : Simplify, Simplify, Simplify

BobZag
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Music to my ears and something I suspected after watching this team bog down lately--

Several players said coaches are simplifying things, but Few preferred to call it a time “where we’re identifying roles better."

gamagin
01-06-2009, 09:07 AM
and every Zag in position.

FuManShoes
01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Several players said coaches are simplifying things, but Few preferred to call it a time “where we’re identifying roles better."

Sounds good, but what does that mean, exactly? Does it mean Jeremy goes back to being the distributor? Downs goes back to being a defender first, scorer second? Josh gets back into the paint to rebound or plays pick and pop and tries to lure his defender out? What are Bouldin's and Gray's roles? Is it to be shooters or slashers/post-up guards? Do they spell each other or play with Downs/vice versa? What is Daye's role, to be the focal point of the offense or only take high percentage mid- and close-range shots and otherwise play high-low with Josh and play help D? What is Ira's role, to be the enforcer in the paint or a perimeter defender? What is Meech's role, to defend the opponent's best guard or just spell Pargof or a few minutes? I guess we'll find out come Wednesday.

Simple sound good, but it's anything but with this versatile bunch.

BobZag
01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Just return to basics, ie, see Orlando.

Simple.

:)

HOOTER
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Just return to basics, ie, see Orlando.

Simple.

:)

Simple was good enough to win the OSC. Simple is good. :)

FuManShoes
01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, but come on, was it really that simple? Few played 9 guys in Orlando, divied out minutes, got unexpected contributions from a true frosh PG and a hobbled big. Someone different stepped up every game of that tourney. The Zags got outrebounded by Tennesseee but were hot enough from the field (see: Gray) and cagey enough on D (see Daye) to offset that. I hardly call that a simple formula.

BobZag
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, simpler then. :)

gozagsgo2009
01-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Cinder----ella?

He made some good points----

oh, looks like "banned" after only 8 posts, did I miss an offensive one?

Reborn
01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
"Where we're identifying roles better."

I felt this was a majoy concern. When everyone isn't on the same page, 100% of the time you have chaos. Few has been very inconsistent with players, and their playing time. When roles are identified every player should know when they will go into the game and when they go out. I believe there should be one player who is our identified top offensive player, and he would be the guy we try to get the ball too. He's the guy we try to set up plays for. Steven Gray, for example had a great game against UConn, and got like 3 pts against Portland State on like 3 shots. I was so mad. Gray should be getting a minimum of 13 shots a game, and the guys need to know that. Austin has been our main offensive player, and imo, he has not lived up to his billing. He has been overhyped, as far as I read it (until he proves me wrong). He has just not stepped up. I feel Gray has, and he should be our #1 offensive player. Personallly, I like Pargo scoring more. I know that many here don't, but he is one guy who can score against anyone.

I'm not saying that I know what is best for GU. I don't. I'm just giving an opinion and trying to illustrate what identifying roles can mean. ONe huge question I have is who are our rebounders? Who are the guys designated to rebound. We know this is a weakness of this team. That has to be cleaned up. Josh really needs to begin to become a better rebounder. He can board. He's shown that before. He just needs to begin to take it upon himself to incorporate that skill into his role. He should be averaging 10 rebounds a game. And I feel he should be challenging himself to do that every game. I think this ZaG TEAM has been way to offensive minded. Everyone seems to me that they want to be the scorer. Let's start finding some guys who want to play D.

I don't think it has been unusual that the roles have not been solidified up to now. The early part of the season is to give everyone a chance to proove their worth. I think everyone has had ample time to show what they are made of, and what they can do....on the court.

dim4sum
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Full court press throughout.
Man-to-man coverage throughout.
Everyone boards or they don't get playing time.
An eight player rotation, except in the event of an utter blowout.
Defense triggers the offense.
Fast break most of the time--limit half court sets involving an exotic playbook.
If the above formula sounds familiar, it is. Because it led UCLA to ten national championships under Johnny Wooden. It's also been a role model for Ben Howland and you can't argue with the results. The only difference being that Howland's rotation is a lot bigger.

GoZAGsMang
01-06-2009, 09:31 PM
like Walt and Bob say - "finish things"

GoZAGsMang

DixieZag
01-07-2009, 07:41 AM
If by simplfy, BZ means, free them up to be a little looser, then I am all for it, I am no expert, and certainly know less than many on this board, but I put the Utah game in an entirely different class than the other three. I believe we played well enough to win at Utah, but our shooting percentage was so low that it is a miracle it was close. I don't attribute that to Utah's D, I saw open shoot after open shoot missed, and to me, that is a team that is pressing themselves, trying to will a victory instead of playing their way to victory, an over correction to the PSU game, in which we had no will to win.

Tonight, I want to see them play a little looser, I liked the comment by Gray that no one expects them to win -- which is perfect, so you have nothing to lose, go out and play like it.