• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Pitt is a Tough Team

Pitt might be the toughest team I've seen thus far. Wow, do they sock you in the mouth! Ask Georgetown.

My question: Is there any way Gonzaga can be that tough?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • zagsfanforlife
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Boy did they look tough. Best team outside of North Carolina I have seen so far. They distribute the ball so well, and Blair is an absolute beast in the post.

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
      My heart says 'yes' but my head says 'no,' BZ.

You've been beating the 'get tougher' drum all season long. Is it a tune these Zags can dance to ? We'll see this month. 8 games in 25 days starting on the 7th. If toughness is a significant measure of the 08-09 squad, it will be apparent by the time Springsteen plays the halftime show at the Super Bowl. . .
      Last edited by RenoZag; 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

yes, yes, YES

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
        My heart says 'yes' but my head says 'no,' BZ.

You've been beating the 'get tougher' drum all season long. Is it a tune these Zags can dance to ? We'll see this month. 8 games in 25 days starting on the 7th. If toughness is a significant measure of the 08-09 squad, it should be apparent by the start of February.
        But it will have to come from within. On the floor. during the game. from each and every player. only then, will this vaunted talent appear and project itself.
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

Can Gonzaga hold its own and compete vs Pitt (or a Pitt-like team)?

UConn is as close to Pitt as we've seen.
          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• JAGzag
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Anything is possible but the facts speak for themselves - this team is lacking a ton right now. We just have to wait and see.

Comment

• cbbfanatic
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Aug 2007

uconn plays with about 1/4 the heart pitt does. physically, they are close to as tough as pitt, but mentally they are nowhere near it

Comment

• ZaginLaw
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

same with Kansas

Kansas is showing how toughness can outplay talent. I wish we had players who have the same desire, tenacity, and smarts as Aldrich and Morningstar.

Those two remind me of the Zags of old.

Comment

• ZaginLaw
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

KU owned Tenn w/ toughness

KU gets its first marquee win vs. UT. They owned them with toughness and playing within themselves.

Didn't see Pitt but I'll tune in next time.

Comment

• zagfan07
                    Kennel Club Alum
                    • Oct 2007

Pitt and Kansas

These teams are also playing top 20 opponents. It's easy to get up and play "tough" in big games. Pitt seems to bring it each and every night against any opponent and I can't argue with them being one of the best teams in the country. Better than UCONN, I don't think so, but the good thing is they'll meet on the court this season to decide it. They're definitely a final four contender though.

I wouldn't label Kansas as a tough team, however. They were jacked to play Tennessee today because UT is a ranked team with a good reputation. It reminds me alot of the way Arizona played against the Zags this year. This is the same team that lost to UMASS in Kansas City and got blown out at Arizona.

Watching the game, I believe the Zags can do the same thing they did in the first game against Tennessee and create opportunities through penetration with our guards. This Tennessee team doesn't guard the ball as well as teams from years' past and they don't play help defense as well. Pargo, Gray and Bouldin should have a field day against these guys if the press can be handled like it was in Orlando. The Zags are going to have to play tougher than the past two games to go into Tennessee and get a win. Time to get the season back on track with a big win.
                    GU Class of '07

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

No

Pitt might be the toughest team I've seen thus far. Wow, do they sock you in the mouth! Ask Georgetown.

Absolutely not......These are hard nosed, experienced city kids who were Big East bound from the time they began AAU ball....No way

Comment

• AustinDayeFan
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Dec 2008

Thanks for posting this topic, i was thinking the same thing during the Pitt game. I was very impressed with Pitt's team work and ball movement. They came down the floor swung the ball around and looked for open shots! It reminded me of our Zag's during the Old Spice Classic, boy do i miss it! I was also impressed with Pitt's point guard. His assists were truly remarkable!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

brooklyn

Originally posted by AustinDayeFan View Post
                          Thanks for posting this topic, i was thinking the same thing during the Pitt game. I was very impressed with Pitt's team work and ball movement. They came down the floor swung the ball around and looked for open shots! It reminded me of our Zag's during the Old Spice Classic, boy do i miss it! I was also impressed with Pitt's point guard. His assists were truly remarkable!
                          Levance Fields, Xaverian HS, Brooklyn, USA

Comment

• ambition
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Dec 2008

Pitt is the toughest team in the country... hands down... I truly believe they could beat NC... Ty Lawson would have a tough time against Pitt's PG.
                            ... And no Gonzaga will never get to the level Pitt is playing... i just think it isnt possible for this team to look like that, especially on the defensive side of things... Pitt has heart, but it goes much deeper than that, they simply have the desire to compete and they compete to win, not just compete to play. It is very obvious.

Comment

• NJZag
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

Ouch. Blair is something else again. But the way Greg is developing as a freshman, it might be a different game if Hoyas meet 'em again in the B.E. Tournament. Hoyas dispatched UConn pretty nicely on their home court, not long after their win at BIS against the Zags, and just as the overconfident CONNvicts were ripe for some of the same "trap" attitude that PSU exploited at K2. It happens.

DaJuan (the one who belongs to the Hoyas and not the DeJuan who belongs to Pitt) looked like the only awake player the first half; Monroe looked freshman-like compared to Blair the "space eating rebound machine" ( another fan's description, not mine) and the rebounding deficiencies (48-to-23 ouch) get carped about as much in HoyaLand as they do in ZagLand.

Oh well... a win against #2 on their court, a loss to #3 on the Hoyas "home" (rented Phone Booth) court with kids gone on vacation. Rankings mean little and matchups are everything. The expectations for the season were pegged by talking heads in the high teens for the Hoyas at best (and not in top 20 at worst), and their general trend has gone higher to be ranked at #11. Zags started out lofty, trend has been the opposite direction.

For both there's still a lot of season left.

Comment

Working...
                              X