• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TuckC
    Kennel Club
    • Mar 2007

What is Few's Status in the Country?

NOTE: This is not a "OMG LETZ FIRE COACH FEW BECUZ WE LOST TO UCONN" thread

I noticed that during the game Calhoun threw tantrum after tantrum with the refs. I know that Calhoun is well respected, a HoF and a coach in his 23rd season. I noticed that the refs were awfully friendly with him as far as not trying to make him even angrier (trying to sooth the storm) and I noticed that UConn got 18 more free throws than Gonzaga did, undermining that Gonzaga was the team that was attacking the basket.

So I want to know, has Few or will Few ever get the refs to call the game the way he wants? You know, get into their heads. Has he earned that respect? Will he ever have the weight of an Izzo, Calupari, Williams or Calhoun?
  • UConn0811
    Redshirt
    • Dec 2008

Comment

• TuckC
      Kennel Club
      • Mar 2007

I'm not talking "great coach" listing. I'm more talking about when will refs start seeing a tenacious coach in the corner of their eye and maybe have that affect their lungs when blowing into that silver noise maker.

Comment

• UConn0811
        Redshirt
        • Dec 2008

I think the game was called pretty fairly. Just because Calhoun is more respected, as you say.. doesn't mean that it made the refs do anything that they wouldn't have done in the first place. UConn is known for drawing fouls and getting to the line. That is one of Calhoun's philosophies.

I think we got out coached for the first 30 minutes, then Calhoun just put on a clinic.

Comment

• TuckC
          Kennel Club
          • Mar 2007

Really? Because every time out Calhoun takes time out to talk to the refs. He'd pull them aside or motion at them and they would react in a "we know, calm down" sort of manner. There is no doubt that Calhoun did not affect this game aside from his decision calling. All great coaches influence the refs.

Comment

• Fishy
            Redshirt
            • Dec 2008

If he affected this game, he affects every game. He didn't affect it enough to keep his center on the floor for more than 20 minutes, though.

The foul differential speaks more to how the two teams play. Gonzaga is not particularly good at getting to the line -- they shot just 100 or so more free throws than their opponents last year and are actually shooting fewer than their opponents this year.

Last year, UConn shot about 450 more than their opponents. This year, they're getting to the line at about a three-to-one clip vs. the opposition. They get to the line. They're also one of the least foul-prone teams in the country. They averaged just 14 fouls a game in Big East play last year which is an achievement and the last time I checked, they led the country in fewest fouls per game this season. (They're not a great defensive team, but they do play D with their feet and not their hands.)

It's actually an area Gonzaga needs to improve. The teams in last year's Final Four probably averaged about 350 more free throws per game than their opponents - far more than the Zags.

Comment

It would not surprise me

If Mark was not the most respected coach in the country given what he has done in the last ten years and considering where he has done it. It appears that he is on the top of the list every time there is a vacancy at a BCS school. Have your children say a prayer every night that he stays... under the assumption that God pays more attention to children !!!

Comment

Working...
              X