PDA

View Full Version : I'm A Believer

Reborn
01-01-2009, 09:29 AM
The Zags played a lot harder last night, and I was glad to see that. Matt was busting his butt off, and I appreciate that. He had two really good steals in the later part of the game. The last one was an incredible play. Pargo was playing very good defense down the stretch, and I appreciated that effort. Josh rebounded harder the second half then I've seen him rebound all year. And I thought overall we did a great job defending Nevel. I enjoyed this game much better than the Portland St. because I saw these guys fighting for it down the stretch. Austin missed two shots and a put back that he could have made. At least the shots were all there. I think last night's game is going in the right direction.

The Zag's have lost their confidence shooting. The reason we lost is pure and simple, and it's the reason we've lost all our games. Our outside shooting is really not good, and our free throw shooting is not good. At least last night we were attacking the rim more and got to the free throw line more. Pargo and Gray both shot 9 FT's. As a coach I'd be pleased with them taking it inside more. Attack the basket more. Matt was doing it a little but he needs to do it more. Boulding only shot 2 FT's and he is our best FT shooter. He MUST get to the line more.

The Zags shot 15% from the 3Pt line. We made 2 shots. That's why we lost. That and FT's. Do you tell the guys to quit shooting from there? The answer is NO. You never tell a shooter to quit shooting. They HAVE TO keep taking those open 3's. The 3's we shot were all good shots, and overall a lot more of them will fall. I just liked the balance between attacking the basket and shooting 3's. I thought it was pretty even, and I like that.

I don't have the sick feeling in my stomach that was there all week after the Portland St. game. I saw what I needed to see in order to feel better, and hopeful. This team is really in a rut, has lost it's confidence, and the good news is we have a long time to work it out. One thing is certain, We have not peaked early this year....:D And that is a plus. It's all uphill from here. Will and Meech both looked real good last night. Meech had his best offensive game all year, and shot much better from the foul line. Foster was awesome on Defense. I think he will be a very good back up for Josh.

This is not the time to give up on these guys. They need our support. Yes, they are facing adversity. The losses have taken their toll. Let's support these guys during this time, and us having a more postive attitude, us maintaining our belief and confidence in them CAN help. I lost my confidence more than once as an athlete and in life. Whenever I lost my confidence it was always others who helped me find it again. They just kept telling me how good I was. This is a good Zag team. Very good. They are the same guys who won the Old Spice Classic. They are the same guys who have shot the llights out against WSU and Texas Southern. We will overcome this. If being a believer when in our darkest time is called a kool aid drinker, then call me that. But I'm not givin up on these guys.

IdahoZagFan
01-01-2009, 09:35 AM
We agree, Reborn. We want the players and coaches - the team - to know that, whenever they play hard, we appreciate them. We are ZAG supporters. We wish the ZAGS well as they head into the New Year!

HOOTER
01-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I appreciate your optimism Reborn, and I agree that this team may be on the upswing, but I'm having a hard time being as exuberant as you. The way this team has performed thus far leads me to believe that a deep run in the NCAA tourney is once again unlikely. Were essentially looking forward to conference play to salvage the season. The WCC is greatly improved, but is still dominated by RPI killing cupcakes. The Zags badly needed to prove their worth in the non-conference, and although they started strong, they have now managed to let it slip away and legitimized the naysayers. The season is far from over, and there is a few huge games yet to be played, so there is good reason to hold on to hope. I'm going to give this team my support regardless of what happens, but I can't pretend my confidence isn't fading fast.

GonzagaDynasty
01-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I agree 100%. they arent hitting their outside shots and Josh isnt doing anything inside.. The effort and rebounding is improving though.

hondo46
01-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Pretty much agree with Reborn. The confidence issue IMHO is a result of the schedule from hell. Teams use the at home part of their schedules to build confidence. Our Zags for the most part have not yet had an at home" part of their schedule and now we are off to where? It is good news to hear the Coach Few has said that he may rethink future scheduling. Forget about the damn seeds, forget about the damn draft, forget about the damn polls. Lets schedule in a way that develops our team to be the best they can be and let all the other stuff take care of itself.

Ezag
01-01-2009, 10:39 AM
We shouldn't have no confidence with a team like Utah. For Pete's sake they lost to a Div II school.

No team chemistry is the real problem. A lot of individually great players, but a great team this is not

jim77
01-01-2009, 10:42 AM
It was nice to see us finally rack some fouls on our opponent. I'm kinda surprised our 3's are not droppping more...we have good shooters. As tough a place as Knoxville is to play....we're due. GO ZAGS.

