PDA

View Full Version : Take a deep breath. It doesn't get easier.

Reborn
12-22-2008, 08:16 AM
I was just looking ahead at our schedule. Well, it's "back on the road again" after Tuesday for two very difficult games. We travel to Utah and then six days later to Tennessee. The OOC schedule this year seems more difficult than ever to me. Am I wrong? It just seems like we have more away games then ever and the toughness of opponents just seems somewhat above the norm.

What impact do you think the toughness of the schedule is having on the team?

bartruff1
12-22-2008, 09:07 AM
I hate it , I wish we would play Eastern and Whitman and St Martins and Seattle U and Central and the Little Sisters of the the Poor all at home and at Spokane Arena kinda like Duke. I love those easy games the blowouts, you know like TSU, I can relax and enjoy the game and marvel at the skills of our players . .... :lmao:

krozman
12-22-2008, 09:59 AM
I hate it , I wish we would play Eastern and Whitman and St Martins and Seattle U and Central and the Little Sisters of the the Poor all at home and at Spokane Arena kinda like Duke. I love those easy games the blowouts, you know like TSU, I can relax and enjoy the game and marvel at the skills of our players . .... :lmao:

Relax, the WCC is coming.

Schmitty
12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I was just looking ahead at our schedule. Well, it's "back on the road again" after Tuesday for two very difficult games. We travel to Utah and then six days later to Tennessee. The OOC schedule this year seems more difficult than ever to me. Am I wrong? It just seems like we have more away games then ever and the toughness of opponents just seems somewhat above the norm.

What impact do you think the toughness of the schedule is having on the team?

Come March, we will be hoping they play (and win) 8 straight road games. Im thinking this ooc schedule will help prepare them for that stretch of games. It certainly cant hurt.

former1dog
12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Relax, the WCC is coming.

The WCC isn't going to be a picnic. St. Mary's will be tough away and at home. Portland will put up a helluva fight especially on their home court. USF is very much improved and Santa Clara has got a WCC POY candidate in big John Bryant. Gonzaga will be challenged in the WCC, count on it.

Not to mention, right in the middle of the WCC, we'll be playing Memphis.... What's our record against them?

bartruff1
12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
That Romar and Duke have....eventually they have to enter league play. I am confident the coaching staff know what they are doing. I suspect this scheduling approach helps in recruiting and gaining experience for league and NCAA play...not to mention the $ for the program...I can't imagine how much Gonzaga gets for a game like Memphis....or how much Stephen Curry is worth !!!

former1dog
12-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm not certain what the point is in putting Duke and Romar in the same sentence. :confused:

Duke is perennial a top 10 team. Their success is irrefutable, love or hate them, they are always great, (not good, great). They usually play a tough OOC schedule and of course the ACC is always one of the toughest if not THE toughest conferences in the country.

There is nothing whatsoever comparable between Duke and UW.

bartruff1
12-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm not certain what the point is in putting Duke and Romar in the same sentence. :confused:

Duke is perennial a top 10 team. Their success is irrefutable, love or hate them, they are always great, (not good, great). They usually play a tough OOC schedule and of course the ACC is always one of the toughest if not THE toughest conferences in the country.

There is nothing whatsoever comparable between Duke and UW. As much as possible and tend to play in very familiar arena's where they have a large fan base eg...MSG.....as for " not whatsover comparable "....they are both overrated in my opinion and besides, I just don't like them...so there..

zagfan1
12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Well, I think we need to take a deep breath. The zags have lost twice. Both close games. Memphis and Tennessee will not be as difficult as we think. We just need to keep going. Good teams make it through a schedule like this. Hopefully Pargo and the rest of the team can cut down on their mistakes. For them, it is all in the details so to speak which will determine their future.

former1dog
12-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I just don't like them...so there..

:D I appreciate your honesty.

BobZag
12-22-2008, 02:26 PM
If Gonzaga can get past Utah and Tennessee (again), I'll feel real good about the possibility of running the table. But traveling hither and yonder yet again might take its toll. I guess we fans just have to hope the team can gut it out. Good thing it's just games and nothing important like the economy.

former1dog
12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
IMO, their is a tie for our two toughest regular season remaining games.

Beating Tennessee in TN and beating St. Mary's at St. Mary's are going to be very tough tests.

Close behind will be the Utah road game and Memphis in Spokane.

The Portland, Santa Clara, USD and USF road games will not be cake walks for the team.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-22-2008, 02:55 PM
When will we get a marquee name in K2? its extremely frustrating to get these impressive resume teams on our schedule we have to go to a "neutral site" ie playing U of AZ in phoenix, ( neutral court my A## ) then again it wasnt a very "neutral site" game against uconn either, or , go on the road to play them. The biggest OOC home game on our sched. in the last 2 years was Wazzu, which was great, but its a regional game. I just think it would be nice to get a huge game in our building for once.

alaskazagnut
12-22-2008, 03:24 PM
No one has the guts to come to our house. No one but sub 200 RPI teams even show up at the Kennel.

Romar is the tip of the iceberg. Memphis almost makes up for my utter discontent.

