12-23-2008, 07:32 PM
In our 3 losses, here are the scores with 2 minutes to go:

GU 62 Ariz 62
Zags outscored 7-2 and lose

GU 72 Uconn 68
Zags outscored 6-2 and lose in OT

GU 69 PSU 67
Zags outscored 10-1 and lose

These are the only 3 games we have played that have been close at the end and we have lost all 3. In each of these games we gave up big rebounds, we lacked poise on offense and got outhustled.

Where are our Bravehearts?

ZZ

Zaghuatanejo
12-23-2008, 08:19 PM
The TEAM is not doing a good job taking care of the ball in the last few minutes. There is little movement on offense, so players are forced to go one-on-one or try and do too much. They looked sluggish in person tonight. Just not a lot of energy. Bouldin was asserting himself offensively, Daye was trying, but that was about it. I was hoping Stephen would look for his shot a little bit more, especially attacking the basket, but they bodied him up well.

Frustrating, yes. End of the world, no. They have a few days to spend with family and forget about these losses. Come back re-energized and ready to kick some ass. There is plenty of time to turn things toward the positive again, they just need to regroup and come out with 40-min effort, no matter who the opponent may be.

MickMick
12-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Zags snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

How bad does Santangelo, Frahm, and Calvary "want it" with two minutes to go?

krozman
12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Zags snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

How bad does Santangelo, Frahm, and Calvary "want it" with two minutes to go?

QFT

dim4sum
12-23-2008, 08:59 PM
The disintegration at the end points out that for next year Few has to recruit a point guard that is consistent for 40 minutes and can do all the little things like steal balls, manage the floor, hold the team together, and generally play boring error-free basketball. Two cases in point: Steve Blake, once with Maryland, now with the Trailblazers, and Mitch Johnson of Stanford. They both know how to win and show up for every game.
Meech is not Pargo's successor. We need better.

Nevtelen
12-23-2008, 09:42 PM
The disintegration at the end points out that for next year Few has to recruit a point guard that is consistent for 40 minutes and can do all the little things like steal balls, manage the floor, hold the team together, and generally play boring error-free basketball. Two cases in point: Steve Blake, once with Maryland, now with the Trailblazers, and Mitch Johnson of Stanford. They both know how to win and show up for every game.
Meech is not Pargo's successor. We need better.

I would love for you to tell me how you know how well Meech is going to peform in the future based on the few minutes/game he's played as a freshman. Really. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Reborn
12-23-2008, 09:51 PM
The Zags weren't standing around tonight.....Austin missed an uncontested layup as he attemps to throw it through. Jeremy misses a slightly contested layup as Arizona doesn't want to foul him. It was an easy shot. Josh misses two put back attempts. these were all very good and very easy shots.

Much easier than Nelson's 3 pt shot.

There is something in basketball called doing what you NEED to do to win. Thats what winners do. They win. Something has happened to this team and I am not sure yet what it is. BUT something is wrong
The team has lost it's confidence.....

Stache
12-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Meech is going to be the third best point in GU history in four years....

Hextall7388
12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
I have to admit, I took this game lightly too. Typically I am glued to the TV when the Zags are on, but I figured it would be a blowout and I had some last minute x-mas shopping to do....I got home for the last 2 minutes.....what the hell happened?

I've been reading all of the posts tonight to try to get a handle on things. Lots of Pargo bashing and general complaints about the team's overall lack of rebounding, failure to play defense, being over confidennce and generally playing without heart. I know I'm probably going to get bashed for daring to point a finger at Coach Few, but some of the blame for what has gone on during the Arizona, UConn and Portland games has got to fall on his shoulders.

GUZagDenver
12-24-2008, 06:24 AM
In our 3 losses, here are the scores with 2 minutes to go:

GU 62 Ariz 62
Zags outscored 7-2 and lose

GU 72 Uconn 68
Zags outscored 6-2 and lose in OT

GU 69 PSU 67
Zags outscored 10-1 and lose

These are the only 3 games we have played that have been close at the end and we have lost all 3. In each of these games we gave up big rebounds, we lacked poise on offense and got outhustled.

Where are our Bravehearts?

ZZ

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. And great stats by the way. I was talking to a fellow GU grad last night about this, and it is basically all we talked about. As bad as we have play against bad teams, and as good as we play against good teams, we always end up in this position, and can NEVER close a game. When you get to the last 3 or 4 minutes, how you have played up to that point doesn't really matter. Close the game. As much as I love Few, this seems to be a distinct characterisitc of his teams. If you watch him, it looks like he is more tense then our players. It's so frustrating.

GUZagDenver
12-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Meech is going to be the third best point in GU history in four years....

I am just worried about Meech's shooting ability. He is fast and plays good defense at times, but his shot looks horrible. His form and confidence in his shot looks worse than Pargo's. Most great college point guards, and great Zag point guards, can shoot the lights out.

MickMick
12-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Meech is going to be just fine. With Arop, Kong, Dower, Gray, and Bouldin, the Zags will have plenty of firepower to score.

Will Meech have composure with the game on the line? I think he will. I look forward to watching him develop.

If Rob can rebound, the team will be good enough.

btzag
12-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Please lay off the freshman PG. Any comments on him lacking composure or struggling with an aspect of his game are ridiculous because EVERY freshman struggles a little unless you are Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo from last year. Plus any experienced Zag fan knows that Santangelo, Stepp, Raivio, and Pargo all had major areas to work on in their game as underclassmen to become the players they were later in their Zag careers. Give him time. I personally love his game and think it fits in perfectly with all the scorers that Few brings in. We don't need a PG to score 20 points in this system.

dim4sum
12-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Mark Few can learn a few things from coach Pearl of Tennessee. Pearl is relaxed, he's smiling, he's jolly, he's brash and his teams win. Uptightness at crunch time seems to be reflective of how the Zags play in the final two minutes.

PHXzag
12-24-2008, 08:40 AM
We don't need a PG to score 20 points in this system.

Although it would have been nice last night

MississppiZag
12-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Whether people want to believe it or not, scoring will be so much easier next year. Daye will likely be back. Kong and Arop are better of the dribble and finish better than Downs and Ira. We just need a PG to get the offense started and protect the ball, which Meech will be perfect at. Daye, Poling, Sacre, Dower, and Harris down low will be better than just Daye and Heytvelt. I am not sure why that team will not be better.

Jeremy is doing a fine job this year. His decision making is a little iffy in the last 2 minutes. I actually would like to see him to shoot more like in the UConn game. I hope the play in crunch time gets fixed before the next game. We will be in a battle with Utah.