HOOTER
01-01-2009, 10:44 AM
The confidence issue IMHO is a result of the schedule from hell.

Really? So you're saying the Zags should play a weak conference and non-conference schedule? The only thing keeping the Zags in the tourney year after year is a tough non-conference schedule. If they start scheduling cupcakes at home every year you can kiss the NCAA tourney goodbye. What they need to do is continue playing a brutal non-conference schedule and start winning more consistently, which we all know their capable of. Easier said than done? Yes, but the difference between contenders and pretenders is the ability to compete and win against the best competition available.

Ezag
01-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Really? So you're saying the Zags should play a weak conference and non-conference schedule? The only thing keeping the Zags in the tourney year after year is a tough non-conference schedule. If they start scheduling cupcakes at home every year you can kiss the NCAA tourney goodbye. What they need to do is continue playing a brutal non-conference schedule and start winning more consistently, which we all know their capable of. Easier said than done? Yes, but the difference between contenders and pretenders is the ability to compete and win against the best competition available.

Agreed 100%

ZagNative
01-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree with both Reborn (about optimism) and with Hondo (about scheduling). Coach Giacoletti talked on the radio pregame show about how the scheduling had limited the coaching staff's ability to teach because the kids had to spend all their practice preparing for the next game.

I'm puzzled about why I don't feel worse about the Utah loss. I think maybe I was just tired of the hype and the schizophrenic nature of so many of the posts here this season. I couldn't bring myself to read all the Final Four threads and all the treads predicting 20-point win margins, expecting the inevitable meltdowns that would surely follow here. Now, I can take it or leave it, all with a grain of salt.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out.

MississppiZag
01-01-2009, 11:13 AM
The schedule is pointless. It is not toughening up this team. It is destroying our previous confidence. Look at Butler's schedule(not knocking it, because i wish Few would do the same thing). Butler plays Ohio State, Xavier, and UAB, and that is it. The rest are mid majors and an easy conference.

Few should do the same thing. We should play Memphis, Tennessee, Washington, and Utah consistently. Playing the pre-season tourneys, UConn, Arizona, and Indiana is pointless. We need to get to conference play with 2 or 3 losses every year and some confidence like we did in the earlier part of the decade. Instead we get their with 5 or 6 every year. Keep the cupcakes, the 4 games i mentioned, and the Portland State game.

Look at next year's schedule: @Illinois, Washington State, Utah, Oklahoma, @Memphis, Tennessee, and either @UConn or home against Arizona. That will again result in the same tiring of the players and probably lead to a bad loss or two. Hopefully he drops the UConn and Arizona games, and picks up Texas Southern and Northern Colorado. We need 5 tough games OOC. Thats it.

Butler's brilliant and effective scheduling results in a consistent 3-6 seed. We should think about that.

Ezag
01-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I see where you are coming from - good point!

Bulldog
01-01-2009, 11:32 AM
At least the bullseye on our back is shrinking. No big deal playing a team ranked out of the top 25. We will be able to get our confidence back. Great reverse psychology by the coaches.

AustinDayeFan
01-01-2009, 11:37 AM
We shouldn't have no confidence with a team like Utah. For Pete's sake they lost to a Div II school.

No team chemistry is the real problem. A lot of individually great players, but a great team this is not

You hit it right on the money my friend! "No Team Chemistry"! I remember the chemistry last season, and I miss it a lot! I really feel bad for the team, I hope our redshirts fix this problem in years to come :) I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM WATCHING THE ZAG'S LOSE, IF THEY PROVED THEY GAVE IT 100% ALONG WITH TEAM EFFORT!

HOOTER
01-01-2009, 11:48 AM
The schedule is pointless. It is not toughening up this team. It is destroying our previous confidence. Look at Butler's schedule(not knocking it, because i wish Few would do the same thing). Butler plays Ohio State, Xavier, and UAB, and that is it. The rest are mid majors and an easy conference.

Few should do the same thing.

We need 5 tough games OOC. Thats it.

We won't get enough tough matchups in the WCC to make up for the soft ooc schedule though. The selection committee will recognize the easy schedule and punish Gonzaga for it, guaranteed.

Essentially this is a concession that the Zags are not a legit national powerhouse. They can't hang with the big dogs so they need to beat up on the little guy to make up for it. This strategy will not help their cause one bit. A softer schedule amounts to abandoning everything this team has fought for over the years and a one way ticket back into obscurity.

AustinDayeFan
01-01-2009, 11:58 AM
We won't get enough tough matchups in the WCC to make up for the soft ooc schedule though. The selection committee will recognize the easy schedule and punish Gonzaga for it, guaranteed.

