PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Zags will be better than 2009 Zags

MississppiZag
12-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Better depth and a true Point Guard to set up an offense(not a cheap shot at JP, just see him as a combo guard, Meech more of a pass first PG). Meech will run an offense, and it would help if Few designed more plays like the Bouldin backdoor cut at the end of the Utah game. 2010 Gray and 2010 Bouldin will better than the 2009 versions. Daye will obviously be better if he returns. Kong is better than Downs. Arop and Gibbs good backup guards. Arop is a scoring machine as well as a great rebounder. We will actually have a post presence in Dower and Poling. From the 5 games i have seen of Dower(Vegas), the day he steps on the GU floor, he will already be a better back to the basket post and more aggressive rebounder compared to anyone on the Gonzaga roster(as far as post moves and rebounding ability). A great rebounder and defender in Sacre will be the statement maker in the paint on D.

The most improvement will be the slashers and rim attacking players we will be seeing in Kong and Arop. To much standing around on the perimeter for my liking. Not enough driving. Everyone get ready to see Kong, he will be a double digit scorer. The depth at the post will be better(Dower, Daye, Sacre, and Poling compared to Daye and Heytvelt this year).

Nay-sayers feel free to mark this particular thread. I will stand by it until proven otherwise. No one can convince that this team will get past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament. The word potential and talent are being over-played in Zag country.

That is all, feel free to discuss.

RenoZag
12-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Let's just hope the 2009 portion of the 2008-2009 team makes a comeback. . .

MississppiZag
12-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Agreed. I would love to see them make a run, but with Tennessee coming up, 4 straight losses will be tough to bounce back from.

surfmonkey89
12-31-2008, 06:35 PM
"We'll get 'em next year" and we haven't even played our first conference game...

MississppiZag
12-31-2008, 06:39 PM
I know seems a little earlier than usual, huh?

johnwzag
12-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Well. We need a big man down low. We don't have that and we cannot shoot the three well enough either. We need a big man. We need a big man. man oh man do we need a big man.

75Zag
12-31-2008, 06:43 PM
The Zags'll win out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be wins!

Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow
'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck a day
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh!

The Zags'll win out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
We'll win one Tomorrow!
You're always
A year
A way!

MississppiZag
12-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Agreed. That area will be improved, with added depth. The Sacre injury is really hurting. I love Heytvelt. It is not his fault. Just wish we had a post to throw at Center and allow Heytvelt to play the PF. That is a glaring weakness with this year's squad. Damn. why did Sacre have to get injured?:(

drnoe
MZ - I'm not giving up, but you're right about Meech...the kid is going to be a damn good one. I've seen enough of Daye to clearly realize he will likely need to stay all four years to maximize his NBA potential. I love the guy, but he needs to stay. Austin Daye as a college senior is a very scary prospect for opposing teams. I honestly see Gray being an All-American. What a team the Zags will be in 2010-11 if Daye and Gray stay put.

MississppiZag
Well put 75Zag.

I, too, am not giving up. Just the lowering of expectations is all.

1973Zag
Lets starty the 2010 talk now, that way we can be final four material again without having to actually play any games!

RenoZag
12-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Lets starty the 2010 talk now, that way we can be final four material again without having to actually play any games!

:)

PHXzag
12-31-2008, 06:49 PM

WOOHOO!!! I can't wait, wake me up when it starts

jazzdelmar
12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
this thread is pathetic..as pathetic as the team's efforts the last few games....so some 3 star Canadian high school kids are gonna get us to the 2nd weekend? polly polly polly.....can u say altidor cespedes?

RenoZag
12-31-2008, 06:53 PM
this thread is pathetic. . .

How do you really feel ?

MississppiZag
12-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey man, Arop is a 4 star from Canada. :)

Sorry to upset you. Kong and Arop are not afraid to attack the rim as Downs and Bouldin seem to be.

And no those Canadian kids will be a piece of the puzzle that makes next year's team better than this year's. Probably still not second weekend material.

ambition
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
I think the zags need a pg who doesnt listen to the NBA scouts as much (Pargo) and a true big man, not a 6-11 guy like Josh who occasionally has done "ok" in the last two games... someone who is strong downlow... we were ranked 4th and we didnt even have a real downlow pressence? something is wrong with that...
and finally players who have some aggression on going to the rim... not just one or two guys... all five out there.

jazzdelmar
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey man, Arop is a 4 star from Canada. :)

Sorry to upset you. Kong and Arop are not afraid to attack the rim as Downs and Bouldin seem to be.

yea, they play tough h.s. ball on the mean streets of alberta, banff, montreal, wherever the heck they are from......4 star there is 2 here, adjusted for currency and talent

jazzdelmar
12-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I think the zags need a pg who doesnt listen to the NBA scouts as much (Pargo) and a true big man, not a 6-11 guy like Josh who occasionally has done "ok" in the last two games... someone who is strong downlow... we were ranked 4th and we didnt even have a real downlow pressence? something is wrong with that...
and finally players who have some aggression on going to the rim... not just one or two guys... all five out there.

gray is the only player who fits your bill...and he is the best player on the team right now, despite his awful foulshooting and often boneheaded passes....

