PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga's trend to losing?

ballerstatus
12-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I have seen this often in the past few seasons with the zags and maybe other teams have the same problem, however it shows with the zags much more. Gonzaga is a good team, but there are several things about the game and the season that is irritating. I just realized pargo is the only post up player they have? our point and two guard can post up... how can you go to the championship game without a big guy to bang downlow? This also leads to rebounding, although ira brown makes mistakes, his athletisicm makes up for it a lot. He is the only one who can compete in getting rebounds without boxing out. And this leads to why in the world do the zags not box out.? tennesse game was terrible, they didnt put a body on anyone, nor did they today against uconn. Pargo in my opinion lost that game, his mistakes led to second opportunities. He has been told by nba scouts that he should pass more, but i think that has confused him when he drives to the hoop, he had many opportunities to shoot within 8 feet of the basket but dished it off? sometimes it worked, but he needs to be aggressive, He is a game changing player, and the only one the zags have, he is probably the most mentally tough player as well. And why in the hell can the zags not break a press? I dont get it at all... it is so simple to break, and they get this deer in the headlights game and just wait to get trapped, pargo would better off dribble and weave through defenders. Come on Few work on that!! it is so frustrating to watch a team get trapped time after time again. And finally where is the toughness of the players, who is the leader? someone needs to hype these guys up, it always seems that gonzaga can not win down the stretch to a good team? The deer in the headlights theory again. I think it has to do with personality, but they got soft today against uconn offensively down the stretch and tried to slow it down too much, and they do not execute their offense well in tight game situations. I think losses arent always bad, but this one didnt turn out well, they just didnt seem to want it, and seemed worried not confident. I want to see someone on that team step up emotionally on the court and get guys pumped up, it is too conservative out there... garnett does this and it works, leadership needs to be taken to get out of the deer in the headlights look gonzaga has (remeber turiaf, he was great at pumping guys up), they need to get a killer mentality going.

roxdoc
12-20-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't recall GU getting trapped much in this game. I can think of other things to work on.

ballerstatus
12-20-2008, 07:11 PM
??? Was your tv blury today!!! did you not recall Pargo being trapped in the corner when he tried to throw the ball the length of the court? I agree they need to work on other things... however as you know mistakes are made in games, but some mistakes can change the game. And they were trapped in the game, not as much as AZ did to them, but uconn did trap...FSN may replay the game, take a look.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2008, 07:24 PM
??? Was your tv blury today!!! did you not recall Pargo being trapped in the corner when he tried to throw the ball the length of the court? I agree they need to work on other things... however as you know mistakes are made in games, but some mistakes can change the game. And they were trapped in the game, not as much as AZ did to them, but uconn did trap...FSN may replay the game, take a look.

Why bother starting a new thread to hate on Pargo? You were doing such a good on the other ones. Guess it wasn't feeding your ego enough.

ballerstatus
12-20-2008, 07:44 PM
ooo i think someone is mad about hating on pargo.... sweet quotes btw haha.
nice response too... ego or opinion?

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2008, 07:51 PM
ooo i think someone is mad about hating on pargo.... sweet quotes btw haha.
nice response too... ego or opinion?

Tell you what... try to stop and ACTUALLY think about what happened in the game before posting next time.

Here is the funny thing. When I point out flaws I am called a hater. But the real haters are the ones that come out after a loss to a top caliber team and single out a player or the coach like they were playing some also-rans.

Get over yourself and your own emotions and actually look at the game as a whole. It @#(@ like this that actually makes me dislike this board at times. Just pathetic displays of humanity and intelligence.

zag67
12-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Longisland is not the only one. Ballerstatus, if you do not like watching this team then go to UNC.

Remember that Conn. is number 2 in the nation and we played them straight up and lost it in OT. Did we make errors, YES. But do we need to attach blame to a person, NO. We need to learn from our errors and as a TEAM, we need to improve in the next 3 months.

ballerstatus
12-20-2008, 08:00 PM
if you would give some detail, this would be a discussion instead you are broadly saying things but not referencing what i have said? Look at the game as a whole? really? I am simply implying certain things, hate it or love it, doesnt matter to me, just dont try and respond with broad "smug" answers. And i never called you a hater, that just isnt accurate. Please though inform me technically to what i had originally said, that is why i wrote it, and ill appreciate your respone. thank you

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2008, 08:07 PM
How about the fact that AS A TEAM they rebounded like crap.

