PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hudson at KREM?

rawkmandale
12-22-2008, 10:34 PM
KREM just said "goodbye" to Tom Hudson after 12 plus years. What gives?

gwild999
12-22-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure about Hudson specifically, but it's becoming a trend in the local tv market.

http://thatleyassociates.blogspot.com/2008/12/local-tvs-future.html

roxdoc
12-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Oh no. Will he still be the "Voice of the Zags"?

gamagin
12-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Oh no. Will he still be the "Voice of the Zags"?

Good question. I know Dennis Patchin lost his mic when KHQ got the bid for covering TV games from KXLY (where Dennis works).

I'm not sure what the deal is with the radio broadcasts. They could be separate. I don't think the radio station Hudson broadcasts GU games from (1510) is connected to KREM, but I don't know for sure. Richard Fox would also be affected by this as Hudson's color guy.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is GU would have contract language in their deal that would not allow a talent like Hudson to be let go during the season. Not without GU's permission.

Curious, for sure.

p.s. I checked the krem.com blog and there was no mention of Hudson's departure anywhere I could see.

seasontixholder
12-23-2008, 07:32 AM
He announced it at the end of the 6:00 newscast last night. It seemed to be nearly spontaneous, and the other 3 KREMers on set seemed to be caught entirely flatfooted. He just truncated his normal report and went on a rambling spiel about how great the people in Spokane were, his trip back from Seattle, "the stress of the last two years", etc. etc. However, he made it clear that he would continue to be the voice of the Zags.

It sounded like something that has been building, and was sparked by something that happened just before going on the air.

SteeleMan
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I saw that. It was kind of Bizarre. He was really venting. Wonder if it had anything to do with the Charter Cable contract not getting done? :p

He did say, as you mentioned, that he will be next to Richard Fox for tonight's and future Zag games for radio commentary.

He announced it at the end of the 6:00 newscast last night. It seemed to be nearly spontaneous, and the other 3 KREMers on set seemed to be caught entirely flatfooted. He just truncated his normal report and went on a rambling spiel about how great the people in Spokane were, his trip back from Seattle, "the stress of the last two years", etc. etc. However, he made it clear that he would continue to be the voice of the Zags.

It sounded like something that has been building, and was sparked by something that happened just before going on the air.

MEZAG
12-23-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqhVPms9N5U

vandalzag
12-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Poor old Sten was at a lost. The only thing missing from that was security storming the set to remove Hudson. Must have been one heck of a production meeting that afternoon. You do have to wonder what is going on with all of the networks in Spokane. Watching them attempt to work unscripted during a live broadcast is similar to stopping to look at a car wreck.

hockeyzag
12-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow that was something else. That guy next to him was just frozen the whole time with this mouth gaping.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-23-2008, 03:20 PM
the roar of Stens uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh overbears hudsons goodbye. His face is priceless through that thing.

sittingon50
12-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I think he's trying to position himself to get the huskie play by play.

gamagin
12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Poor old Sten was at a lost. The only thing missing from that was security storming the set to remove Hudson. Must have been one heck of a production meeting that afternoon. You do have to wonder what is going on with all of the networks in Spokane. Watching them attempt to work unscripted during a live broadcast is similar to stopping to look at a car wreck.

cutbacks, job losses and tremenous insecurity, just like everywhere else. But newspapers and TV & radio stations, are battling for shrinking ad dollars.

So many, many, bigger name and higher paid talking heads are getting fired all around the country, or their contracts bought out, in order to hire cheaper talent and lower expenses.

same in newspapers. same everywhere.

what exactly happened to Hudson I don't know. I just know from friends the grim budget reaper is wandering around all those halls and no one feels or is safe.

When TH mentioned something like "especially the last two years" he was likely referring to either a management change or a budget change for sports and/or his department or both.

carlsperr
01-12-2009, 02:40 AM
KREM just said "goodbye" to Tom Hudson after 12 plus years. What gives?

I GUARANTEE I won't be watching KRUM news anymore!!!! :mad: