PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't this hurt?

RidintheDempster
03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I guess I expected it. All along I just never thought we would win. I just didn't want to say anything prior to the game. In a sense there is a feeling of a great burden that has been lifted. I for one can move on and REALLY look forward to next year. I am already so excited with the new guys coming in. Through it all I do feel bad for Derek and Sean. It was a poor way to go out, but they did all that they could do.

GOZAGS FOR 07-08 FINAL FOUR!!!!

alaskazagnut
03-15-2007, 08:46 PM
He was being honest this time. Wait a minute.... or did it backfire. I am not sure which one.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
It hurts, but nowhere near the pain of last year, Nevada, or Wyoming. This team came as close to its potential as any Zag team that I know of.

Defeating UNC skewed the reality of this team. That victory raised the bar too high, too soon. It was as if "no Ammo, no JP, no problem!" Soon after that, we thumped Texas, raising the bar a few more notches. Let's face it, when we played UW, they certainly weren't a top 50 team, and floundered the rest of the year (9-12 in their last 21).

During that period, Josh must have been reading the press clippings, and didn't focus on the task at hand.

Through it all, those kids perservered, and took the best shots the WCC could give them. We all know that matchups are an important part of the NCAA tournament, and we didn't match up well against Indiana. Sampson knew that Raivio was the linchpin to our offense. Deny DR the ball, and force the rest of the team to beat you. Most of the time, that strategy worked well against us, and Indiana certainly executed it tonight.

I think I'm going to take a breather before thinking about next season...this season was tough on this alum, too.

BroncoZAG615
03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Its killing me. Its almost as bad as watching our UCLA game in person last year...Almost. I thought we could dictate the tempo of this game and we were totally forced into a style we can't play in. I let all the coverage and ESPN convince me that this would be all Zags. It's absolutely killing me.

ZagNative
03-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I guess I expected it. All along I just never thought we would win. I just didn't want to say anything prior to the game. In a sense there is a feeling of a great burden that has been lifted. I for one can move on and REALLY look forward to next year. I am already so excited with the new guys coming in. Through it all I do feel bad for Derek and Sean. It was a poor way to go out, but they did all that they could do.

GOZAGS FOR 07-08 FINAL FOUR!!!!
Weird. I opened the board intending to post something asking the question, "Why am I not depressed?" and there was your post doing it for me. From the opening bell this season, the buzz out of Few's camp was decidedly pessimistic, and from that moment on, with a few notable exceptions, this team has exceeded my expectations. I think there is only one guy who has anything to apologize for, and he wasn't on the floor tonight. Beside that, I'm ready to throw in the towel on my irritation with even that guy. By autumn, it will be a whole new ball game.

What a year! I mean going back to the last game of the 2005 - 06 season, through the excitement of recruiting, the anticipation and tumult of the NBA draft, the coming of Micah, the incredible road schedule, the trouble with shrooms, and on and on.

Our friend The ZagPhish hinted he might be putting together a video retrospective on the year to post on YouTube. I can't wait to see what the year turns out to look like in the rear view mirror.

No sadness here in my corner, very little disappointment, no wories. It's all good.

alaskazagnut
03-15-2007, 09:05 PM
This doesn't hurt as much for me because I though we might not even win the conference tournament without Josh. Not because Josh is ALL THAT, but because the team chemistry was so drastically altered. We really pulled the WCC trophy out from under Santa Clara. They would have played better tonight. The team chemistry will return with or without Josh next year and the guys had better work on FT's and Turnover to assist ratios. Turn overs killed us in most of our losses. Sloppy ball handling and the inability to play up to the medias NBA hopes for all of our players.

RenoZag
03-15-2007, 09:12 PM
I was proud of the team for overcoming many obstacles and winning their conference & conference tourney championships. I felt anything beyond that success was a bonus. This year, no bonus.

Tonight the Hoosiers were the better team and sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other guy.

GPZagFan
03-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Man...I dunno...perhaps it's just me, but I feel like this really sucks, for lack of a better term. I mean, with the Zags, you just can't count them out, even if they aren't projected to be some fantastic team. The nay-sayers can say "I told you so" all they want, but when their team faces GU, they are not comfortable, nor confident. The Bulldog reputation may have faced various obstacles this year, but the reputation of their game/fight is hard to tarnish.

Perhaps I'm overly-romanticized by this team, and perhaps every fan feels this way about his/her team...but there's a child-like approach to sports that wraps around me every time this year, carelessly tossing stats and sensability into the wind as I gear up to watch GU take the floor in March.

Yea...it sucks. :)

This squad surely gave me a run for my money as a fan. Plenty of highs and lows...so, as far as the year goes, I am far from disappointed.

My best goes out to Derek and Sean - they showed what senior leadership is all about.

