PDA

View Full Version : Two questions:

MickMick
12-20-2008, 05:22 PM
1) What is the best seed we can hope for?

2) Have you revised your opinion of what the Zags are capable of doing?

My opinion:

1) Best we can hope for is a 2 seed. Arizona fell apart today and the strong Big East could quickly tarnish the UConn glitz. The losses may not look nearly as palatable a month from now.

2) My biggest fears are being realized. This team simply cannot take care of the ball. Especially at critical times. I have revised my realistic hopes from a final four ceiling to an elite eight. The UConn and Arizona games are like UCLA ghosts that have come to haunt.

With a high seed, the Zags may get matched up for a couple of early wins. But it gets very dicey after that.

Mark Few must work this team on end of game scenarios. He must also convince the bench to not pass up on shots when the shooters have fouled out.

75Zag
12-20-2008, 05:33 PM
I think it is way to early to tell how good (or not good) the Bulldogs will be this year. I am hoping they play in either Portland or Boise for the first round of the NCAA tournament and to do that they may need a 2 seed. Beyond that, who knows.

I should probably put this thought in a separate threat, but perhaps part of the frustration we all feel is that the BIS is built up with endless hype by GU, Comcast, the Seattle Times, etc. and when we lose (3 times in a row, right?) it feels a lot worse than it actually is. This is just a non-conference pre-season game. We have almost 3 full months to show the world how good GU is. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Not much else we can do, is there?

RenoZag
12-20-2008, 05:36 PM
1) What is the best seed we can hope for ?

Good question to ask and answer on 3/10/2009

2) Have you revised your opinion of what the Zags are capable of doing?

Nope

. . .

bartruff1
12-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Nothing has changed....we can still get a 2 seed and we can play with the best....the talent on this team is among the best in the country and the coach is the best. I would think we have a good chance of a elite 8 and if so, anything can happen..I would be even more confident if they would win a couple close games against good teams and build some confidence that they will win the close ones . And yes, I have to say it...that Jeremy would give up the ball on the last play of the half or the game at least once so that the other players would get involved....

CDC84
12-20-2008, 05:58 PM
The Zags needed this win to have any chance at a number one. I think a reasonable goal is to get a number two out west. I would be more than happy with that. The key is to avoid the east and south regions...that is, UConn and UNC.

The only thing I feel confident about right now is getting to the 2nd weekend. I think this team's talent alone is probably going to get them there. But I'm not satisfied with just making the 2nd weekend with this group.

To get over that elite 8 hump....as MickMick indicates....the Zags need to show me more in terms of their ability to handle late game situations. Problem is, they are running out of games where the opponent has the personnel in place to legitimately test them. I suppose if the Zags can get wins at Utah and Tennessee, it'll be a step in the right direction.

I also think the Zags really need Sacre back.

johnwzag
12-20-2008, 06:02 PM
What is the best seed we can hope for?

I will worry about that later.

Have you revised your opinion of what the Zags are capable of doing?

No

VinnyZag
12-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I think a three or four seed is most probable, assuming Gonzaga doesn't win out (I think GU will lose at least one, and probably two, of the following four games: at Tennessee, at Saint Mary's, at San Diego, vs. Memphis). And I think the seed discussion is relevant in December because that's when GU establishes its credentials for seeding ... in the nonconference season, NOT in the WCC season.
And, yes, I've revised my opinion of the Zags. I think they have an elite eight ceiling; I'd be satisfied with another sweet sixteen appearance. And, to quote the possible future senator from Minnesota, That's OK.

bartruff1
12-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Winner of the Pac gets the #1 seed...and probably deserves it...

Dishman Coug
12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I think the Zags are in a different league than SD and St Mary's, they won't lose to them, unless an upset in the WCC tourney with a bid on the line for the other team.

Memphis is losable. I think it would be a pretty big letdown to lose to Tenn. They are just not that good right now.

I think they get to the tournament with three losses and a 2 seed.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Winner of the Pac gets the #1 seed...and probably deserves it...

You are joking right? UCLA and ASU aren't all that impressive and they are top 2 more than likely. After the top 3 or 4 in the P10, there is a HUGE drop off.

Dishman Coug
12-20-2008, 08:08 PM
There will be no #1 seed coming out of the west. Duke, Pitt or Uconn will be sent out west.

surfmonkey89
12-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Best case is a #3 in the West. There's no way that if we're a #2 they'll consider us "the best #2", so they'll throw us back East.

