PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Bounce Back

spudzag
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Lady Zag's dominate the Saint Joseph's Ladies from the first tip. Final score was 93-70 (I think). Eventhough Saint Joseph's had taller players GU was able to work the ball down low all night. Heather Bowman finished with about32 or 33 moving into 8th as the all time leading scorer. Kelly Bowen also had a great night with about 18 posting up and hitting from 3. I haven't seen the box score but I'd guess that three others were in double figures.

Pretty much everything that didin't work in the Tennessee game worked tonight. This is a fun team to watch. Just love their attitude and hustle. Go Lady Zags.

Zagineer
01-02-2009, 08:13 PM
It's so good to see this... Lady Zags bouncing back..... not getting down after the Tennessee game, but taking the next game straight on.

Bowman 33
Bowen 17 (Man! Is this lady going to be fun to watch the next 3 1/2 years, or what!)
Bekkering 16
Viv and Courtney 10 each
With contributions from Reader, Standish and Raap.

... And that's just the scoring. (I know, that's what counts, but it's the Rebounds, AST, TO, STL, BLK that make it happen.)

Viv 10, 6, 3, 2, 3 (WOW!!)
Courtney 0, 4, 4, 2, 0
Jannelle 8, 3, 2, 2, 1 (And another WOW!)
Kelly 3, 3, 3, 2, 0
Tatriana 0, 1, 3, 1, 0
Bowman 12, 2, 1, 1, 0 (12 rebounds. What can I say. Great performance from a great player.)
Shannon 3, 2, 0, 0, 0
Kayla 2, 0, 1, 0, 0
Clare 6, 1, 1, 0, 0

I can only see good and better things to come. :clap:

Aussie 1
01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Great to see the starting 5 all shoot double figures. Well done everybody, great game.

BobZag
01-03-2009, 09:06 AM
The Gonzaga University women’s basketball team started the new year off with a bang, defeating Saint Joseph’s University 93-70 in the Bulldogs final regular season non-conference game. Junior Heather Bowman poured in a career-high 33 points and is now eighth in the Zags career record book for points with 1,330. The Spokane native also grabbed 12 boards to register her 19th career double-double.

“We didn’t run a whole lot tonight,” said Zag head coach Kelly Graves.” We just played basketball. We relaxed and got into a great flow. We moved the ball around and worked it into Bowman and she had one of her nights.”

The Bulldogs closed out their non-conference slate with an impressive 12-4 record, while the Hawks dropped to 7-7 on the season.

“To be 12-4 against a pretty good schedule, I think we have put ourselves in good shape,” stated Graves. “We feel good about our record heading into conference play.”

All five starters finished in double-figure points for Gonzaga; the first time in 27 games. The last time all five Bulldogs starters recorded double-digits was against Pepperdine University on Feb. 8, 2008.

Besides Bowman, freshman Kelly Bowen also tallied a career-high in points, finishing with 17. Sophomore Janelle Bekkering added 16, while junior Vivian Frieson and sophomore Courtney Vandersloot each contributed 10 apiece. Frieson also had 10 boards, six assists, three blocks and two steals for an all-around strong effort.

“It was a good solid effort from everybody tonight,” explained Graves.

Gonzaga jumped on Saint Joseph’s early in the first half; building a 10-point advantage just six minutes into the contest at 16-6 after freshman Kayla Standish drained a three-pointer at the 13:20 mark.

The Hawks cut the Bulldogs lead to single-digits twice over the next six minutes, but, with the score 25-16; Bekkering drained a three-pointer to push the Bulldogs advantage to double-figures for good with 7:10 remaining in the opening half.

Gonzaga’s largest lead of the half was 17 and it went into the locker room with a 15 point edge at 44-29.

It took the Zags the opening two plays of the second half to push their lead to 20. Bowen drained a three-pointer after Bowman grabbed an offensive board followed by a Vandersloot jumper off an assist by Frieson.

GU seemed on cruise control until Saint Joseph’s started full court pressing the Zags. The Bulldogs, leading 62-41, were a little shaky with the press, which allowed the Hawks to rattle off a 15-5 run to slice their advantage to just 11 at 67-56 with 10 minutes left in the contest.

“We hadn’t seen that pressure before. They started knocking down shots and played some good defense and forced some turnovers,” explained Graves, whose team turned the ball over four times during Saint Joseph’s run.

The Bulldogs settle down though and used an 8-2 spurt of their own to put the game out of reach for the Hawks.

“I was proud of the team for working through their [Saint Joseph’s] run,” said Graves.

Gonzaga closed the game shooting a blistering 55.1 percent (38-69) from the floor, including 47.1 percent (8-17) from behind the three-point arc. The Bulldogs scored 40 points in the paint and had 22 second chance points. The Bulldogs, who had just a slight 20-16 rebound advantage at half, finished the game with a huge 45-29 edge on the boards.

Dominique Bryant led all scorers for Saint Joseph’s, finishing with 19. Bryant sank all seven of her shot attempts, including all four three-pointers. Her only hiccup in the game was missing one free throw.