Here's to next year!

Cheers.

zagfan08
03-15-2007, 09:17 PM
it hurts, yes, but no where near last year

i felt the zags could have made a championship run last year so to lose in such a heartbreaking way really hurt

this year i feel the zags reached their potential. did i think they would win today? yes. but was this a team that had the pieces to go deep in the tourney? probably not.

23dpg
03-15-2007, 09:22 PM
I am mildly depressed. Last year it was much worse.:mecry:

On the bright side, my daughter's concert was nice.:adored:

TheZagPhish
03-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Our friend The ZagPhish hinted he might be putting together a video retrospective on the year to post on YouTube. I can't wait to see what the year turns out to look like in the rear view mirror.

Already started compiling the retrospective. :) It will take some time. I have many gigs of pics and video to sift through.

But like you ZN, I applaud this team - fugly loss notwithstanding. Tough year, tougher kids. I believe very, very few other teams could overcome what these Zags have this year and make the tourney. This team passed through the fire again and again and continued to make great things happen.

I certainly smiled and cheered a great deal more than I was frustrated this year. Thank you Derek and Sean for your years of work and delivery.

Despite the disappointments I've never enjoyed a season so much, and I have you all to thank for that. Wish I could buy you all beers.

ZagNative
03-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Already started compiling the retrospective. :) It will take some time. I have many gigs of pics and video to sift through.

TheZagPhish, don't hurry. For one thing, I know you'll need time to produce another masterpiece. But, more important, I believe that with the passage of time, we'll all gain better perspective on this season, and the distortions will be smoothed out.

meadgrad02
03-15-2007, 11:38 PM
So many people said they have come through so much. So what. that was a month ago, if you cannon get ready to get through a tourney game the way that they did, that is pathetic. It wasn't even like they were there. Derek din't even do anything to get open and i thin that is the coaches fault for not getting him open.

ZagNative
03-16-2007, 01:11 AM
So many people said they have come through so much. So what. that was a month ago, if you cannon get ready to get through a tourney game the way that they did, that is pathetic. It wasn't even like they were there. Derek din't even do anything to get open and i thin that is the coaches fault for not getting him open.

Whether or not the team or the coach deserve any passes for the loss tonight is really beside the point of this thread, IMO, MeadGrad.

Not infrequently, one of our friends here on the GU Board has come here after a bad loss and expressed dismay about how devastated he or she felt about the loss, maybe even spilling over into affecting relationships or responsibilities away from basketball. Some wonder, "Is there something wrong with me that I take this stuff so seriously, when it's just a game after all?" After last year's loss, for example, I immediately took to bed, curled up in a ball for the night. When I woke up, I wouldn't allow myself to even think about basketball for a good two months. The depression hung on for days. I wondered about my values that a game, over which I had no control, would affect me so negatively. That's the stuff of treatises on fan psychology (and pathology) all over the world as riots erupt during soccer matches.

In light of last year's trauma, I was therefore quite surprised when no post-game anger or depression bubbled to the surface after tonight's first-round tourney loss. I wondered what was different this year and looking back I realized my expectations were not nearly as high as they had been last year, for a number of reasons, including observing all the difficult challenges the team faced this year.

Why sometimes do losses leave us flattened or destructive of ourselves and others, and why do they other times seem to hardly leave a mark? If sports are a metaphor for life, isn't there food for thought there in dealing with everyday disappointments? Or is it more productive to spit out vitriol against players and coaches to whom one purports to have loyalty?

SintoZag
03-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Man, I really needed this thread! Just like ZagNative, I usually curl up in a ball and aviod this sight and anything basketball for a month, but this time the loss really didn't hurt. I think it was because I had someone to blame and we really did over perform. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, but the UNC and Texas games upped my expectations so high, that the four game skid became a letdown. Thanks for an interesting season guys, I can't wait until next year.:)

gonzagulous
03-16-2007, 05:31 AM
I only have a mildly queasy feeling today, which is better than the UCLA, Nevada, and Wyoming losses where I ran around breaking things after the game and then curled up in a ball and refused to talk about the game for about a month.

The only reason it does hurt is because we didn't lose a hard-fought, up and down, nail-biting battle of a game. We were down and stayed down against a mediocre team who we could have beaten if we played like we had been playing lately. That hurts.

And now I have to hear a bunch of crap from my coworkers, since I'm the Gonzaga guy at work. "Nice one GonzAAAAga!! Maybe they would have won if they weren't so tired from doing drugs the night before!"

*Sigh*

ZaginLaw
03-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Good post. There is a lot to be said of the skewed perception of the UNC, Texas and UW (ranked #8 in the nation at that time) wins. Great point on the 9-12 in their last 21.