My opinion of the team hasn't changed. IMO this year is:
- UNC
- gap
- UConn
- gap
- everyone else

If there's any reason for me to be "down" from before it's because of the loss of Sacre as opposed to anything I saw today.

ZagLawGrad
12-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Zags will be a 3 seed IF they can beat TN and/or Memphis. They will be hard pressed to beat either if they do not play a complete game. Playing well most of the game just won't get it done at the level the Zags are striving to reach.

bartruff1
12-20-2008, 08:45 PM
You are joking right? UCLA and ASU aren't all that impressive and they are top 2 more than likely. After the top 3 or 4 in the P10, there is a HUGE drop off. The Pac has been a pretty consistant Final Four player. I'm not joking at all, I doubt that Gonzaga could win the Pac but they don't have to. We don't know who will win but you can be sure it will be a battle tested team that will be ready for the tourney. I can't recall any other team from the west that got a #1 seed. We shall see won't we..

BSUBronco74
12-20-2008, 08:48 PM
y'all are getting WAY too ahead of yerselves. Relax.

When all is said and done about this game, you'll understand that only Steven Gray came into the building to play a game against the #2 team in the country. The others were only maybes, and they will continue to be until they decide different.

Today was basketball on a high NCAA level. Face it: Heytfelt is not a force down low, he wants to step outside and make 3's. Underneath the basket and in the paint, he plays like a 5'9" guy unless somebody tosses him an alleyoop or he accidentally finds a rebound in his hands.

Pargo made plenty of mistakes today, but he plays his heart out. Unlike others, I will NOT diss Pargo on this board.

Micah Downs throws up crap from outside and was lucky to get 3 of em today. He really is not that great a shooter. I do like his toughness under the boards though, and he might be the hidden treasure on this team.

Bouldin is tuff but he ain't a killer when it comes down to nut-cuttin time.

IRA! seems to have vasoline on his hands lately , and can't get a grip on the ball, or if he does he bangs it off his own foot. He's another one who will probably only score on spectacular lob passes or putbacks.

Austin Daye is a talent, I love the hell out of his game, but he throws up stuff that could fall or could not, depending on how he combed his hair, or what he had for breakfast, and although he gets a few blocks/game, he is too skinny to really defend inside against the bigs he will face in the tourney.

Errrmmh.. that said, so is Tayshaun Prince, and we all know how that works out.

I'm just throwing stuff out there, and frankly I'm hoping it makes more sense than a lot of the stuff I've seen on this board since the end of the UCONN game today.

Just like the AZ game, this one was a schooling for the Zags. Coach Few will make the best of it. He knows his team a lot better than he did a week ago.

OK y'all, fire away. Tell me how I'm wrong.

BC

JohnOGU
12-20-2008, 09:01 PM
I still think we're as good or better than UCONN, despite this loss. As i've said in another post. We proved that we could beat them on any given night. In a 5 game series, i pick Gonzaga.

Stupid mistakes can be corrected.

Go zags.

CDC84
12-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Keep in mind that the 2003/04 team lost two games in the non-league sked and still managed to secure #2 seed out west. And that was a year when the WCC didn't have a St. Mary's. That was also a year where college basketball, frankly, just had better teams throughout the country.

Outside of UConn, UNC, Duke, Pitt and OU, I just don't see any teams who are going to win enough games in league or who have beaten enough quality competition so far to keep Gonzaga out of the 2 seed discussion at this point. I think if the Zags win their next 3 games (and that is an if), they're going to be in very good shape going into league play.

BTW - Memphis is not what they've been the last 3 years. I would be surprised if Gonzaga didn't beat them in Spokane.

CDC84
12-20-2008, 09:30 PM
The Pac has been a pretty consistant Final Four player. I'm not joking at all, I doubt that Gonzaga could win the Pac but they don't have to.

The Pac 10 has been very, very poor this year. Just because they were good in the past doesn't mean they're good this season. Here are the facts:

UCLA hasn't beaten a single good team so far

ASU's best win by far was against BYU today....a game they should've lost.

UW has 3 losses with their best win being against Oklahoma State.

Wazzu has 3 losses with their best win being against Mississippi State.

Oregon is 4-6 and Oregon State 3-5 - enough said.

Stanford is 6-0 but hasn't played a team better than Colorado.

Cal has 2 losses with their best win being against UNLV - they were destroyed at Mizzou.

