PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Derek and Sean

zagfan08
03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Awesome Gonzaga careers. Tough loss but thanks for the memories.

brasszag
03-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I second, and triple, and quadruple again this sentiment.

There have been lots of great players that have worn the GU uniform.

Tonight two of the most tested of seniors wore it for the last time.

Derek Raivio - The all time NCAA FT accuracy record holder

Sean Mallon - A journeyman who was the epitome of the student-athlete ideal - stressing the student side.

May they have success and happiness in all they do.

They've earned it - and a toast is hoisted!

Vas heil. Drinc heil!

GU69
03-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes, awesome careers, Sean and Derek.

Two more Zags that we can be very proud of.

Zag509
03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
to Sean and Derek. Not they way you want it to end, but kudos on two Zags. Four times to the dance, great overall record, and...all in all, i thought a good senior season.

Sean Mallon & Derek Riavio....hats off.

Vanzagger
03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Great season!

alaskazagnut
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
This was their championship. This was their season.

I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER SEAN AN DEREK's UNWAVERING GONZAGA SPIRIT AND DRIVE AGAINST ALL ODDS, NAYSAYERS AND HATERS!!!!

Both of them had times where many doubted them on these boards and in the media. They proved worthy of forever being ZAGs.

I am still vastly honored to be a Zag, in part, because of Burgess, Stockton, Brown, Santangelo, Frahm, Spink, Hendrix, Dickau, Stepp, Turiaf, Morrison, Batista, AND NOW MALLON and RAIVIO.

Kaduce
03-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the memories guys!!!

FuManShoes
03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Both men played through more pain and adversity than we will ever know. Props to both for being consummate Zags, and best of luck transitioning to life after GU. Career highlights: Sean's game against Indiana last year and DRav's 20+ half last year when he made a bevy of circus shots. Both guys gave their all, sacrificed individual accolades and represented GU well. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

TheZagPhish
03-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I can't say it better than has already been said. It's hard to imagine this team without you guys! Thank you!

http://web.mac.com/srhampton/iWeb/SRHampton/Images/derek_sean.jpg

soonerterp
03-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Geez I feel like I should be at a wake, which is a severe and drastic comparison, but in a little small way I guess we do mourn when we have to say the last goodbyes to beloved seniors whose college basketball careers have ended but, fortunately, still have the rest of their lives ahead of them.

This outsider has enjoyed watching them play (except maybe for that time in Hawaii vs. Maryland ... ;) ).

Best of luck, always, to Messrs. Mallon and Raivio.

gonzagulous
03-16-2007, 05:07 AM
It's always awful at the end of the year saying goodbye to the seniors. Both of these guys played their hearts out this year, and they will be missed by us all.

Raivio - THE GREATEST FREE THROW SHOOTER IN NCAA HISTORY!!!! What an amazing and RIDICULOUS accomplishment!!! Congratulations Derek!

ZAGFAN78
03-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks for a GREAT season...........Good Luck to Rav and Mallon.

An idea for Mallon's new career..........he should be Heisters replacement!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/SEAHAWKS78/ZAGSWIN.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/SEAHAWKS78/ZAGSWIN3.jpg

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Bump Bump Bump

SWZag
03-16-2007, 07:07 AM
I can only second what's already been said. The work ethic of Sean and Derek can be a great inspiration to us all. I will definitely miss them and will soon be talking about them like I do the other stars and leaders of this great Gonzaga tradition. They are, in my book, two classy young men. I wish them the best in their future endeavors. I could not be more proud of this team.

Thanks for the great season!

SWZag

IrishZag
03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
One of the hardest things I've had to watch as a Zag fan is see Derrick and Sean stand helpless during the last 30 seconds of their college careers. Nobody wanted to see it end that way.

When I first saw these two guys step onto the floor, I distinctly remember thinking how were they going to play D1 ball. Then time and time again they came out and proved me wrong.

They always played hard, they always played for the team, and they came through when we needed them. What else could you ask for from a Zag?

Good Luck, we will miss you.

jonesed
03-16-2007, 07:40 AM
96.8 percent from the line! Well done Derek! Amazing.

wazZag
03-16-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm going to miss watching Derek play. I'll likely never see another guy shoot free throws like him, and will not see nearly enough that have a jumper like he does. Over the course of four years it becomes hard to imagine the zags without either of them. They will both make the school proud elsewhere.

gozagswoohoo
03-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks Drav and Mallon. You will be missed.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-16-2007, 09:51 AM
thanks fellas...you'll always be zags...good luck in your future endeavors...wish you nothing but the best...we'll miss ya

Bowser
03-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Derek and Sean, you don't know how all of us lazy, fat guys appreciate the hours you have put in representing the University and alums. You are true blue Zags.

