PDA

View Full Version : December 18 post-game press stories - Nick Geranious and others?

ZagNative
12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Nick makes the wire first, for Associated Press (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008537646_apbkct25texassoutherngonzaga2ndldwritet hru.html):
What amazed Gonzaga coach Mark Few about his eighth-ranked Bulldogs' 84-42 demolition of winless Texas Southern was that the game was even played after almost two feet of snow fell on the city Thursday.

It was a battle just to get to the arena on streets so choked with snow that authorities were urging people to stay home.

"I shoveled for six hours today, until an hour before game time," Few said.

It may have been cold outside, but the Zags (8-1) were scorching in posting their best offensive and defensive performance of the season against the overmatched Tigers, who got into Spokane on Wednesday, in the early stages of the storm that dropped more than 23 inches of snow, snarling traffic and shutting down much of the city.Snow ... the great leveler in Spokane today ...

"We got our defense and our rebounding squared away," Few said.
"The best effort of the night was the people who showed up here," Few said.

Guard Jeremy Pargo, who finished with eight assists, got stuck in the snow and had to be rescued by a teammate, Few said.
The Zags substituted liberally in the second half, as Few wanted to rest his starters in anticipation of Saturday's game against No. 2 Connecticut in Seattle.

ZagNative
12-18-2008, 08:59 PM
This is the same story posted above by Nick Geranious, but with a nice roundup of ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283532250) stats, including this summary:
Gonzaga's 82 points marked the Bulldogs' highest output of the season.

• Gonzaga has won 13 straight at home and is 55-2 all-time at the McCarthy Athletic Center.

• The Bulldogs shot 11-for-16 from 3-point range (68.8 percent), led by Micah Downs hitting four of five threes for 14 points.

-- ESPN research And from the photo album on that page, this one of Josh, just the way we like 'im - feisty:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/572f68df-3c07-4b04-832d-cd35eadefdbb.jpg

Reborn
12-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow! What a picture of Josh. Talk about ripped! This may be my fav picture of Josh...

ZagNative
12-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I was about to organize a search party for Jim Meehan, because no stories were showing up on my RSS feed, but, Lo and Behold, the Spokesman-Review has changed the location for its blogs. I don't see a story by Meehan, but John Blanchette (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2008/dec/18/bulldogs-prep-uconn-easy-win/) has an unedited story there.
“It’s pretty tough out there right now,” said guard Jeremy Pargo. “I had a car I couldn’t get out, couldn’t move it – couldn’t even see it. But it was a great atmosphere and these guys love it, and love that those people love us.”
Gonzaga made eight of its first 11 shots, but Few didn’t even reference that statistic – happier still that two of the areas that broke down in Sunday’s loss at Arizona seemed restored.

“They got it going with our defense and rebounding,” he said. “We got those two things back squared away pretty good, and then moved the ball well enough that we got each other good shots.”

The Tigers – who shot 57 percent in the loss to Texas – made just two of nine attempts in those first six minutes and turned it over three times, and found themselves buried deeper than Pargo’s car.

And after that, it was mostly target practice.

The Zags kept bombing away from 3 until Heytvelt reeled off 11 straight Gonzaga points interrupted only by Texas Southern’s last field goal of the first half – by Sollie Norwood with 7:15 left. The play of that stretch was a Pargo steal and pass to a streaking Heytvelt, who tomahawked a jam on the break that shook the snow from McCarthey’s roof.

“It was nice,” he said. “That felt like the highest I’ve jumped in three years.”

By halftime, the Zags led 53-19, were shooting 65.6 percent and had made a ridiculous nine of 11 3-pointers – while the Tigers had connected on just 29.6 percent.

“I thought our guys did a great job of dealing with all the distractions and all the excuses that could have been there,” Few said, “or even the aspect of coming off their first loss and maybe not playing with as much confidence and energy as they needed to.”

Maybe their urgency was a product of what they know is coming next – and their own aspirations.

“We outrebounded them by 22 and kept them under 35 percent and those are our standards – our Final Four standards,” said Downs. “When we defend and rebound like that it’s going to help us go deep – and we’re going to have to come out with the energy and passion we came out with tonight on Saturday.”

cjm720
12-19-2008, 07:04 AM
that Pargo steal, pass to Jh and tomahawk dunk was amazing. two seniors stepping up big!!!

GO ZAGS

malmer7
12-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Quote:

Guard Jeremy Pargo, who finished with eight assists, got stuck in the snow and had to be rescued by a teammate, Few said.

:lmao: this line is cracking me up - what happened? from this non-descriptive line, i picture Pargo walking through 5 ft of snow, getting stuck, and needing will foster to come to his rescue and pull him out by his mohawk!