Loftonfor3
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Tenn won't be as easy as you think. 36 in a row. BTW Tenn basically showed up at the Kennel a year ago. You all clearly had the homecourt advantage in Seattle last year, albeit probably not as good as it would have been at the
Kennel. What i'm trying to say is, Tenn isn't scared to play at the Kennel even though they haven't yet. There!

zagfan1
12-22-2008, 05:34 PM
It would be good for Tennessee to come to the Kennel. Would be fun! The Zags earlier were a lot different compared to last year when going up against the boys in Orange. The wild card since that game has been Sacre and his injury and whether that injury will continue to hurt the depth of the Zags. If Gonzaga gets into a little foul trouble against the vols then it could be an interesting game. But I was just thinking that at the moment the vols are on the decline just a bit since they gone down in the rankings to like 20? So anyways, it will be action packed that is for sure.

Nevtelen
12-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Tenn has had some injuries, too - notably Prince (any word on him, Loftonfor3?) That's really hurt them, I think. They are also just not as cohesive or experienced as last year's squad. Still, it's never easy to beat a good team more than once in a season and the upcoming game will be on their turf. Not easy by any means. I think the team really needs to win, though, to keep up their momentum.

Don't think for a minute, though, that Key Arena, even rocking like it is for the BiS is anything like K2, Loftonfor3. It'd be great for Tenn to play us there, though I don't see many major teams making that trip.

Loftonfor3
12-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I believe Prince will play next game, but I don't know. I saw him practicing in a news clip so thats got to be good news.

MDABE80
12-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I think this is great news about Prince. 5 guys on the floor at one time. We have a five man group most wish they could have. We need a rebounder! It's aboujt all that's missing. We get rebounds, we control the game.
I'm not sure about Tenn again.....it's tough to beat em at home.

Best to focus on what's in front of us.It would be pretty funny if the Zags beat em twice though;)

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2008, 09:52 PM

There is nothing whatsoever comparable between Duke and UW.

Hate em!...oh sorry, you weren't asking, carry on. :D

P.S. Puke is a perennial over rated top 10 team...okay, I'm done. I promise.

Zagger
12-23-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm thinkin' that the Zags will win out. They're getting better all the time - all of them. They have some bugs to work out but the Zags are GOOD. Staying healthy is the key.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-23-2008, 08:21 AM
The lack of a post presence is still a MONUMENTAL CONCERN.

MississppiZag
12-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Heytvelt and Daye are plenty. I know they are not typical big men. But there athleticism and skill make up for it. I love the idea of Daye plying at the free throw line, creating for himself or having the option to pass it down low to Josh for a easy basket. They compliment each other perfectly. No doubt it would be nice to have Sacre back anytime during the season. If the wings and guards give the ball to Josh he is capable of scoring down low or banking in the 15 foot jumper.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-23-2008, 09:25 AM
What happens when they get into foul trouble, ie UCONN? No viable back up for either of them. All I am saying is we dont have that bull nosed tough as nails big that we desperately need. Josh plays like a big wing, Austin is a big wing, Ira is a bullnosed tough as nails guy and will hold his own against most anyone down low but he is 6'4". The other guy that way is Jeremy, he is 6'1". Im hoping our length and athleticism will compensate, it has done well so far.....but how far will it take us? Sac is a huge loss for us as he is really our only true "banger".

MDABE80
12-23-2008, 10:47 AM
I do know that after the past few weeks, we need a major win. Tenn ( super hard to win there), Utah and Memphis are "must wins" to hang onto that no 2 seed published today. St Mary will be waiting in the weeds for us as well.

Kids look tired out and I 'd like to see them fresher. There's a lot of season left. 2/3rds by my count. I just love these big time D1 games...it's beginning to look like they take their toll though......it's the travel, not the opponents. We handle the other teams decently enough. Might be a good idea to be home more. Pretty bad to be worn out when league begins.

7ICoug
12-23-2008, 11:01 AM
When will we get a marquee name in K2? its extremely frustrating to get these impressive resume teams on our schedule we have to go to a "neutral site" ie playing U of AZ in phoenix, ( neutral court my A## ) then again it wasnt a very "neutral site" game against uconn either, or , go on the road to play them. The biggest OOC home game on our sched. in the last 2 years was Wazzu, which was great, but its a regional game. I just think it would be nice to get a huge game in our building for once.

You are never going to get a Marquee name in the Kennel. Its actually not as the next poster assumes a matter of "guts" its a matter of the dollar.

You got UConn in Seattle to 17,000+ paying fans. If you got them in the Kennel it would be in front of ZERO more dollars. As the Kennel is sold out or given away in the case of the students.

Same thing BTW as UA in Phoenix. They played neutral or semi-home if you will just like you did in Seattle. Difference is you got paid from TV revenue as well as any seat revenue.

Playing in the Kennel would give KHQ and whoever else does your game a payday. Only Regional games or West Coast type of games will be played. Didn't you play Stanford a year or two ago?

But with UW drawing only 1,500-2,500 at home in there last game perhaps they will sign up again.

johnwzag
12-23-2008, 11:05 AM
7 is right. It is about $$$.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-23-2008, 11:16 AM
good point 71........it completely sucks that this has to be about dollars and not about the actual teams. However Im not an idiot and do realize that $$ does drive the sport or industry, what ever you call it. I guess watching the Little Sisters of the Poor at K2 will have to suffice......but believe me, I am very grateful to be able to attend the home games. Dont want to sound whiny and spoiled or anything..........