USC has 3 losses with their best win being against mighty New Mexico State.

About the only team who has done anything is Arizona.

And because no one has done much of anything, they aren't going to gain anything by beating one another, which means they're going to have a hard time getting decent seeds come March.

I would feel very comfortable if Gonzaga played in the Pac 10 this season. St. Mary's would as well. It is a very poor major conference right now.

twonohitters
12-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Today's loss on National TV- even though we blew it made us look very good in a way. We came back from 13-2 and should have had the lead at the half. Built a 12 pt lead and had CONTROL. Technically a "neutral" court. If Few learns to SUB- we will get AT LEAST a #2 seed. Other teams will be beating up on each other and we will begin our climb back up the polls leaping over teams as they lose conference games. A win vs Memphis, Tenn, Utah- would help a ton. But, even if we have 4-5 losses at seasons end, winning the Old Spice, at WSU, and showing we should have beaten UConn will get us a high seed. "Body of work"

zagfan08
12-20-2008, 10:11 PM
I thought we could get a 1 seed coming into the year. Now I am thinking we should hope for a 2 in the west. In my opinion that is very realistic. Open up in Portland and then, if we win the first two games, head to Phoenix.

I still think we can win the national championship. No change there. We were a desperation 3 away from beating the number 2 team in the country today and outplayed them most of the game. There is no reason to revise our expectations.

GolfZag
12-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I thought we could get a 1 seed coming into the year. Now I am thinking we should hope for a 2 in the west. In my opinion that is very realistic. Open up in Portland and then, if we win the first two games, head to Phoenix.

I still think we can win the national championship. No change there. We were a desperation 3 away from beating the number 2 team in the country today and outplayed them most of the game. There is no reason to revise our expectations.

Agree with all of it, except for the seeding. I don't know that we can get a 2 seed. I think we would almost have to win out to even be considered. Not that I don't think we are that good. I think we are actually a top five team, it's just the people who do the brackets......they are idiots.

vaboris
12-20-2008, 10:54 PM
y'all are getting WAY too ahead of yerselves. Relax.

When all is said and done about this game, you'll understand that only Steven Gray came into the building to play a game against the #2 team in the country. The others were only maybes, and they will continue to be until they decide different.

Today was basketball on a high NCAA level. Face it: Heytfelt is not a force down low, he wants to step outside and make 3's. Underneath the basket and in the paint, he plays like a 5'9" guy unless somebody tosses him an alleyoop or he accidentally finds a rebound in his hands.

Pargo made plenty of mistakes today, but he plays his heart out. Unlike others, I will NOT diss Pargo on this board.

Micah Downs throws up crap from outside and was lucky to get 3 of em today. He really is not that great a shooter. I do like his toughness under the boards though, and he might be the hidden treasure on this team.

Bouldin is tuff but he ain't a killer when it comes down to nut-cuttin time.

IRA! seems to have vasoline on his hands lately , and can't get a grip on the ball, or if he does he bangs it off his own foot. He's another one who will probably only score on spectacular lob passes or putbacks.

Austin Daye is a talent, I love the hell out of his game, but he throws up stuff that could fall or could not, depending on how he combed his hair, or what he had for breakfast, and although he gets a few blocks/game, he is too skinny to really defend inside against the bigs he will face in the tourney.

Errrmmh.. that said, so is Tayshaun Prince, and we all know how that works out.

I'm just throwing stuff out there, and frankly I'm hoping it makes more sense than a lot of the stuff I've seen on this board since the end of the UCONN game today.

Just like the AZ game, this one was a schooling for the Zags. Coach Few will make the best of it. He knows his team a lot better than he did a week ago.

OK y'all, fire away. Tell me how I'm wrong.

BC

LOL - this guy wont diss Pargo but he disses everyone else. Classic.

Zag79
12-21-2008, 03:04 AM
:lmao:

if price doesnt hit the prayer shot at the end of regulation this board is praising pargo for being tough, taking it over at times, and finding a way to get it done spare the TOs. few is so smart by out thinking jim. micah is was feeling it hitting 50% from 3, etc. the lucky shot hits and its like the end of world with ship jumpers on this board. we lost to the #2 team in the country by a please Lord shot. it happens. great game to watch, only needed us to pull it out to be a perfect day.

Birddog
12-21-2008, 03:24 AM
and outplayed them most of the game.

...................and therein lies the rub. Against good competition, it has to be ALL the game.