Sean, if you family ever wants to kick you out, my family would adopt you, no questions asked. But you will have to grow out the beard. And do your own laundry

Derek, you have made all of us in Cootyville proud. You're a better shot than your Dad. Gonna miss seein' your shot.

Your Pal,

Bowser

lothar98zag
03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Good luck to both in whatever they do post GU hoops!

sittingon50
03-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks DRav & Sean for all the blood, sweat & tears. No question about your Zagginess.

Shanachie
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Let me add my thanks as well. It has been a pleasure watching both.

zagcheer78
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM
My thanks to you both and God bless yas!

mendiant
03-17-2007, 10:16 AM
This isn't goodbye. Families don't say goodbye.

Thank you Sean and Derek for the dedication and spirit you brought to the basketball team.

Their will always be little opportunities for reunions at future kennel games and there is Dickau's charity event during the summer, maybe some of us will be fortunate enough to see you in the stands or on the court at the MAC again.

Regardless, you have been and always will be an important part of the ever growing ZAG family, and we are proud of you and grateful for your talent as players and contributions as human beings.

Thanks guys, see you around :)

GonzagaLove
03-17-2007, 09:04 PM
even you must have a couple words for these guys?;)

ZagMania
03-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Raivio has been a favorite of mine since he was a freshman.. so this season has been very bitter sweet knowing he will be gone. Anyone else notice that at 8:13 in the Indiana game, after Raivio makes a layup and it goes into a timeout the announcer says something like "Who doesn't want to be .. Derek Raivio .. leader of this Gonzaga team". I wasn't sure when I watched it on TV, but I am rewatching it on MMOD and I'm almost positive that what he said.

Anyways, it will be weird cheering for this team without you guys, thanks for all the hard work and best of luck to the both of you.

BongKrosby
03-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Sean's career wasn't what we all had hoped as far as numbers go, but he was a winner. More importantly, he was the first real big recruit we landed. He could have gone to much bigger programs at the time, but he stayed home and that was the beginning of us recruiting national talent. If he goes to Kansas for instance, what would our team look like now?

Derek goes down as simply the best pure shooter to ever play at GU. That will be a tough title to take from him.

Zag 77
03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Sean is perhaps thinking about law school, I hear. As a academic all-american he will do just fine in whatever he chooses to do.

Derek will play somewhere for a few years. I beleive he was born in Europe, which should assist him in getting on a European roster somewhere and making some good money before he joins the real world with the rest of us.

sonuvazag
03-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Just want to add momentum to what's been said. Good luck in the great beyond, guys.

ZagMania
03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Just a suggestion, but how about someone leaves this as a sticky for a while longer, its not like the next season is coming too soon. Who knows, if they happen to stop by they should see this at the top.

Ziggy
03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
According to Bud Withers, Burgesses 80% FT percentage was a school best for at least 22 years. Derek's FT percentage is the school best, WCC best and NCAA best; how long do you all think it will stand?

UberZagFan
03-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Raivio - THE GREATEST FREE THROW SHOOTER IN NCAA HISTORY!!!! What an amazing and RIDICULOUS accomplishment!!! Congratulations Derek!

=Derek's FT percentage is the . . .NCAA best; how long do you all think it will stand?

Maybe I missed something but how is Ahearn's career percentage of 94.5% (435-460) not better than DRav's 92.7% (343-370) (both percentages are better than the previous record of 91.3% held by Gary Buchanan of Villanova--but DRav's percentage is not better than the 93.5% mark of DII's Paul Cluxton).

And for a single season, Ahearn's frosh numbers are 117 of 120 for 97.5%. DRav was 148-154 for 96.1% this season.

I'm certainly not trying to rain on DRav's parade as these are outstanding numbers, but if I'm going to be spouting off to my friends about how DRav is the NCAA record holder for FTs I want to be correct.

lawzag
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
DRav has the all-time FT record % because the "career" record for FT requires a minimum of a certain # of years in college (I think its 3) - someone who knows more correct me if I'm wrong...

PS - best of luck to both of your (DRav & Sean) in the years to come, you certainly gave me some of the most enjoyable moments of my life...watching you play!

UberZagFan
03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
DRav has the all-time FT record % because the "career" record for FT requires a minimum of a certain # of years in college (I think its 3) - someone who knows more correct me if I'm wrong...

Ahearn's got 4 years in (just like DRav) and also has more FT made/attempts.

UberZagFan
03-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Feel free to ignore the above. Ahearn is tops. DRav is second. Both beat the old record this year. Lothar, once again, set me straight (or at least, confirmed my straightness).

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=1721