How about the fact that AS A TEAM they only shoot 70% at the line.

How about the fact that AS A TEAM they committed dumb, stupid, and idiotic fouls and sometimes all three at once, over and over again.

Some of us have been pointing out a couple of these flaws awhile ago and it had nothing to do with individual players. But unlike you, some of us see these things as being fixable. I saw this game as proof that this team is more than capable of making it to the final 4.

But hey, let the one or two plays that Pargo be the reason in your head. If it makes you feel better to point the blame at an individual rather than the team as a whole... the go right ahead and continue to hate. Tell you what, why don't you go root for UNC like Zags67 said, you'll have likely more luck in finding a team that won't lose a single game. It'll make your season sooo much happier.

kitzbuel
12-20-2008, 08:10 PM
I have seen this often in the past few seasons with the zags and maybe other teams have the same problem, however it shows with the zags much more. Gonzaga is a good team, but there are several things about the game and the season that is irritating. I just realized pargo is the only post up player they have? our point and two guard can post up... how can you go to the championship game without a big guy to bang downlow? This also leads to rebounding, although ira brown makes mistakes, his athletisicm makes up for it a lot. He is the only one who can compete in getting rebounds without boxing out. And this leads to why in the world do the zags not box out.? tennesse game was terrible, they didnt put a body on anyone, nor did they today against uconn. Pargo in my opinion lost that game, his mistakes led to second opportunities. He has been told by nba scouts that he should pass more, but i think that has confused him when he drives to the hoop, he had many opportunities to shoot within 8 feet of the basket but dished it off? sometimes it worked, but he needs to be aggressive, He is a game changing player, and the only one the zags have, he is probably the most mentally tough player as well. And why in the hell can the zags not break a press? I dont get it at all... it is so simple to break, and they get this deer in the headlights game and just wait to get trapped, pargo would better off dribble and weave through defenders. Come on Few work on that!! it is so frustrating to watch a team get trapped time after time again. And finally where is the toughness of the players, who is the leader? someone needs to hype these guys up, it always seems that gonzaga can not win down the stretch to a good team? The deer in the headlights theory again. I think it has to do with personality, but they got soft today against uconn offensively down the stretch and tried to slow it down too much, and they do not execute their offense well in tight game situations. I think losses arent always bad, but this one didnt turn out well, they just didnt seem to want it, and seemed worried not confident. I want to see someone on that team step up emotionally on the court and get guys pumped up, it is too conservative out there... garnett does this and it works, leadership needs to be taken to get out of the deer in the headlights look gonzaga has (remeber turiaf, he was great at pumping guys up), they need to get a killer mentality going.
Dude, breathe.

ballerstatus
12-20-2008, 08:25 PM
did you not read what i wrote? and i am breathing thanks! I included rebounding there??? I understand that UCONN is number two and we did a good job on them overall, but the little things matter in games, and those little things we not there. And AS A TEAM THEY GAVE THE GAME AWAY TO THEM. And i do like watching this team, ??? i am however seeing a trend of zag fans who are being too soft about this loss. The truth must hurt... i guess or something. ANd making it to the final four... WOW! that would be sweet, but get real right now, Gonzaga hasnt been a great team that can finish people out down the stretch. If you disagree than that is fine with me, but it is true.
And finally, come on longisland whatever the name is, but there are good losses and bad losses, everyone seems to think that this loss was great, and there were somee things that were such as we saw how great gray played and downs had some good things going. This loss was not so great, and i dont care if they are the number two team in the nation, it is a bad loss because we played their game at the end not ours. And again gonzaga tends to do this too much.........

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2008, 08:29 PM
So watch another team that doesn't lose to a top 5 team.

kitzbuel
12-20-2008, 08:31 PM
CDC hit on it already; this loss knocks the Zags out of a 1 seed. We get it.

