• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • honestZag
    Banned
    • Dec 2008

It is ALL Arizona's Fault!!!

IMO- A lot can be blamed on the Arizona game for our downward spiral.

We went into Phoenix confident, loose, spirited. Talking about going undefeated (at least Matt was) even.

AND THEN- Josh met Jordan Hill, Jeremy was introduced to Nic Wise, and Micah and Matt found out Chase Budinger was more than a future Spike and Dig participant.

Yes we played good vs. UConn, but we have been playing like we were put in the corner since UA. Maybe we need a speech from a guy who spent some time in Arizona??? Dennis Green! He could tell us that "We are who we thought we were!" We ARE who we THOUGHT we WERE!!!
  • HOOTER
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Sometimes it seems to me this team consists of a bunch of drama queens. They thought they were unbeatable (some of them, anyway). They thought they were easily one of the best teams in the country, and were playing as such. Then they ran into a buzz saw called Arizona. They went from being on top of the world to being in the dumps instantly. They didn't seem to have the mental strength to overcome, get back up on the horse and battle on. They were supremely confident, and when that confidence was tested they collapsed like a house of cards. Of course the players are really just kids who need guidance and direction so you can't put all the blame on them. Few and staff allowed the team to hang their heads and progressively deteriorate. It seems like the entire team, including the coaching staff, has lost their way and allowed their spirit to be broken. If coach Few isn't going to get this team back on track, one of the players is gonna have to wipe the blood off his chin, dust himself off and take this team on his shoulders. Now is the time for someone to step up and fix this teams broken morale.

Comment

• honestZag
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

Hoot

Sounds like we are on the same page. I for one believe Ira should be rewarded with a start! He was THE LEADER in the summer while Pargo was off testing the NBA draft situation. He had them putting in off-season work. Hitting the weight room. Calling everybody to hold them accountable.He organized it. He had them doing the "Richard Fox" boxing. HE is a "tough guy."
      He was the one telling Austin to turn off the Disney Channel or put the X-Box away that it was time for practice! HE is 26yrs old!

We need more scoring off the bench and a role player to bring other things to the starting lineup other than shots and points. Like you said, we need leadership. Few has always given his seniors the benefit of the doubt and over played them. Pendo rarely "looked for" or "created" his own shot. He got points the hard way and set an example and tone of hustle. Having Pendo on the floor doing all the intangibles gave others (Austin, Josh, Micah, Jeremy) the freedom and allowance to take more shots and get into a rythym.

Bringing Bouldin off the bench would solve another dilema. Steven Gray as the only "go to scorer" off the bench. Meech is coming around and I love his play. But he is still a bit raw. Matt off the bench would provide leadership, control and scoring. I know when I bring this up people think I am nuts and that Ira has been T/O prone, but the more he plays the more that goes away. I think Few is the crazy one, thinking Ira is a 4 or a 5! Just because he was so athletic it worked in JC. Put him in a place where he has an advantage.

Comment

• ambition
        Bulldog Fan
        • Dec 2008

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying...
        I really do think we need to find some more bench pressence...
        i think Ira should start or at least play in the first half more... instead of the coming off the bench in the second half.. he has his flaws, but he brings toughness and energy which is what is lacking for the team... maybe dont even give him the ball to score, just to play d and get boards...
        Foster is a good pressence and he needs to play more i believe...
        just like Josh needs to shoot more from the 3 and stop trying to play the post up as much.

Gray is a force to be reckoned with... he is damn good.. but we havent been getting him the ball at all when he is hot...
        but the Arizona game was a typical Gonzaga deer in the headlights game... they do this often.. not good!
        If you watch college basketball right now (other games besides the zags)
        watch the intesity level... it is 10 times more obvious than the zags... someone needs to be a GREAT leader on this team... Few also needs to make some better decisions as far as a game plan... especially on defense.

This also can go back to the AZ game.. we still dont have a smooth transition of breaking the press... that is COACHING... we look ridiculous when we get pressed and everyone should expect TENN and Memphis to press hard..

Comment

• Zag79
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

i love iras rebounding and d but honestly people, he is like playing 4 on 5 on offense. no shot, and no hands. we need the guys we started in the old spice classic to play more, and they will get consistent again.

Comment

• honestZag
            Banned
            • Dec 2008

once again

We do not need his shot, (which he CAN shoot) look at his JC stats when he was actually counted on to shoot! The height of the rim has not changed. Josh and Austin have not exactly prooving they can shoot lately for that matter!We need the other aspects of the game he brings. He is going to play, so I say start him, or would you rather have him coming off the bench and leaving Steven Gray as the only scoring option?
            Last edited by honestZag; 01-02-2009, 06:47 AM. Reason: nip tuck

Comment

• john montana
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Still blows me away the number of people that think the answer is Will Foster, or Ira Brown for that matter.