Essentially this is a concession that the Zags are not a legit national powerhouse. They can't hang with the big dogs so they need to beat up on the little guy to make up for it. This strategy will not help their cause one bit. A softer schedule amounts to abandoning everything this team has fought for over the years and a one way ticket back into obscurity.

Maybe being left out is a good thing :) Maybe this would WAKE the team and coaches up, I wouldn't be shocked if we lose the WCC tourney and not make the big dance period! I hate to be negative, but I am sick and tired of people using the WCC as easy entrance into the big tourney, simply pathetic people! Few and company wanted a tough schedule and thats what they got! Deal with it!

ambition
01-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Reborn! Are you serious... we played hard last night???? I will tell you the only two good things that i really saw last night at all were this
1) Pargo sat because he wasnt making good decisions, and then came back into the game and he took over the game for a couple of min(like he use to and should do everytime)
2)Gray has been showing he is a good player, but gonzaga whether it is our pg or Few doesnt recognize that when a player is hot, get him the damn ball, id rather see that than Ira taking open three's.

Bouldin did ok, but playing hard isnt enough for this team, because they all dont play hard, Daye played like a pansy! And was acting like a baby out there. And just cause we missed threes doesnt mean that was the game decider... we missed many shots from the charity stripe too which could have wont he game for the zags.

And finally, it isnt about stats on the offensive end... yeah they missed shots, but you can totally see that Few is such a offensive minded coach that it is clear defense isnt in his mind, being interviewed at half time he hardly said anything about defense...
Intensity is not there, no ball swarming when the zags play man, no rebounding, and no communication... that is the reason they lost. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO STEP UP FOR ONCE ON THIS TEAM EMOTIONALLY AND GET SOME GUYS PUMPED UP

MississppiZag
01-01-2009, 01:14 PM

They don't punish Butler for it, why would they punish Gonzaga?

It makes no sense playing 5 tournament teams, 8 BCS schools(7 of them away from home), and all of this in a month's span.

Few has killed the team each of the last 3 year's because of rediculous scheduling. It just wears on the team. At least space it out properly. Again no more than 5 tough OOC games a year. Memphis, Tennessee, Utah, Washington State, and maybe a pre-season tourney every year. That is all it takes to make up for our weaker conference schedule.

It continues to take our confidence away as well as our legs. I honestly would not be surprised to see a double digit loss against Tennessee, followed by a nail biter against Portland three days later.

ambition
01-01-2009, 01:21 PM
great theory there about the TOUGH Schedule... however i see that we did pretty good against the teams like Tenn and Uconn, but how is it that our confidence cant overcome schools who loose to D-2 schools like PSU and Utah...
The theory would be great, but if you start thinking like that then you have no stride for your team to succeed... i mean the theory is great maybe for a high school program... but this is D-1 its time to get tough, these players clearly arent mentally, and i dont think it has anything to do with their schedule, i really do wish that gonzaga would play UNC and PITT instead of PSU or Utah...
No team except for one or maybe two in the WCC hold a chance against the zags.. so we all thought at least... but i dont agree with scheduling fewer games against powerhouses just to get our record and confidence better...

75Zag
01-01-2009, 01:34 PM
I thought final 4 was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for Zags.
NCAA was out to get us
That's the way it seemed.
Disappointment haunted all my dreams.

Then I saw them play, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm in love, I'm a believer!
I couldn't leave them if I tried.

I thought final 4 was more or less a given thing,
Seems the more I gave the less I got.
What's the use in tryin'?
All you get is pain.
When I needed sunshine I got rain.

Then I saw them play, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm in love, I'm a believer!
I couldn't leave them if I tried

P.S. Please stop labeling your posts with song titles.
I can't help myself.
Say . . . isn't that a song title too? Sugarpie, honeybunch . . .

gprep survivor
01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
GU's OOC schedule is the basis for its entire program.
Why would a good recruit play for GU if they were only going to play 5 major games a year and possiblly the tourney?

Few has been brilliant for understanding that if you want a serious program and you are in a crap conference you need to schedule an insane OCC schedule.

hondo46
01-01-2009, 07:40 PM
No one is suggesting going to a weak ooc but 4 pre conference home games is not in the best interest of developing team confidence

HOOTER
01-02-2009, 08:23 AM
No one is suggesting going to a weak ooc but 4 pre conference home games is not in the best interest of developing team confidence

I do agree they spend way too much time on the road. They need to play a tough ooc schedule to make up for the relatively weak WCC, but it would be nice to give them a few more games at home, for them and the fans. Life on the road doesn't seem to suit them well lately.