There is not much I am going to do that will change it. I just really, really want them to win the next game.

ballerstatus
12-20-2008, 08:46 PM
no i like gonzaga do you understand that? criticing this team doesn't make me a "hater" ha it is simply an opinion that suggests how they could get better? go root for another top five team then... ok? really? come on now you know that isnt a great response?

RenoZag
12-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Troll alert !!

kitzbuel
12-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Baller, you have been here exactly one day and start laying out all the weaknesses of the Zags as if it is shocking news to everyone. Everything you layout has been discussed on this board throughout this season and in fact in many cases well before the season even started. You coming in and insisting that everyone acknowledge your few posts are newly unmasked truths and revelations right after a bitter loss is presumptuous and unwelcome.

If you want to say that you are extremely disappointed in the loss, join the crowd, but if you think you have some sudden, previously unrevealed wisdom we are not inclined to accept that readily.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2008, 09:12 PM
no i like gonzaga do you understand that? criticing this team doesn't make me a "hater" ha it is simply an opinion that suggests how they could get better? go root for another top five team then... ok? really? come on now you know that isnt a great response?

Pinning the failings of the team as a whole on one player makes you one thing... a hater. Looking at the team's failings as a whole in the game and not letting your emotions over a couple of plays get the better of you makes you a realist.

No way in hell are you a realist... so I guess that narrows it down for us.

Zag79
12-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Here is the funny thing. When I point out flaws I am called a hater. But the real haters are the ones that come out after a loss to a top caliber team and single out a player or the coach like they were playing some also-rans.

Troll alert !!

as if it didnt go hand in hand! :lmao:

ambition
12-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Baller, you have been here exactly one day and start laying out all the weaknesses of the Zags as if it is shocking news to everyone. Everything you layout has been discussed on this board throughout this season and in fact in many cases well before the season even started. You coming in and insisting that everyone acknowledge your few posts are newly unmasked truths and revelations right after a bitter loss is presumptuous and unwelcome.

If you want to say that you are extremely disappointed in the loss, join the crowd, but if you think you have some sudden, previously unrevealed wisdom we are not inclined to accept that readily.

I just would like to say this... I have read this guy ballerstatus remarks,,, and read yours as well as many others on this issue.... the funny thing is you are upset at what this guy wrote, but you replied, he obviously said something right for even YOU to reply... :)

ambition
12-24-2008, 01:58 AM
So watch another team that doesn't lose to a top 5 team.

Now they lost to an unranked team in the Big Sky Conference>? Bad loss or Good loss????

ambition
12-24-2008, 02:02 AM
as if it didnt go hand in hand! :lmao:

hmmmmm... i dont know if that is a very accurate statement>?
did you look at few when pargo threw that ball away while being trapped...enough said... if you dont think mark few said to himself wow i wish we could have no had those 3 turnovers pargo committed.(BECAUSE they were not normal turnovers... he passed the ball to team mates that werent even near his passes)? Few is thinking it man... Pargo is thinking it... If you asked Pargo who lost the game, he would most likely say, i may have lost it for us.... brett farve blames himself when they loose, so do many other players in sports... why is it so different to point out something like his 3 ridiculous turnovers and call people "Haters"

Zag79
12-24-2008, 02:18 AM
my point was that even if pargo agreed the 3 tos were his fault, there are 100 others things everyone could blame themselves for doing that costs the guys a W. its not one player, especially with as many guys we have that can win a game for us in the event so and so is off.

Puddy
12-24-2008, 05:14 AM
what about pargo driving the lenght of the floor and not even getting a shot up. he is a finisher, the best we have. He played really really bad in that uconn game, when the game was on the line. he is a SENIOR AND SENIORS SHOULDNT MAKE THOSE MISTAKES. That game definetly brings him down a notch in my book.

Zag79
12-24-2008, 01:58 PM
what about pargo driving the lenght of the floor and not even getting a shot up. he is a finisher, the best we have. He played really really bad in that uconn game, when the game was on the line. he is a SENIOR AND SENIORS SHOULDNT MAKE THOSE MISTAKES. That game definetly brings him down a notch in my book.

if thats the way you judge players than you must hate every athlete you watch seeing as they all make game changing mistakes. every zag you watched and can think of, hell your top 5 all time zags i could find a play they really screwed up. im glad you dont root for me!