• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

This loss can not be blamed on Mark Few

I thought the Zag players lost this game, not Few. Few managed the game terrificly and had an excellent game plan. 1. Get Thabeet on the bench by attacking. Zags did just that. 2. Make them shoot from the outside. That worked for about 3/4 of the game, but in the end that Zone back fired. But a great decision, during the game, to go with the match-up zone. 3. Setting up plays to attack the basket. We did that for most of the game, and it worked getting us an 11 point lead. The offense with Josh up at the post is the best offense. We've got plenty of guys who can score in the paint....Fans need to stop complaining about our lack of low post offense. We had way more points in the paint then UCONN in my opinion. 4. Great offensive execution of the offense.

The team lost this game by getting complacent and stopped attacking the rim. It began with a 3 on 2 fast break that Pargo did not attack and give the ball up for a layup. He pulled back and ended up getting the ball stolen. That was a big play I thought because it came off a steal. And then the team went into their biggest mistake....shooting long shots after one pass or just no passes. We began to shoot from the outside and not play defense with energy (complacency) and UCONN cuts the lead to 1. The Zags did bounce back and made a few good plays down the stretch. Daye made a great basket. And Matt shot some good free throws. Steven Gray missed one on that technical on Thabeet, and that was huge.

In the final analysis the team plays the game. They either make the plays or they don't. Price hitting a number of tough shots, and especially his last, does not make Calhoon a better coach than Few. Price showed us what it takes to win a game like this...it takes someone who refuses to lose. Before Price hits that shot, Dyson misses his 3 attempt, and we do not get the rebound, thus giveing Price a chance to win the game. Do we have this quality? I believe we do. Pargo had a pretty good game, but not his best for sure. He did some good scoring when we needed those points. His handicap is that he isn't really a point guard by nature. He just doesn't seem to think like one imo. Can he get better? I hope so. He has most of the season left to do that. We are a long ways from March. Right now Price is a better point guard than Pargo. But we have a long way to go...and I'm sticking with Pargo.

I THOUGHT FEW COACHED A GREAT GAME
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The staff may have coached their best game of the season. The game plan was exactly what it needed to be. The team was severely limited in its preparations due to the weather and the quick turnaround time, so it wasn't an easy job. The bottom line is that Few and Co. put their team in a position to win....that's all you ask of them.

Comment

• ballerstatus
      Bulldog Fan
      • Dec 2008

You are right that the zags can score in the paint, but who is the best post up player... Pargo! and then Bouldin, really! our guards! we dont have a guy who can bang down low and put up tough buckets, please tell me who can? Cause that is what they are missing.

ANd on Few i agree he is a good coach, but there is a history of the zags falling apart year after year and their deminor is the same everytime down the stretch, players personality may be the issue, but coaches have to recognize that and improve these young guys' confidence for end game situations. If i was Few I would really try and get possibly Pargo to really get intense and emotional out there, they almost seem too composed and that resulted today in them not being aggressive. Few needs to work on a way to get the damn press broke, it isnt rocket science to do, and when downs cut to the middle and got the ball it was broke... crazy how that works! I dont know if Few is going nuts, but I am when his players just hold the ball in the corners when they are trapped, really this is college and you are ranked 8th and your players are making those mistakes we all once did in the 8th grade. Few needs to get his boys pumped up, they almost need to get mean, and use that toughness in a positive and productive way instead of going through the motions in tough situations.. and pargo would have played great, but he made 3 turnovers that ruined his chances at a good game... you can not deny that

Comment

• jim77
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

"You are right that the zags can score in the paint, but who is the best post up player... Pargo! and then Bouldin, really! our guards! we dont have a guy who can bang down low and put up tough buckets, please tell me who can? Cause that is what they are missing."

Why risk getting Josh in trouble when our guards did a fine job of penetration. Sometimes its who's got the best mismatch....even though Matty's shots weren't falling, I applaud the kid's aggressiveness. It was good to see us get back into the paint. Even if it was mostly from guards. We also found ourselves another weapon...Steven Gray.....the kid looked great taking it to the hole! The staff did fine.

Comment

• ballerstatus
          Bulldog Fan
          • Dec 2008

gray was nice tonight.
          but ummm tell me the last time you have seen a play to post up josh downlow against a good team.......Not often. Pargo does have more skill than josh posting up. watch it on youtube man.

Comment

• alaskazagnut

Imo.

Everyone from top down needs to step it up a notch, get more fire under their arses, and pledge to be more cutthroat when it comes to the score. When we are up by 11 then we need to be greedy, selfish and even more driven to get up by 22, then by 33.

Everyone needs to step it up a notch!!!!!

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by alaskazagnut View Post
              Everyone from top down needs to step it up a notch, get more fire under their arses, and pledge to be more cutthroat when it comes to the score. When we are up by 11 then we need to be greedy, selfish and even more driven to get up by 22, then by 33.

Everyone needs to step it up a notch!!!!!
              Right on! and in doing so, recognize that a lead does not necessarily mean it is now time to start throwing up every shot from downtown after you got the lead by taking the rock to the hoop. 2 points the old fashioned way works just fine.
              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

Working...
              X