PDA

View Full Version : BIS Weather - Pray For Us!

75Zag
12-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Western WA and the Portland Metro area are predicted to receive some ugly weather over the next 24 - 48 hours. The kind of weather that closes I-5. We are looking at our contingency plans and we are really hoping that the weather folks are doing their usual job of over-hyping this storm. But if they are right, I may have to walk to Seattle (unless the GU plane would like to stop by and pick me up?) My brother reports that some events scheduled for tomorrow and Thursday in Seattle are already being canceled in anticipation of the storm. Again, hope this is groundless hype and that we will all be at the BIS as scheduled. Yikes!

RenoZag
12-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I will throw a few lapsed Catholic prayers into the bucket of good intentions on your behalf, 75. . .

Hope you make it and all travelling to the BIS get there safe and sound.

MedZag
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
As I said in the Foo, it's looking more and more likely that I won't be able to make it to BiS as well. If you think Portland metro is bad, you should see council crest right now... inch thick sheet ice everywhere which the system is only going to add to. My car is stuck on a steep shaded sidestreet, which means no sand or plowing and that I'm going to have to wait for everything to thaw naturally. What a shame, besides the game, BiS is my one opportunity each year to catch up with old friends.

Grad Zag
12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
I will be traveling from the Spokane area on Friday. I am hoping that the pass won't be closed. In preparation I purchased tire chains today. Hope everyone drives safe and we all get to watch our Zags come away with a win:)

Oregon Zag
12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
I was just thinking about posting something similar. I checked Amtrak and they are sold out for one leg of the trip so that's out. It's the ice that really concerns me. How are things in Seattle now? Anyone out there willing to report on the weather? I'm furiously trying to come up with alternatives, options. We may try to go up I-5 on Friday and stay overnight so we would be sure to be there. I hope the teams won't have trouble getting there.

Rangerzag
12-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Roads here in Pierce County have been fine this week. Those who commute to our downtown Tacoma office may have seen slow movement in morning traffic but not really that much worse than any other day. Most of the serious weather concerns forecast have not come true..........so far.

National Weather Service site for Seattle: (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Seattle&state=WA&site=SEW&textField1=47.6344&textField2=-122.342)

Reports from local airports: (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/other_obs.php?wfo=sew&zone=WAZ508)

(http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/other_obs.php?wfo=sew&zone=WAZ508)

thickman1
12-16-2008, 08:02 PM
The weather reach is great - I'm supposed to fly out of Milwaukee to Seattle on Friday and they're expecting 1 foot of snow thursday night/friday morning. Lovely.

fedwayzag
12-16-2008, 08:28 PM
So far the weather is clear and dry. Supposed to have some snow tomorrow and possibly Thursday. Also, calling for snow on Saturday. Make sure you slow down and drive safe. I would give yourself about an extra hr to get to the Key if it is snowing. Don't want to be late for introductions and the start of the game. Should be wild. We need to make noise for the boys.

billyberu
12-17-2008, 12:24 AM
It's unfortunate that western Washington has only a handful of plows available for such a huge metropolitan area. I live in Bonney Lake, a plateau overlooking Sumner, and it can be downright demoralizing driving down the hill on Hwy. 410. A couple of years ago I was working near Everett and we received some significant (for this part of the state) snowfall in Dec. 06. I fired up the old trusty Jeep Cherokee and slogged my way to work. Once I got past damnation alley that is hwy. 410 it was eerily calm out on the interstate. Except for the occasional abandoned vehicle that is all too common around here (in snowstorms) there were barely any vehicles on the road.

If you can brave the conditions you may expect very light vehicular traffic in Seattle. Seems the folks out here aren't too keen on driving in the snow.

I'll see y'all at BIS.

ZagManFan
12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Here's a link to the pass report....

1-2 feet tonight, but tails off Friday and Saturday. Still, not very good road conditions.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/forecast/Default.aspx?zone=WA519

BoZarth
12-17-2008, 01:20 PM
It really isn't that bad in the level areas North of Seattle which tends to get more snow than the city itself. The hills are the real problem.

I'll never understand why the State does such a poor job maintaining Snoqualmie pass. The Rocky Mountain state passes are at much higher elevation and safer and easier to drive.

Drive carefully.

BoZarth

BobZag
12-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Drive slow, be patient, be prepared with good snow or all-weather tires, maybe bring some chains, and just drive very cautiously. Account for extra time to get where you're going.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Here's hoping Texas Southern can get here (assuming today is their travel day). Talk about a terrible day to be flying into Spokane.

WestSeattleZag
12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Seattle Schools canceled Wednesday classes (decided Tuesday night) and the city woke up to all of the snow and ice that had been on the ground for the past three days ALL melted. The "WINTER BLAST 08" that was supposed to come last night and today ended up being a 37 degree day, rainy at sometimes and with the sun coming out occasionally...Hopefully the pass won't be too bad but Seattle should be fine. Thanks Steve Pool...

Rangerzag
12-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I5 from Olympia to Tacoma was littered with 4wd's in the ditch. One of the guys I work with said they would go flyin' by in the fast lane and he would honk and wave at them in the ditch as he moseyed by later ;)

My best guess is weather will not be as bad as predicted. The worst will be south of Olympia and through the mountains east. Then I5 will be clogged up if you wait till the Mercer St exit to get off. Arriving early for the BIS is always a good plan.

Zaga86
12-18-2008, 06:34 AM
I live in Spokane and lets just say if you haven't left already I would not plan on making it over the pass. There is easily 20 inches outside my house.

lawzag
12-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Zaga - I plan on leaving tomorrow morning - hopefully the snow plows will have plowed by then.... I too live in Spokane & have OVER 20" of fresh snow on my driveway & in the street.......

gbnyba17
12-18-2008, 06:52 AM
all finals are canceled, hall le lu ya. but seriously, this weather is nuts.

hockeyzag
12-18-2008, 06:53 AM
I tried to get out of my driveway this morning and didn't even make it into the street. I am supposed to drive that same car over the pass from Spokane to Seattle to get to the game. I pray that this dies down and they make some progress on the roads or the ticket I paid ridiculous money for is going to sit in Spokane in my pocket.