MississppiZag
12-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Arop scored 20 and grabbed 11 rebounds against the best high school players in America in the FIBA nationals. Kong dropped multiple 30 point games against Marquette as well as Boise State. Both are playing against national competition in Canada. Everyone of the players from the Washington area on this roster played against the 6'5'' center and the 5'8'' point guard.

jazzdelmar
12-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Arop scored 20 and grabbed 11 rebounds against the best high school players in America in the FIBA nationals. Kong dropped multiple 30 point games against Marquette as well as Boise State. Both are playing against national competition in Canada. Everyone of the players from the Washington area on this roster played against the 6'5'' center and the 5'8'' point guard.

when did bong play agst marquette? i agree that the country boys play agst nobodies...i was talking abt 4 stars from cities with real tall buildings and playgrounds and more than one newspaper.....

MississppiZag
12-31-2008, 07:05 PM
His JUCO, i think, scrimmaged Boise State and Marquette as well as a few other colleges over the summer. Maybe last yr. I understand what you are saying, i just have a feeling the players will be more mature and hungry. Obviously could be wrong, having not seen them play yet. Hell Conf play hasn't even started.

The 3 straight losses is taking it's toll on my liver as well as posts. Still feel the same though. Maybe it will be better in the morning.

jazzdelmar
12-31-2008, 07:08 PM
His JUCO, i think, scrimmaged Boise State and Marquette as well as a few other colleges over the summer. Maybe last yr. I understand what you are saying, i just have a feeling the players will be more mature and hungry. Obviously could be wrong, having not seen them play yet. Hell Conf play hasn't even started.

The 3 straight losses is taking it's toll on my liver as well as posts. Still feel the same though. Maybe it will be better in the morning.

hang in there, MsZag...hope springs eternal...but there is a sameness that pervades Zags hoop failures over the years, it transcends individual players.....there is no leadership anywhere.....players, coaches, asst coaches....i miss DDD at times like this, tho he was an imperfect player, it just seemed like everything wd be ok....

MickMick
12-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Steven Gray must be the center of the Zag universe. Not in 2010, but starting now.

And I think that is exactly what you are going to see. I think that is how coach Few will attempt to stop the bleeding.

Rather than Jeremy driving the lane, down by three, 15 seconds left, and getting trapped. It should be Jeremy driving the lane, down by three, 15 seconds left, and kick the ball out to Gray.

These end of game situations require a designed play with Steven Gray as the first option for the shot as opposed to Jeremy "creating".

PS

Until Rob comes back or someone gets a knack for rebounding, the Zags are going to struggle.

Zags-Bsee
12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
No one can convince that this team will get past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

Tell me if we are hitting our 3's for more then 15% in the tourney?

If we are hot from 3, we can still beat anyone.

Overall, we are still a top team, it all comes down to intensity and how hot you are shooting. Wait and see.

zagzilla
12-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Kong better than Downs? Based on what? Is he even coming?

Poling an inside presence? We hear he's thinner than Daye

and so on....

Is this some sort of coping mechanism to help you get through the season? Stand with the team you have this year instead of abandoning them because they haven't lived up to your expectations

ZagLawGrad
12-31-2008, 07:55 PM
MZ Got any leads on the stock market in 2010? ;)

RenoZag
12-31-2008, 08:01 PM
MZ Got any leads on the stock market in 2010? ;)

Jesus Saves; Moses Invests. . .

johnwzag
12-31-2008, 08:14 PM

Very funny! I almost up for the idea.

honestZag
12-31-2008, 10:19 PM
For not trading Mark Few for ANY coach, you sure seem to not agree with his coaching or lack there of???

honestZag
12-31-2008, 10:30 PM
How many other Zag prospects have had NIKE commercials? Just search Bol Kong on Youtube and you will see why MZag feels the way he does. Micah is NOT afraid to attack the rim, but he is a VERY EMOTIONAL KID. He has never had stability (moving, family stuff, etc) and even in his BDZShow interview said it really effects him starting (psychologically). Few has not exactly instilled stability or confidence in him consistently. One Player, MZ did not mention that could be very key is Kelly Olynyk. He could be an absolute gem in the post!

MickMick
12-31-2008, 11:58 PM
For not trading Mark Few for ANY coach, you sure seem to not agree with his coaching or lack there of???

I have never disagreed with Mark Few's coaching.

Ever.

This seems to be the first group of players in memory that are not "getting it"

That's right.....I'm putting it on the players.

The players will come and go. Mark Few will stay.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

ambition
01-01-2009, 02:15 AM
great point about Gray, he just needs to take over!

Gray can ball, Gonzaga just doesnt seem to recognize who the hot hand is lately in the last two games.