PDA

View Full Version : An All-American vote

Norcalzag
12-17-2008, 05:55 PM
The Seattle PI's college basketball writer, Dan Raley, notes in his blog that several college hoops experts had picked an early season All-American team for ESPN.com. (Something to help fill out a slow December news day, apparently.) UW's Jon Brockman was a second-team pick of four of the 10 voters. He didn't participate in the actual vote, but in his blog Raley offered up his own choices:

If ESPN had asked, my All-American team would have [Arizona State's James]Harden, North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough, Davidson's Stephen Curry, Oklahoma's Blake Griffin and Gonzaga's Josh Heytvelt, with only the latter a highly debatable pick, especially since a lot of basketball experts are a lot higher on his teammate, Austin Daye. I like the Clarkston big fellah, his quickness, toughness and 3-point shot. Daye is not known for his defense.

Kiddwell
12-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Kiddwell would LOVE to see Josh fulfill his potential this entire year and earn All-American accolades. Even second or third team AA would be wonderful. He's gotta stay healthy (and it'd be nice if Robert Sacre would come back strong and healthy to give Josh some important breathers down the stretch).

At this stage of the season (with the competition he's faced so far), I like Josh's chances for All America.

:]

GUZagDenver
12-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Josh has had a great year so far, but is not even close to being named an AA at this point. I know we love our team, but come on? He had 6 points and 1 field goal against Jordan Hill! I hope he shows up against another NBA center in Thabeet on Saturday.

2011Zag
12-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Josh has played some really good games this year and I think it's only going to get better, but I think the idea of AA is a bit much right now. This thread kind of reminds me of something I would see on CougFan or DawgMan about how Baynes has dominated every big man he has played or how Pondexter is a first round pick. I like to think our board has more humility than those other ones that seem to be living in delusion-land.

(I do think it could definitely happen, but it's a little early IMO)

Kiddwell
12-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Granted, Josh didn't have a stellar outing against UA. Looking at the season in total so far, however, I think he's played well. So, apparently, does that columnist. (And all players, even AA's, have the occasional letdown.)

This weekend's tilt with UConn will be telling.

Till Josh proves otherwise, Kiddwell's gonna stubbornly expect great things for Josh through the season's remainder, followed by post-season accolades.

:]