PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Bright named MVP...

MississppiZag
01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
of the Maxpreps Holiday Classic. Good article, per Rivals' Jerry Meyer-

Rivals.com four-star prospect Aaron Bright has yet to gain the full respect of scouts and high-major coaches, but the talented 2010 prospect led his Bellevue (Wash.) team to a championship in the Maxpreps Holiday Classic in San Diego. That championship game and other tournament finals are recapped in this edition of Meyer's Midweek Report.

Aaron Bright took MVP honors at the Maxpreps Holiday Classic.

Two well-coached and hard-playing squads in Bellevue (Wash.) and Rialto (Calif.) Eisenhower locked horns in the final of the Maxpreps Holiday Classic. Led by the 18 points of tournament MVP Aaron Bright, Bellevue outlasted Eisenhower 58-54. Just as important as his scoring, Bright's defense held Creighton signee and fan favorite Andrew Bock to only nine points after he had lit up Jeremy Tyler's squad for 26 points the night before.

Put Bright and Bock in the same category as prospects who will be doubted because of height or size. But the fact is that both are high-major-level winners. Creighton has something special in Bock, and whichever high-major steps up with an offer and gets Bright will be very glad it did.

MZ- Aaron Bright recently told Jerry Meyer, in San Diego, that his top 3 are Arizona, Stanford, and Gonzaga. So my only question is...why is Few waiting to offer the kid? He is ranked #74 and is a 4-star according to Rivals. Meyer says, "Bright is strong and quick with the basketball and guarding the ball. He gets the ball in the hole without being a high volume shooter. And he has the toughness and decision making abilities that make a team gravitate to his leadership."

I hope Few does not wait to long and let the Pac-10 swoop in and take another one. Bright is a good PG who can play D. Would love to see him play with Goodson and be a reliable backup until he takes over the top spot.

ZN had a article on Bright being named MVP, per Maxpreps, but I wanted to make it known that this kid is special and is well liked by the greatest basketball scout/analyst of all time...Jerry Meyer.

cjm720
01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
The only knock on this kid seems to be his height. Pretty impressive start to his junior campaign.

Go Zags!!

MississppiZag
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
That is true. He is a solid all-around PG, who is a little undersized. But hey so is Meech.:)

ZagNative
01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I agree with your comment about Jerry Meyer's credentials, but Scout's Greg Hicks isn't sold yet (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/825814.html), per his comments on his blog about the MaxPreps tournament:

Aaron Bright, 5-10 PG Bellevue (Wash.) High. Small point guard with a nice stroke and range on his shot. Fairly good quickness and passing ability. Will likely get looks at mid major level. FWIW, Hicks wasn't a fan of Joe Burton's either, also tagging him as a mid-major prospect, and he also did performed well in the MaxPreps tourney (though I wasn't impressed with his sportsmanship, after he headbutted Jeremy Tyler....)

Scout doesn't even have a player profile up about Aaron yet, which is irritating and happens too frequently to justify a Scout subscription for all but the morbidly addicted Zag fan (ZagNative raises hand). (Still no Manny profile, and Brock Osweiler still shown as an '09 commit.)

Chris Monter, over on Dawgman (http://washington.scout.com/2/810442.html)had a post on the best players in Washington in mid-November and included Bright among the top five 2010 guys, along with Josh Smith, Simi Fajemisin (Lynnwood), Joe Harris (Chelan), and Dominic Ballard (O’Dea). He uses words like "solid in every aspect, great leadership, good floor vision, deadly jumper, unlimited range.... quickness and ball-handling skills allow him to keep defenses on their toes, dribble penetrates when the opportunity presents itself."

Some folks over on the Cougar Scout board (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=137&f=1996&t=3673680) have seen him play and liked him a lot.

To be fair, though, you have to compare him to a guy like Jordin Mayes (http://gonzaga.scout.com/a.z?s=130&p=8&c=1&nid=3827902), who has the Zags in his top five on Scout ... Don't know what our chances really are witj Mayes, but he made the all-star team at the prestigious City of Palms tournament recently in Fort Meyers, Florida.

spudzag
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
With Gibbs and Arop at the SG slot we could afford to give up a little height at PG.

zagzilla
01-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Didn't some 5"6" PG just steal our lunch money last month? If he can play defense at 5"10" I am interested. As a Jr he may grow a little too.

ZZ