This was the first true rebuilding year the Zags have had in a long while, throw in the JH arrest and this team still won the WCC and went to the Big Dance.

I think 9 to 10 months ago everyone was talking about 10 losses this season would not suprise anyone. Well, 11 losses it is.

Birddog
03-16-2007, 05:49 AM
"Nice one GonzAAAAga!! Maybe they would have won if they weren't so tired from doing drugs the night before!"

A friend and OSU alum called last night during the game (when it was still close) and told me he couldn't look at the team without thinking of "### and shrooms". He wasn't just trying to gig me either, he's not that kind of guy.

Birddog

wazZag
03-16-2007, 07:36 AM
It hurts, but nowhere near the pain of last year, Nevada, or Wyoming. This team came as close to its potential as any Zag team that I know of.

Defeating UNC skewed the reality of this team. That victory raised the bar too high, too soon. It was as if "no Ammo, no JP, no problem!" Soon after that, we thumped Texas, raising the bar a few more notches. Let's face it, when we played UW, they certainly weren't a top 50 team, and floundered the rest of the year (9-12 in their last 21).

During that period, Josh must have been reading the press clippings, and didn't focus on the task at hand.

Through it all, those kids perservered, and took the best shots the WCC could give them. We all know that matchups are an important part of the NCAA tournament, and we didn't match up well against Indiana. Sampson knew that Raivio was the linchpin to our offense. Deny DR the ball, and force the rest of the team to beat you. Most of the time, that strategy worked well against us, and Indiana certainly executed it tonight.

I think I'm going to take a breather before thinking about next season...this season was tough on this alum, too.

My thoughts exactly. This tumultuous season forced Zags fans to take heavy doses of reality late in the season. There was no, "what if they made it to the final four" 's or other exceptionally lofty goals this year. I was happy to see GU dancing again. Take the Huskies for instance: I can't even imagine the disappointment their fans felt this season, they seemed upon the verge of getting it together, and they have nothing to show for it. Hawes could potentially leave, etc. I say this not as a UW-hater but as a case study, things could be much much worse.

McZag
03-16-2007, 07:51 AM
This feels good compared to last year. The loss to UCLA left me in a 5 day depression. This team did just fine considering their age, experience, depth, the loss of Morrison, Batista and Knight, and the Josh factor. My expectations are satisfied. I cant say that I'm impressed with IU though. They will get schooled tomorrow. But I am at peace with what the Zags accomplished.

treehorn
03-16-2007, 08:30 AM
It was time for someone to put a bullet in the season. Write it off as Gonzaga's Annus Horribilis.

Zag79
03-16-2007, 02:48 PM
this season doesnt hurt nearly as much as last year. in all reality last years team failed miserabley in comparison to this team, i dont get the whining. the cupboard was bare and yet the team still produced a feast for us.

TrueLiz
03-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I was still rather bummed by the loss, because I was excpecting them to lose to UCLA on Saturday, but I was confident that they would come out ahead against Indiana. I recall last year though, waking up the day after the UCLA game, and honestly thinking it had to have been a dream, because there's no way the season actually ended that way. Even that game likely would've been easier if they hadn't led so much for most of the game, and then collapsed.

But alas, there will always be another year.

RebornZag
03-16-2007, 07:31 PM
"i dont get the whining. the cupboard was bare and yet the team still produced a feast for us." from Zag79. I love this line Zag79, and I missed all your posts in the last couple of weeks. Where have you been? I'm glad you dropped by to leave a post....Well, how do you feel now that Drav is moving on? I hope you'll stay around....It was always nice interacting with you, and sometimes dishing out a little sh__ _ with ya. Just like good friends would do.

bigblahla
03-17-2007, 07:53 AM
In the beginning I for one didn't think the cupboard was bare. Not getting LG into uniform and losing Theo to a diving drill that kind of changed some things.

We need more Pendo next year a whole lot more of the Brewster Rooster, who ever coined that, brilliant!

Big "THANK YOU" to Derek & Sean, gone but not forgotten.

This was one heck of a ride.

Next year will be interesting to say the least.

Why wasn't PMac on Wilmont?

Go!! Zags!!!

Birddog
03-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Brewster Rooster, who ever coined that, brilliant!
I agree, that's a good one and I'm reasonably certain it is a "Bowserism". Figures, don't it.

Birddog

Zag79
03-19-2007, 01:27 PM
hey reborn... i have been around, i just wait a bit after a tourney loss to come on in hopes of missing most the BS. and dont worry, ill be here as always DR or not. when people you know get bashed by few posters with made up info i will always post a factual rebuttel. with the guys i know from this year coming back im sure ill be doing the same thing next year at times with the children on board. ;) great season though, and i already cant wait until next season.