Ira is a role player...a good one, but a role player. He's not going to single handedly reverse our current fortunes.

Personally...I want to see Downs come around. I do not know the kid and have no idea what to say to him to bring him around but he should be one of our top players. Our core guys are good enough...they just need to play like it. I am frustrated and have 0 answers here...the coaches need to figure out how to get our core guys back on the same page and playing together again.
              john montana
              http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ZaggyZaggerson
                Bulldog Fan
                • Mar 2007

Scheduling....

I think part of the trouble with the tough non-conference scheduling is that Few doesn't want to show too much of what he wants to do before conference play starts. You will see a better team when WCC play starts and different wrinkles. The schedule is tough and should be, but it also means that the Zags will be keeping things closer to the vest, so as to not tip off WCC opponents.

Comment

• HOOTER
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ZaggyZaggerson View Post
                  I think part of the trouble with the tough non-conference scheduling is that Few doesn't want to show too much of what he wants to do before conference play starts. You will see a better team when WCC play starts and different wrinkles. The schedule is tough and should be, but it also means that the Zags will be keeping things closer to the vest, so as to not tip off WCC opponents.
                  So this team is losing key non-conference games because their saving their best for conference opponents? Good God I hope that's not true, and I'm sure it's not. If you have what it takes to beat top-notch teams then it really doesn't matter if WCC opponents have access to your entire playbook. Your going to beat most of them badly regardless. The truth is that Few is throwing everything he's got at ooc opponents and it's not working. Part of the problem is that he is using all his weapons and it has proved counter-productive. It's my opinion, and some others here, that he needs to actually scale it back a bit and simplify. His system is designed to make a team of largely unrecruited no-names and turn it into a competitive, winning program. The problem is that this team does not consist of the type of players it once did. Few doesn't need a complex system to make up for a lack of talent. This years team is arguably more talented than any ever before. He doesn't need to take these guys and mold them into good basketball players like he has so effectively done in the past. They were good players from the moment they joined the team. Simplify the system and let their talent and instincts take over. Just my opinion.

Comment

• ambition
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Dec 2008

that is the most pathetic theory i have ever heard in organized sports... im sorry but that is the way i feel

Comment

• JAGzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Nothing personal, but it's comments like this that other boards and fans tee up on and that make Zag fans in general look bad. Seriously, do you really think we're not bringing our A game against A talent to confuse and disorient C teams in the WCC?

Comment

• Zag79
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

This years team is arguably more talented than any ever before. He doesn't need to take these guys and mold them into good basketball players like he has so effectively done in the past. They were good players from the moment they joined the team. Simplify the system and let their talent and instincts take over. Just my opinion.
                        this is exactly what they need. it seems as if they are overthinking it at times.

Comment

• HOOTER
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Zag79 View Post
                          this is exactly what they need. it seems as if they are overthinking it at times.
                          I agree that their over thinking it, which is part of the reason why I think simplifying the system could be beneficial. They were playing so well at the beginning of the season when, as I understand it, Few's system is at it's simplest. Things get more complex as the season progresses and the poor play may be a symptom of that. The addition of new plays and strategies has seemed to weigh very heavily on the players and has cluttered their minds. These guys don't need to memorize a playbook the size of a phonebook to be effective players. They really don't need coach Few to teach them how to play basketball, they need him to get everyone on the same page by establishing a relatively basic gameplan and then stand back and let them do what they do. Let them have fun and play loose, or get over-involved, fry their brains with all sorts of complexities and continue to lose games. The bottom line is that if their over thinking it, it's a direct result of how they've been coached.

Comment

• ImissPendo
                            Redshirt
                            • Jan 2009

Jud? Marv? Help!

Zags have a unique situation – they have two athletic 6-11 guys, yet have no discernible low-post offense. (Alley-oop slams don''t count – they're hardly a consistent low-block threat).

Could we see if Jud Heathcote could conduct a clinic with Heytvelt and Daye (and the coaches?) on the old high-low post offense? Marv Harshman, at 93, could probably help, too.

Otherwise we will watch the team's fortunes rise or fall on the vagaries of 3-point prayers.

Josh, Austin, forget Dirk Nowitzki! Give us J.P. Batista!!

Comment

• MedZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HOOTER View Post
                              Sometimes it seems to me this team consists of a bunch of drama queens.
                              *biting tongue*

Originally posted by honestZag View Post
                              He was the one telling Austin to turn off the Disney Channel or put the X-Box away that it was time for practice!
                              *tongue is bleeding*

Originally posted by HOOTER View Post
                              The addition of new plays and strategies has seemed to weigh very heavily on the players and has cluttered their minds.
                              *gives self glossectomy*
                              Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
                              You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

Working...
                              X