PDA

View Full Version : Get your minds right.

JohnOGU
12-20-2008, 07:07 PM
This is FAR from being just JP or Few' fault. So many of our players played some stupid basketball today. I saw some of the dumbest, most pointless fouls my all of our players. Especially Bouldin.We played our butts off and it was a team loss.

1). I dont know what it is about our players handling presses, but they do everything wrong. They pick up their dribbles at the worst ttimes. When we get trapped our other players dont give hardly ay help, wich in turn cause turnovers. IE, pargo thriowng the ball away.

2). FOULs. Today Thabeet threw up a lay-in and bouldins foul was a little slap to his arm. what the hell is that? We commit the dumbest fouls ive seen. its has to get under control or its going to hurt us again and again. Us having 3 starters foul out is what sealed the loss in this game. Majority of them completely pointless fouls.

3). I dnt like blaming refs, but id love to replay this game w a competent set of refs and see the difference. they are by far the worst ive EVER seen...

4). Yes, handling the ball at crucial times is a current issue. It wasnt just pargo tho. Downs and bouldin also contributed to some terrible decisions in this game.

So as the Title says, if you wanna throw JP under the bus, then get your minds right, because a lot of dumb decisions were made by a lot of players today. point blank period.

ballerstatus
12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
You are right for the most part, but remember as always this is college and mistakes are made, but there are two types of mistakes, mistakes you can make up for and mistakes you can not. Pargo's mistake(s) proved to be a game changing one for uconn to have a second attempt.
And played their butts off???? come on now, they did for 35 minutes of the game, but they mentally did not want this game.
Refs did make some inconsistent calls.

JohnOGU
12-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Stupid fouls are becoming an epidemic with this team. They can be prevented and they can be changed. Its not happening tho. If you think Pargos were the only game changing mistakes then im sorry. you're wrong. And yes, they did play their butts off. I dont think ive ever been so proud of our team in a game.

McZag
12-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Stupid fouls are becoming an epidemic with this team. They can be prevented and they can be changed. Its not happening tho. If you think Pargos were the only game changing mistakes then im sorry. you're wrong. And yes, they did play their butts off. I dont think ive ever been so proud of our team in a game.

I was more proud in the loss to Arizona in March 2003. That loss was a win with only ony team advancing. This is a dress rehearsal.

TM27
12-20-2008, 07:40 PM
You are right for the most part, but remember as always this is college and mistakes are made, but there are two types of mistakes, mistakes you can make up for and mistakes you can not. Pargo's mistake(s) proved to be a game changing one for uconn to have a second attempt.
And played their butts off???? come on now, they did for 35 minutes of the game, but they mentally did not want this game.
Refs did make some inconsistent calls.

I am confused by these type of posts. I agree with your frustration...b/c just like you I wanted to see a win. But really??? UConn is a legit #2 team... GU stays with UConn based on JP's play in the first half. GU goes up by 11 in large part to JP's play. The dude played 39+ minutes with cramps. Any person who has played any athletic sport with cramps should be somewhat impressed by the determination 39 minutes would take. Especially calf cramps which is what looked like the trainer was working on. His homerun pass was a horse#### play... but if that is the game changer then I can name 10 other game changing plays that we should be freaking out about. Actually I can name 10 during the span they lost the 11 point lead. It is December... and I hope JP does not pay attention to these boards.

jim77
12-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I think some of those fouls are a by-product of our New and improved defense....agressiveness. We do need to pick our fouls a bit more closely...especially against a physical team like Uconn. We also need to work on getting the ball upcourt against pressure.

At least we got some good guard penetration from JP and Steven Gray......the latter really showing some nice kuhunas to the hoop. I hope we see more of that from Steven. We are on track to do major damage in March.

I was so cool to see BIG WILL all business out there.....I hope the coach continues to get the big guy as much time as possible. There was no Disintrersted look out there today...the kid rose to the occasion.

asoc
12-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Don't forget about the beginning of the game when we were missing shots and Uconn went on that run.

There were many mistakes or missed shots throughout the game that could have given us a few extra points.

The way I choose to look at games like these is that they are exciting and fun to watch. Your emotions go up and down and you are enthralled for the entire game. Even in a loss I come out happy for the experience, even if disappointed. Can't stress out over something you can't fix, just enjoy the ride.

Nevtelen
12-20-2008, 08:00 PM
I was at the game - just got home an hour ago, actually (stupid snow). It was a great game with a painfull end. I was very very proud of how the team stepped up today, even though that ending really really sucked. Just as a little perspective, BTW, a Few quote from after the game:

"I'm proud. Our guys played their tails off," Zags coach Mark Few said. "We used everybody we possibly had in the whole gym out there and had the craziest lineups we've never, ever had in practice.

If this or that bounced our way, the team could have won the game. Despite how much this sucks right now, I think it gave me back some belief that I was lacking after the Arizona game (Zona go smacked around by UNLV today, BTW. Ouch) - that this team, even in their injury-depleted, thin-in-the-post current configuration really is a legit final 4 candidate. UConn is legit. And we really really almost had them - should have really. That bodes well for March.

I hate being on here after losses, so that's about all I'll say, but a good game by all and a fun (if tough) one to watch.

MDABE80
12-20-2008, 08:08 PM
This is the time of the year when we learn from mistakes and we bounce back better for a loss or a close one. 'm death on losing. Nonetheless...learn we will. This was a hard fought game with ups and downs. I'd guess that if we play UConn 10 times this year, we win half. Luck had a lot to do with this loss today.they had it at the end and we didn't. Afterall that 3 could have just as easily resulted in a victory for us and not a tie for them.

It's in the centimeters.....or a bounce of a ball. It's good this isn't season ending adn we have lots of the season left. We'll win 90% of what's left and go in as a no 1 or 2 seed. Just lost one today....we let it get away. Big deal....nobody goes undefeated anymore anyway. Next up is Portland St. This is just a bump.

JohnOGU
12-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I was so cool to see BIG WILL all business out there.....I hope the coach continues to get the big guy as much time as possible. There was no Disintrersted look out there today...the kid rose to the occasion.

he really looked like he wanted to be out there and make a difference for the team. he was hustling. He looked really disinterested in the Texas Southern game to me.

I realy think that there are a lot of positives that came from this game. even with a loss. we proved that on any given night that we could beat a team like UCONN. We're a great team. i still believe the best we've ever had. just need to stop tose dumb mistakes...and hating on our leader, JP.